Author Topic: Track IR  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Track IR
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 08:38:42 PM »
its not checked and i have to lean to look behind me. is that what you are saying i should do, or should i have it checked?

<slow  :huh

That's not want he meant.
If you have it checked you would have to lean the opposite way you would do in real life.. hence it's better to leave it unchecked.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 12:22:53 PM »
I am still getting up to speed with it. It is almost learning every thing all over again & is a little disorienting at first & old habits die hard.

Offline Phil

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 01:35:54 PM »
Beware of two littl' things !!!!!!!

My set up is in my computer room office.
White walls all around and a nice window that CAPTURES the sun rays at approx 1400hrs ! Bright sunlight bouncing of walls and other
shinny things in your room may cause your trackIR to go nuts !!! :furious
My views started doin' crazy things until I closed the window blinds !

Here's a funny part ! :rofl
Although being 45yrs of age, I have lots of hair  :D
My hair dude(spike) was interfering with the reflectors(attached to head set) especially when looking up a bit. Spiked hair was(blocking) and unit started doing weird things !
So if you are balding, no problem you are clear ! If not, wear a baseball cap backwards !!!(or the PRO-CLIP)

Just for your information !

Salute
Phil /OPP7755

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 03:12:31 PM »
Although being 45yrs of age, I have lots of hair  :D
My hair dude(spike) was interfering with the reflectors(attached to head set) especially when looking up a bit. Spiked hair was(blocking) and unit started doing weird things !

:D
The cap I use for the clip is an open-top "bill" and until I figured out the problem, a lock or two of my blondish hair was causing the view to go crazy...  :aok

If no one has said it, though I think Mace has, TIR set up with an aggressive profile is better for you in the long run. In other words, set it up so that when you turn your real head just a tiny little you get a lot of virtual turn.

I also have my receiver sitting just slightly higher than the clip level on my cap. That seems to help insure good reception when I'm looking all around for the inevitable bandit on my tail.  :lol

< S >

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 02:09:28 PM »
I have one problem that I have yet to eliminate. My view when in tower moves around a lot, especially drifting back and forward. In plane, it does not do it as bad, but it is still there requiring me to center it pretty often. All background lighting is off, any ideas?   :salute
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 02:11:26 PM »
When in the tower, or a GV, I just use the hotkey that I assigned to temporarily disable the TIR and use my normal POV hat on my HOTAS.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 03:06:08 PM »
Ordered the TrackIR with the ProClip today.   :cool:  Should be here next week.   :pray  Can't wait to try it out.  I am going to sit at the mailbox like an impatient kid sitting at the tree on Christmas morning.
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 03:19:36 PM »
Ordered the TrackIR with the ProClip today.   :cool:  Should be here next week.   :pray  Can't wait to try it out.  I am going to sit at the mailbox like an impatient kid sitting at the tree on Christmas morning.
So did I  :D

After the initial weirdness you'll be so used to it that you'll never go back to the old POV hats while in flight. And for those times when you don't have it turned on, you'll probably catch yourself moving your head and wondering why the screen isn't panning around.  :lol
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 03:25:19 PM »
Not to get off subject.

ImADot where in MN are you at?  Grew up in the Waseca and Mankato area where I did all of my flight training.
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 04:53:26 PM »
Not to get off subject.

ImADot where in MN are you at?  Grew up in the Waseca and Mankato area where I did all of my flight training.

then you moved to florida  :lol
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Cobra516

• Copper Member
      • Virtual Thunderbirds
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2008, 06:42:56 PM »
TrackIR is an outstanding device, I don't how how I flew so many years without it!   It certainly has a learning curve, but be patient with it and tweak your response curves to your liking.  Over time I have incrementally made mine much more sensitive, seems like I just think about moving my head and it's moved, pretty slick.

Here's something that I didn't find until a week or two into Aces High with TrackIR - go into your Options > Preferences > View Options > and CHECK the box "TrackIR Object Relative Move" - it really changes the way TrackIR works when looking offcenter/behind you.  It makes it much more accurate / true to your head movements, makes checking your 6 a breeze.  Before I checked this TrackIR seemed to behave strangely when looking left/right/behind and leaning. 
Slipping the surly bonds.

"Ray" #3 Right Wing
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2008, 06:54:41 PM »

Here's something that I didn't find until a week or two into Aces High with TrackIR - go into your Options > Preferences > View Options > and CHECK the box "TrackIR Object Relative Move" - it really changes the way TrackIR works when looking offcenter/behind you.  It makes it much more accurate / true to your head movements,

You are sure you really mean "check" not "uncheck"? Because actually checking this box leads to a very unatural "mirror" behaviour:
With that box unchecked you have to lean left to move your virtual head to the left when looking backwards. IF you check it, you have to move to the right to lean left, as if looking into a mirror.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Cobra516

• Copper Member
      • Virtual Thunderbirds
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2008, 02:45:14 AM »
Interesting, that hasn't been my experience, it was the exact opposite of what you're describing with the box unchecked.  When I was looking backwards at my tail, if I leaned to the right (wanting to move out to view around the seat), my head would go left back towards the center of the screen/seat.  When looking forward, the box checked or unchecked did not seem to have any effect, it's only when the view is reversed, as in looking behind your 3/9 line. 

Testing it right now, with it checked, the movement looking at the tail is natural - lean right to move my head out over the left wing for a view of the tail.  With it unchecked, that same movement puts my head looking at the headrest/at the tail closer to the right wing, completely backwards.  Leaving it checked is a much more natural movement/resulting view.

If you imagine sitting in the pit in your chair and directly behind your chair is your tail, and you turn your head left to look out over your left shoulder behind you and out away from the seatback, you turn 180 and lean to the right.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 02:52:08 AM by Cobra516 »
Slipping the surly bonds.

"Ray" #3 Right Wing
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC

Offline Phanza

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2008, 08:20:53 AM »
Been using TrackIR since I started playing. It's become so natural to me, I even do the moves in games where it doesnt work. I made a video a while back of me using TiR in a sortie in F4U, where the 6 is normally pretty blocked. But as you can see in this vid. I can even see beyond my tail.

www.bygs.dk/mov/phanz.wmv (will only leave it on for a few days, for isp issues)

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2008, 01:19:40 PM »
Just got my TrackIR in the mail at work.  Want to go home so freakin' bad.   :D  But, the boss won't let me.   :cry
treekilr in game.