Author Topic: Fix the Collisions.........  (Read 5145 times)

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Fix the Collisions.........
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2008, 05:08:11 PM »
Wow there is alot of arguing, but I am on DGs side. I have been playing for about 2 years, and I have been to all 3 countrys, and I have noticed, when i was bish, I would lose the collisions, ALOT. Finaly when i switched to rook, it seemed that it stoped happening... Let me guess DG, you are a bish right? and this fellow you "ran into" (pun intended) a nit? or a rook? (i think the nits have supereor collision models) This would explain every thing.

I suggest you read skuzzy's 1st post.... again.
See Rule #4

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2008, 05:22:03 PM »
DG I don't mean to repeat myself, but the answer is right there for you.  If you got a 'shot down' message, it means you received damage from an enemy. That means from either a collision or enemy fire. IOW he landed bullets on you. Not hard to do from literally point blank.

If you got a X collided with you message, but no white You have collided message, you can disregard it.. You're not affected.

The collision issue doesn't seem to be one unless you got the rare bug I described. All you have to do is dodge his plane on your screen, regardless of what happens on his. What you see is what you get.

I hate to repeat myself any further, yet the answer is not here.  

I did get the x collided with me message and he did get the kills for Ramming ME.  I saw that he landed them flying back at least a half a sector.

This is what I have questions about, since I understand how the concept works.  I wont even count him getting the kills, or shooting me while ramming.  

If you see a message that says you collided, you receive damage to some extent, correct?

If I seen the message that says x collided with me, how could he not receive any damage?  

How could he, or is he supposed to be able to do it TWICE with the same plane since I re upped immediately to kill the rammer?

I cant say this enough, I tried to avoid the nose on, I think I can hold my own for the most part, I don't go looking for nose on kills, sometimes it happens, and I can differentiate from an accident or intentional nose on's, and this dude did it each time I saw him, just nose on approaches.  I avoided some earlier attempts, but the later ones is what I questioned since it was all he did and resulted in what I described which I found to be odd.  

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2008, 05:28:21 PM »
I hate to repeat myself any further, yet the answer is not here.  

I did get the x collided with me message and he did get the kills for Ramming ME.  I saw that he landed them flying back at least a half a sector.

This is what I have questions about, since I understand how the concept works.  I wont even count him getting the kills, or shooting me while ramming.  

If you see a message that says you collided, you receive damage to some extent, correct?

If I seen the message that says x collided with me, how could he not receive any damage?  

How could he, or is he supposed to be able to do it TWICE with the same plane since I re upped immediately to kill the rammer?

I have had as little damage as loosing one gun, when I have collided. So while rare it might be possible your opponent lost a gun and 1/2 his elevator. Impossible to know without his film.
See Rule #4

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2008, 05:32:37 PM »
Impossible to know without his film.

I realize that, and even harder to explain without it appearing that I am being deceptive or truthful about what happened.  But it happened as I have explained and that is all I can say.

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2008, 05:35:20 PM »
I did get the x collided with me message and he did get the kills for Ramming ME.  I saw that he landed them flying back at least a half a sector.
He may have gotten only minor damage on his plane.  All you know was that there was contact, not how much. What looked like a fatal collision on your screen might've been a minor clip on his. 
Next, are you sure you didnt catch any of his bullets?
Next, you couldn't not have taken any bullets if you specificaly remember not getting a white 'You have collided' message.  (Unless Im remembering it wrong and its the X has collided with you message that's in white text).

'To some extent' including only partial damage (sounds weird but it happens sometimes, pretty rare tho). That means you took damage but not enough to break something so it shows up red in the damage list.

Same thing as above, only applied to him.

That has never come up in any conversation about collisions.. Why do you think a collision would happen twice?  The white/orange collision messages are separate from ballistics and handled differently - whereas with collisions what you see is what you get, what the shooter sees is what both the shooter and shootee get.

I cant say this enough, I tried to avoid the nose on, I think I can hold my own for the most part, I don't go looking for nose on kills, sometimes it happens, and I can differentiate from an accident or intentional nose on's, and this dude did it each time I saw him, just nose on approaches.
So he's a HOer.. Thats a separate subject from collisions.
I avoided some earlier attempts, but the later ones is what I questioned since it was all he did and resulted in what I described which I found to be odd. 
It still remains to be clear exactly what the problem is with what you're describing. From everything you've said, nothing's wrong.. Only your apparent misunderstanding of how collisions work and what actualy happened in that encounter.

Gotta bug out
<S>
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2008, 05:59:53 PM »
Next, are you sure you didnt catch any of his bullets?
Next, you couldn't not have taken any bullets if you specificaly remember not getting a white 'You have collided' message.  (Unless Im remembering it wrong and its the X has collided with you message that's in white text).

Probably did on at least one of thos passes since he was (from my screen) straight nose on.

I did not get any message that said "You have collided", only "player A has collided".  (I dont recall the color, but I did read them)

I was killed after the collision messages were posted, not before.

After the first collision I immediatly reupped and since he was close enough to the field and low, he rammed me again.  I assume he immediatly flew home with what ever damage if any back to his field, I said at least a half sector, most 1 sector.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »
One of the issues I am having with your description, is you keep saying he "rammed" you.

That concept does not exist in the collision model.  The proper way to say it, is as follows (and no, this is not about semantics), "My computer detected an intersection with another object."  Or you can say, "My computer detected an intersection with another plane."

There is no such thing as "ramming" anyone.  You can take your best shot at trying to "ram" someone, but it does not mean anything unless the remote computer decides your plane has intersected with his plane.

In the case where a head on happens, and one plane appears to fly through another it is almost always due to one of the planes being marked as destroyed, but the client has not had time to blow it up yet and dump you back to the tower.  In other words, one of the computers decided it had intersected with an object and it was dead.  More than likely, it was your computer that did that.  The other computer had not detected the collision yet and by the time it arrived, your plane had already been marked as destroyed.  Could have been gunfire as well.

Without a film it is all speculation.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2008, 07:18:38 PM »
I am using ramming to describe his action as it seemed that was his intent, sorry.   :lol

If "My computer detected an intersection with another plane",  what would the message I should have recieved been?  That "I have collided with"?

« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 07:27:57 PM by Dadsguns »

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2008, 07:33:22 PM »
IIRC...
SYSTEM:You have collided
Means that a collision was detected on your FE.

SYSTEM:Adonai has collided with you
Means that your Adonai's (just for the sake of example) FE has detected a collision.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2008, 07:34:40 PM »
I am using ramming to describe his action as it seemed that was his intent, sorry.   :lol

If "My computer detected an intersection with another plane",  what would the message I should have recieved been?

"You have collided".  It would be in orange.  One thing that has caused confusion in the past is that orange messages do not show on film (unless that has been fixed and I am unaware).  So, while reviewing film, sometimes people see only the white "XXXX has collided with you", do not see the orange, and assume they took damage from a white message.  This is NOT the case, it is only that the orange system text does not appear on the film viewer.

You can not know it was his intent to ram you.  Quite the contrary, there is every reason to suspect that he attempted to jink at the last moment, and timed it a fraction of a second late.  Due to the latency/lag, even after he jinks on his computer, for a fraction of a second he still appears to fly straight on your PC.  That is why you see him "fly straight through" your plane (vaporizing your plane in the process, since that is what YOUR PC saw) when in his reality, he probably pulled up sharply and his PC detected your prop scraping a rear stabilizer or elevator or (as has happened to me on several occasions) his tail wheel.  Although that part of his aircraft would be damaged, it would not be apparent to you during your second sortie.  The second collision for him was likely just as minor, hence he was able to fly back and land.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2008, 08:08:48 AM »
You actually have stated the obvious, you can game the merge and its what I wanted to confirm all along.

again, this isnt me ramming all the time, as stated waaayyy below, I was rammed by someone who I think was gaming the merge by doing what you described.  Intentionaly and matter of factley this player came directly at me every turn, Twice with the same plane, the system DID NOT say I collided, it said HE collided both times, yet I died.  Isnt that odd? 

This is exactley what I suspected, that the player would "Jink" at the last moment or "Jink" before or after me to not be penalized the collision. 

And yes, the system said HE collided TWICE and landed the plane, with two kills. 

You cannot "game" the merge ... you either hit/intersect with the other plane or you don't.

It appears that you found someone who comes "head on" ... guns blazing (without tracers maybe) ... and at the last moment (on his FE) he maneuvers to try and avoid a collision.

From what you have described it appears that he may have had "minor" collisions that didn't make his plane completely un-flyable ... and your demise was a result to getting a face full of lead and had nothing to do with the "collisions".

I don't think it's odd ... I think he was lucky ... twice.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2008, 08:10:41 AM »
Wow there is alot of arguing, but I am on DGs side. I have been playing for about 2 years, and I have been to all 3 countrys, and I have noticed, when i was bish, I would lose the collisions, ALOT. Finaly when i switched to rook, it seemed that it stoped happening... Let me guess DG, you are a bish right? and this fellow you "ran into" (pun intended) a nit? or a rook? (i think the nits have supereor collision models) This would explain every thing.

:rofl

:rolleyes:

:noid
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2008, 01:16:18 PM »
Please note that "You have collided" just means that there was a collision on your Front End (=screen).
It doesn't mean it's your fault, that you did actively fly into someone else, it's not putting the blame on anyone.

AH Training Corps Website: How lag affects Aces High

from my understanding if the letters show up in white you have been collided into by another player, if it's in orange you were the one that collided. By the way I have gone down from a collision that I caused while the other player did not. I was diving on a player and was compressing and ran into the back of his plane.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2008, 01:39:56 PM »

from my understanding if the letters show up in white you have been collided into by another player's image on your screen, if it's in orange you were the one that collided. By the way I have gone down from a collision that I caused while the other player did not. I was diving on a player and was compressing and ran into the back of his plane.
You need to understand that there are two realities at work at any point in time, as far as collisions are concerned. One on your screen, and another on the other guy's screen. 
The only alternate reality which players are made to pay for regardless of how different it is from the one on their screen is that of gunfire hits. In that case, there's still two realities (one on your screen, another on the other guy's screen), but it's the reality of the shooter that has the last word (assuming nothing prevents his computer from telling the server about those hits).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 01:41:43 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2008, 01:48:21 PM »
You need to understand that there are two realities at work at any point in time, as far as collisions are concerned. One on your screen, and another on the other guy's screen. 
The only alternate reality which players are made to pay for regardless of how different it is from the one on their screen is that of gunfire hits. In that case, there's still two realities (one on your screen, another on the other guy's screen), but it's the reality of the shooter that has the last word (assuming nothing prevents his computer from telling the server about those hits).

I was on a guys six.... no bullets fired from him. Bullets fired and landed by me, I ran into his plane I went down he didn't . So do I take my computer to the tool shed for not tell AH's server that I am the guy shooting not him?