Author Topic: Kills: duke it out or quick and easy?  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
Re: Kills: duke it out or quick and easy?
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2008, 11:30:04 AM »
Both. 

If I wanna duke it out, I take a 109 or an F6F, or maybe a P38.

Quick and easy?  P51 and 47 boom n' zoom. 
"You rebel scum"

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2008, 11:34:14 AM »
What if I worked for it and now it is quick and it looks easy?  :O
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2008, 11:37:38 AM »
I'm more of a tactics and marksmanship guy than a dogfighter, so I prefer to work for a quick and easy, if that makes any sense. Set the guy up for a hard hammer blow or draw him into making a stupid mistake and then smash him to pieces. To my mind, getting drawn into a furball or drawn down into a slow knife fight on the deck means a failure in planning or wrong tactics.

Nothing against guys who prefer fights like that (they make great bait) but its just not for me.

Here's my question, what do you do if you dont have the advantage?

IRL you didnt get to choose the circumstances of every engagement, what if your cast in the role of VMF-221 at Midway or the 39th Squadron flying P-400's out of Port moresby in 1942? This entire argument of a "failure in planning" is hogwash. Basically your saying I want to control the fight and only engage with the advantage and the ability to disengage at will.

To me its simple, I like to win...end of story. However I recognize that true victory can only come by prevailing in a true contest of skill. Accordingly I also accept and embrace the possibility of defeat. No true gain is possible without the real risk of loss and any "victory" achieved without true risk is hollow meaningless and without merit.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2008, 11:42:27 AM »
No true gain is possible without the real risk of loss and any "victory" achieved without true risk is hollow meaningless and without merit.

but it looks good on the score page and helps you pick up chicks at bars!!    :noid
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2008, 11:43:55 AM »
I prefer to kill them quick so I can move on to the next target.

My longest fights tend to be ones when I'm at a starting disadvantage and have to work to gain parity.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2008, 11:44:09 AM »
but it looks good on the score page and helps you pick up chicks at bars!!    :noid

being able to kill stuff in ahii does help me pick up chicks at the bar. true story!
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2008, 11:44:27 AM »
I play the SA game (max thinking min physical effort). I prefer my kills like they most often happened in real with first bounce to an unknown victim. I am most **ssed when at some rare occasions someone kills me without me even noticing him :) I also respect those who can do that to me. Naturally there are sometimes AFK kills amoung the bounces, which are a slight bore, but it's not my fault if they fail to be there to see their deaths ;). The best ones are those where one clearly sees how the victim is trying to wiggle at the last moments  :t

When I need to be engaged in serious furball, my SA has already failed me or I am just fooling around without caring much about possible enemies above me. To me that is the arcade side of an otherwise sim-like game.

Yes, I try to land my kills.

Fortunately this game affords us all to play it differently. I only wish all people would grant everyone else their liberty to choose their own style without whining  :D

Nicely put. In a lot of ways good fightering is like good pool. When you watch pro pool players on TV, they are rarely having to make hard shots. A well played game of pool is a combination of fore-thinking and meticulous execution. The end result is usually a succession of relatively easy shots resulting in a win.

Fighter combat is no different. A quick and relatively easy kill is usually the result of good execution, fore-thinking, gunnery and timing. It doesn't happen by accident. I like a nice drawn out fight too when possible, but in general, if I'm in a turn 'n burn merry-go-round with my pants around my ankles for any enemy that cares to take a pass at me, I fugged up somewhere in my planning, execution, shotmaking and/or forethinking.
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2008, 11:44:43 AM »
I prefer to kill them quick so I can move on to the next target.

My longest fights tend to be ones when I'm at a starting disadvantage and have to work to gain parity.

and then get gang rapes because you can't get out of there amirite?
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2008, 12:19:51 PM »
and then get gang rapes because you can't get out of there amirite?

That's precisely WHY I like quick kills. The faster I can knock planes down, the less likely the chance I'll look around and find myself boxed in by a sea of red.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2008, 12:38:18 PM »
Yea Saxman I entirely agree.  If I know for a fact that there is not another con for miles, I really enjoy a good long 1v1.  I generally go for the tactics/marksmanship combo because A. it works out for me and B. I'm pretty sure someone else is coming along soon.  This is particularly true if I'm flying my beloved p 47 D 25 or 40.  It takes so long to get any E back that I cannot take a long time burning it up in a 1v1.  Hence, I use some tactics and gunnery (with 8 .50s, this works well :) )  to take that extra 20 seconds out of the fight. 

Regarding Humble's earlier post...
Yea its true you cannot always choose your fight.  However, giving yourself an option on a regular basis isn't too tough, with a little planning and SA.  There are very few birds in the game that I will willingly fly into the bottom half (altitude wise) of a large fight, unless absolutely necessary in a situation. (IE goonie bird sneakily dropping troops)

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2008, 12:45:01 PM »
That's precisely WHY I like quick kills. The faster I can knock planes down, the less likely the chance I'll look around and find myself boxed in by a sea of red.

Yeop, that's why I BnZ. It's the most efficient way to remain air superiority over an area. I welcome 1 v. 1, I got no problem with it and actually love it. However, 95% of the time as soon as I get tangle up in a 1 v 1. Let say P51 v D9 or w/e, we'll end up otd and it might drag out sometime up to 10 min (rarely happen) but it had happen. Then the calvery of the baddies came in and face rape me =/. I'm not afraid of 1 v. 1, im just afraid of 5 baddies jumping me after I get tangle up in a 1 v 1. 100% of the time when I'm in a D9, I'm deep in enemy air space so the odd of getting gang bang once I get low and slow is almost 100%. When I'm in a tnb plane such as 109, I usually maintain over my own air space because of the fuel issue.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96

Online captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2008, 12:49:32 PM »
i prefer the battle. anyone can BNZ. ACM is where its at!

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2008, 12:50:59 PM »
Also this is where the BnZ discussion get ugly. People generally hate it, in a furball there is no 1 v 1. It's everyman for himself. You got poor SA you pay for it. I've done enough BnZ to know that there are no way to avoid a good BnZmer once you got you on sight in a furball. People generally hate BnZ because they got poor SA, and also because they refuse to get some decend alt and go into the fight.

I've scramble a lot and get bnzed 30 secs after take off, it's normal I expected it. I'm not gunna cry about it because I know that's gunna happen. If I was careful I'd just maintain OTD head to a direction where there are no baddies, climb to 5-7k and come back. Usually I'd be too lazy to do it and get bnzed to death.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2008, 12:54:20 PM »

Anyone can BnZ yes, but do it correctly or not is the question. You got BnZmer w/ 5 kill/hour ratio. Then you got those that are 10 kill/hr.

A good BnZmer will know ACM =), you will need it to predict. Most people that BnZ fail to understand the higher you are, the slower it will take you to get on opertunity targets. I generally fly my D9 at 6-8K to the fight. Once I get to the fight and I see it's at 10k then I'd climb to 10k. I'd never go higher then 1-2k above the fight. I stay at 7k usually because most fights are at 5k and under. If it's OTD then I'd drop down to 3k.

I fly D9 most the time and I get jump by spit/la pretty much every flight, and I'd use my ACM to force them to go overshot and to create a snapshot. BnZ is great but it gets a lot better w/ good ACM.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 12:55:54 PM by Yenny »
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2008, 12:59:45 PM »

:rofl  .. So in your book only yank and bank is ACM?

BnZ includes just as much ACM, unless you understand BnZ as someting like extending out of icon range. BnZ just includes in addition keepeing ones alt and/or energy, which is essential while flying a plane which is not very nimble.

IMO, anyone can yank and bank and die, but not many can BnZ and land their kills.... especially at good hunting grounds, where there  are more enemies than friendlies ;)

I rather land 2 perfectly bounced kills than engage in a low furball to get 5 kills and die after that. But that's just me :)

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34