Author Topic: Fix the Collisions.........  (Read 5245 times)

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Fix the Collisions.........
« Reply #150 on: December 14, 2008, 01:21:03 PM »
Yup "stuck on stupid".   :rofl
See Rule #4

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #151 on: December 14, 2008, 03:12:52 PM »
It is what it is, what is it with all the denial.....  :noid

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,,,,,,, got to be a duck.... :rofl
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 03:14:31 PM by Dadsguns »

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #152 on: December 14, 2008, 03:35:50 PM »
Reposted for the "stuck on stupid" crowd.

Sorry, but there is no way in hell you are going to be happy, if you successfully avoid a collision, by 50 feet and then blow up because the other guy decides not to avoid the collision and takes you out. 

What you want is to give the other player control over what happens to your plane.  Right now, you have control over whether or not your plane collides.

As much as you are complaining about the current collision system, I can only imagine the tirades if we gave control of your plane being blown up to the other player.  That is essentially what you are asking for.

Unless you are asking for every computer in the world, connected to the game, to have the exact representation of the game at the exact instant in time.  That would be cool!  Now,...tell us how to violate the speed of light and we will be all over it, while you are receiving your Noble in physics.

I am not trying to be a smart-aleck or disrespectful, but I cannot figure out what the heck it is you want.  First, you complain about players "ramming" you and them not dieing, then you want to give those same players the ability to destroy your plane by "ramming" you so you will die even when you avoid the collision.  Quite the conundrum.

See Rule #4

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #153 on: December 14, 2008, 03:40:25 PM »
 :rofl

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #154 on: December 15, 2008, 03:37:10 AM »
Had you bothered to read what he typed, you would have noted that he didn't say anything about the "game" seeing things...he said his and the other guy's computers.

The quote I qouted:

Ok I see what your saying, the game has a hard time seeing the colision in 3D, thanks for the insight <S>

What did I miss?

wrongway
(picking nits)
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #155 on: December 15, 2008, 11:51:41 AM »
2D or 3D makes no difference.  The issue is time.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2008, 03:28:53 PM »

More or less lag...

With lag, everyone has a slight bit of it (packet travel time), you're plane is like being pulled on a rope, the more lag you have, the longer the rope. You see yourself ahead of where other people see you (your packets are already at your computer, so it "loads" them) where your packets for other people to see them have to go through the main server, then "off into other peoples comp." where it can be "loaded" and processed then displayed. So, how about a quick diagram...

- = rope segment.

-------------|
     |           ^You see yourself here.
     ^Other people see you here.

So, the issue is lag, then not only that, but you have 2 peoples lag to display, which is where the issue of the 'one sided collision' comes into play.

Hope I helped clear this up a bit.
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #157 on: December 15, 2008, 03:56:17 PM »

Ok I see what your saying, the game has a hard time seeing the colision in 3D, thanks for the insight <S>

That's not correct BP ... the "game" (running on my and your box) sees everything in X,Y,Z coordinates (3D) ... Z being the 3rd dimension (vertical).

The "game" sees everything just fine ... now the players ? ... that's a horse of a different color.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2008, 04:55:39 PM »
The quote I qouted:

What did I miss?

wrongway
(picking nits)

Put the damned nits back where you got them from!!! Then you can note that I quoted someone else that said something else and had nothing to do with what BP said. :)

NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
The Theory of Relatifity
« Reply #159 on: December 15, 2008, 05:00:15 PM »

Time, is not absoloot. Therefore, the issue is "relatifity".

Ven you haf two planes A und B flying in the vicinity of each other, the posizion of the opponent plane which each pilots may perzeive, ist different to one another according to the speed of data transmission.

Many tend to think that the firtual skies of AH is a single, given "space" vich is absoloot, but in reality, it ist nothing but a medium which relays data from both the komputers behind plane A und plane B, und then which posizion is displayed in a relatif manner to each other according to the speed of the conneczion.

It ist fortunate that at least, modern internet conneczions are sufficient enough to bring down the disparity in posizional calculations to a matter of milliseconts - but still, as long as data trafels to und fro from different places of the Earth at different speeds, the "spacial reality" of AH is not absoloot. The pilot of plane A may obserf plane B 400 yards behind him, while the pilot of plane B may obserf plane A 300 yards in front of him.

In other words, the spacial relation between both frontends of the two players are different. There are two different realities which are slightly different from one another, but similar enough to put coherently together und describe as a singular instance.

Howefer, in collision instances, a tiny, minute differenz in the two individual of plane A und B realities may decide the difference between collision or no collision. In this case, there may be an extreme differenz in the two separate realities of plane A (vich has been determined to be "collided") und plane B (vich has been determined to be "uncollided").

Now, the issue is this: in such instance where the relative difference is so extreme, should this also be treated as a singular instance? In A's reality, he has collided, so it is everybit fair to say that A should be damaged. However, in B's reality, he has not collided - and yet, must he suffer the consequence of something vich did not happen to him at all?

Thus, comes in the collision system of AH - which, in a rare fashion, decides to split the two, extremely different realities of plane A und B, und treat it separately.

It can not be done othervize, since the current system means that as long as you vatch yourself and do not collide on your own frontend, you vill be safe. Therefore, there is no such thing as an unexplained, unexpected collision. If a collision did happen in vich you are damaged and the opponent ist not, vat happent to the "other plane" is a non-issue. Vat happens to him, is vat happens in his reality, not yours. The only thing vich ist important is vat happent in your reality, and in that separate reality, you haf collided, and thus, you are damaged.

The physical vorld of Aces High is solid in that matter. Every collision has a reason, and therefore, can be estimated or expected. Hitech does not play dice."

- Albert Kweainstein -

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 05:09:04 PM by Kweassa »

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #160 on: December 15, 2008, 05:01:31 PM »
That's not correct BP ... the "game" (running on my and your box) sees everything in X,Y,Z coordinates (3D) ... Z being the 3rd dimension (vertical).

The "game" sees everything just fine ... now the players ? ... that's a horse of a different color.

understand Slap, thanks <S>

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2008, 05:02:47 PM »
Wait a funny post by Kweasa???
 :noid
See Rule #4

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2008, 05:07:38 PM »
Wait a funny post by Kweasa???

Just explaining the Theory of Collisional Relativity, to the laymen of modern day AH physics.

ps) I'd have dragged in the Theory of Uncertainty also, but decided not to, since it only applies when someone has a really, really bad connection problem.

"It is impossible to estimate just where and how a plane will appear. Nothing is certain in the world of Quantum Lag Physics"

- Werner Kweaizenberg -
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 05:12:37 PM by Kweassa »

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #163 on: December 15, 2008, 05:12:10 PM »
- Just explaining the Theory of Collisional Relativity, to the laymen of modern day AH physics. -
Aye and well done. :lol :aok
See Rule #4

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #164 on: December 15, 2008, 05:34:04 PM »
I loled.  You win two internets!   :lol
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace