Author Topic: Fix the Collisions.........  (Read 5240 times)

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
Re: Fix the Collisions.........
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2008, 12:53:05 PM »
Skuzzy, here's your million dollar idea, (you've probably thought of this before and it can't be done) what if you control the packet at the server level, that is regardless how fast or slow the connection is to the server the server software as it were controlled what happens in the game, you see what the server see's.  Or is that what the famous or infamous "smoothing" software was alledged to do.  If this could be accomplished wouldn't it eliminate this problem?
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2008, 02:31:15 PM »
Skuzzy, here's your million dollar idea, (you've probably thought of this before and it can't be done) what if you control the packet at the server level, that is regardless how fast or slow the connection is to the server the server software as it were controlled what happens in the game, you see what the server see's.  Or is that what the famous or infamous "smoothing" software was alledged to do.  If this could be accomplished wouldn't it eliminate this problem?
I could be wrong (and if past history is any indication, I probably am), but the effect of what you are asking for is 700+ people all trying to dial into one server, and that server is the only computer responsible for running the game.  Imagine how incredibly S S S L L L O O O O O W W W that would make everything (unless HTC owns a CRAY). In a game where the object is to fly an aircraft at 300 mph, I would say this would be an impossible situation.

Back years ago when I played BF1942, I avoided any server running a game with 64 open slots because the lag was simply too much.  Can't imagine 700.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2008, 04:35:28 PM »
I can't find it now, but a few months back there was a huge thread about the collision model (as there always is every couple of months). I think it was HiTech or Pyro who said something like that would require you to be thinking in seconds per frame as opposed to frames per second. And then there was a little witty quip at the end like 'Yes, but then we wouldn't have all of these collision threads' or something.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2008, 04:39:40 PM »
leave em as they are. You collided... oh well :)
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2008, 04:47:46 PM »
Here is the fix....
Remove the white text.
See Rule #4

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2008, 05:48:10 PM »
LOL thats why I'm no game provider, sorry it was just a wild haired idea.

I will say one thing, I've never flown away from a collision.  Not even when rammed from behind and I get the message So and So has collided with you.  just saying

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 05:51:30 PM by Hungry »
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2008, 12:35:02 AM »
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2008, 01:49:56 AM »
Here is the fix....
Remove the white text.
I personally don't think that will solve anything, because then everyone will assume all collisions affect both planes anyway.  So you will still get the "why did I go down in flames and he fly away scott free?" whines.

At least with the current system, most people with half a brain can get it if they choose to.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #128 on: December 08, 2008, 12:11:32 PM »
I personally don't think that will solve anything, because then everyone will assume all collisions affect both planes anyway.  So you will still get the "why did I go down in flames and he fly away scott free?" whines.

At least with the current system, most people with half a brain can get it if they choose to.

what kind of statement was that? "with 1/2 a brain" I am assuming you consider yourself on the side with the whole brain. Seems to me the guys defending the current collision set up are the ones that survive the collision more than they die. If 2 cars crash into one another they both are damaged. Come on... it doesn't take a 1/4 brain to realize that the current situation is realistic.

Years ago we had a small plane collided with a jet liner, both went down. Now in the AH world since the Piper crashed into the jet liner the Piper would survive.

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #129 on: December 08, 2008, 12:48:37 PM »

what kind of statement was that? "with 1/2 a brain" I am assuming you consider yourself on the side with the whole brain. Seems to me the guys defending the current collision set up are the ones that survive the collision more than they die. If 2 cars crash into one another they both are damaged. Come on... it doesn't take a 1/4 brain to realize that the current situation is realistic.

Years ago we had a small plane collided with a jet liner, both went down. Now in the AH world since the Piper crashed into the jet liner the Piper would survive.

People with "half a brain" realize that the current collision model is the only fair and workable solution given the nature of the internet.

And this is coming from one who almost always goes down from a collision.  If I collided it's my fault since it was a collison on my computer screen, regardless of what the other guy saw.  I often send appologies if I run into someone.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #130 on: December 08, 2008, 12:59:41 PM »
why can't both planes go down instead of just one?  Would it be that hard to program it into the game?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2008, 01:20:39 PM »
why can't both planes go down instead of just one?  Would it be that hard to program it into the game?

Last try:

This is a typical collision. P51 is intentionally "ramming" a P47. Le'ts say I am the Pony pilot and you are flying the Jug.

Now this is exact the moment of collision.

This is what I see:

I run into you and take damage

This is what YOU see:

You see me flying past you maybe 50ft away. Nothing happens to you.

Now tell me that you would find it "realistic" when you would take damage from this collision. Look closeley at the second pic: I never touched you on your screen. When you now say "Both should go down" - You would actually take damage without ever a collision happening on your screen.
You really wouldn't mind to die from this?

"Both go down" does mean nothing less as people dying from collision they NEVER did see. And it means dodging rams is nearly impossible.

You can't simply transfer "real life" results to Aces High because the internet doesn't work like real life. Real life has no latency. Until now each of your arguments is simply ignoring that very basic and unchangeable fact.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 01:25:25 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #132 on: December 08, 2008, 01:44:36 PM »
Last try:

This is a typical collision. P51 is intentionally "ramming" a P47. Le'ts say I am the Pony pilot and you are flying the Jug.

Now this is exact the moment of collision.

This is what I see:
(Image removed from quote.)
I run into you and take damage

This is what YOU see:
(Image removed from quote.)
You see me flying past you maybe 50ft away. Nothing happens to you.

Now tell me that you would find it "realistic" when you would take damage from this collision. Look closeley at the second pic: I never touched you on your screen. When you now say "Both should go down" - You would actually take damage without ever a collision happening on your screen.
You really wouldn't mind to die from this?

"Both go down" does mean nothing less as people dying from collision they NEVER did see. And it means dodging rams is nearly impossible.

You can't simply transfer "real life" results to Aces High because the internet doesn't work like real life. Real life has no latency. Until now each of your arguments is simply ignoring that very basic and unchangeable fact.

Ok I see what your saying, the game has a hard time seeing the colision in 3D, thanks for the insight <S>

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #133 on: December 08, 2008, 01:49:56 PM »

BP....it's simple really.....because HT doesn't want it that way. He has stated more than once that to do so would make ramming a "tactic" and he won't do that.

This is why the onus is on the player to make sure that he doesn't collide. The reality of the situation is that it isn't difficult to avoid collisions and that is the point of the collision model.

NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2008, 01:59:13 PM »

Ok I see what your saying, the game has a hard time seeing the colision in 3D,

No, it doesn't and that's not what I'm saying. Because it reads again as if the program has any problem or fault.

The problem is latency. The fact that both you and me see things different (as the two pics clearly show) os just a result of the internet. Latency. Signals need time to travel from your computer to mine. When my computer gets the message from yours "I'm at position XYZ", time has already passed and we both have moved on in the mean time. Hence the difference between our two Front Ends as shown above
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman