Author Topic: An Interesting Merge  (Read 1657 times)

Offline jerkins

• Nickel Member
An Interesting Merge
« on: December 02, 2008, 12:54:07 AM »
I just thought this was kind of interesting and you might enjoy it also.

interesting_merge.ahf
Jerkins
Strike Bandits
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
Re: An Interesting Merge
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 09:43:54 AM »
Very nice, I especially like the shot you made.  :aok
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 04:56:18 PM »
Linky not working for me.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 10:08:56 AM »
it'd work for me if my semi-anal retentive security settings would let it.   :noid
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 03:49:26 PM »
Fianlly got the link to work, and I found it nothing new. The only thing you did that was diffrent from mine, is that you E merged him. I just go for the stright fight.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
United States Marine

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 04:25:03 PM »
it'd work for me if my semi-anal retentive security settings would let it.   :noid

Hey, are you in the security software business?  :D
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 04:31:01 PM »
Thats actually one of Cretons (among others) favorite merges. It will work well in a plane with some "zoom" or a bird like the 109K with a lot of raw power. IMO its not really an E opener at all but more of an angles to E to angles since its dependent on what the other guy is doing to a degree. Basically its creating an "under" on the remerge such that if the bpge went angles on the initial merge he's left with a losing position on the remerge. If the con goes for a double E on the opener your sitting ugly (although with the mossies guns and zoom you might get a look). where that merge gets interesting is if the bogie elects to initiate a 2 circle fight...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline jerkins

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 07:10:36 PM »
Fianlly got the link to work, and I found it nothing new. The only thing you did that was diffrent from mine, is that you E merged him. I just go for the stright fight.

Wasnt saying it was anything new, I just thought the mossy stall was interesting.  The mossy does not always stall so controllably.

Thats actually one of Cretons (among others) favorite merges. It will work well in a plane with some "zoom" or a bird like the 109K with a lot of raw power. IMO its not really an E opener at all but more of an angles to E to angles since its dependent on what the other guy is doing to a degree. Basically its creating an "under" on the remerge such that if the bpge went angles on the initial merge he's left with a losing position on the remerge. If the con goes for a double E on the opener your sitting ugly (although with the mossies guns and zoom you might get a look). where that merge gets interesting is if the bogie elects to initiate a 2 circle fight...

Yep, I think the first to pull a merge like this on me was jamusta.  I dueled creton (though he may not remember) a couple of times when i first started, kind of a squad dueling goofing off thing.  He womped me pretty good, and held off guns a lot until he was dead six on me.  I didnt even know what he was doing at the time.
Jerkins
Strike Bandits
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »
Wasnt saying it was anything new, I just thought the mossy stall was interesting.  The mossy does not always stall so controllably.
I noticed that, I just thought you were talking about the merge itself. In that case, I think what you did was you got lucky with which way it stalled, you didn't use any flaps from what I saw, and I realy don't know how much control you put in it. The only peson that I know that can control a stall like that and do it everytime is Blukitty.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
United States Marine

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 08:37:58 PM »
there is a moment between normal flight and stall when you must initiate whatever turn you want or fall uncontrolled. The margin for error in the mossy is slim but sometimes even the worst unplanned stalls can work out.  mmm   guns
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 04:37:25 PM »
Thats what I'm saying, you can get lucky every once and a wile, but there is a few people that can do it almost everytime. Blukitty is one of them. :)
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
United States Marine

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 12:36:55 AM »
The video left me with a question from an aircraft modeling point of view, how is it that the Mossy maintained directional control down to 20 miles per hour?  It didn't lose directional until 16 miles per hour, perhaps a little more.  The aircraft did not have counter rotating props.   The mossy had a big tail, but not enough to counter the P-factor from 2800 horse power even if it was at idle and it seemed to be at some power setting, not zero thrust.  try taking off in a mossy and not hold right rudder below 60 miles per hour and you end up off to the left side of the  runnway.  Something not right here?  I'm not saying that the fight wan't a good one, just that I don't think the real aircraft would have been able to do that.  Not without a major loss of directional control.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline jerkins

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 09:37:18 AM »
As batfink was saying, its all about timing of you control surfaces.  I was applying rudder and opposite aileron to keep it straight, then I cut throttle when very slow to help fight the torque.  I set the plane up to stall like that before i reached the 20mph mark, by 75mph or so, the plane is already stalling and further inputs do very little. 

Of course, a little luck go's a long way.  As I said before, the mossy can get into some ugly stalls.  Sometime you can get into a nasty upside down flat spin, which I have trouble recovering from.
Jerkins
Strike Bandits
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 10:49:14 AM »
As batfink was saying, its all about timing of you control surfaces.  I was applying rudder and opposite aileron to keep it straight, then I cut throttle when very slow to help fight the torque.  I set the plane up to stall like that before i reached the 20mph mark, by 75mph or so, the plane is already stalling and further inputs do very little. 

Of course, a little luck go's a long way.  As I said before, the mossy can get into some ugly stalls.  Sometime you can get into a nasty upside down flat spin, which I have trouble recovering from.

That was my point, even with moderate power setting the tail surface is to small to allow a pilot to hold directional control below 75MPH.  The mossy in the video goes a long way without losing directional control(Yaw) at speeds well below 75MPH   That's why I questioned the aircraft model.  The flaps do nothing to create additional tail surface on the rudder.  Ailerons on the mossy may have pervented roll, but yaw is all about rudder and I saw no yaw until an indicated air speed  of 16 MPH. That is why I questioned the aircraft model. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes