Author Topic: Time for a new Furball Arena  (Read 4971 times)

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: Time for a new Furball Arena
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2008, 08:12:51 AM »
Or maybe simply change the name from DA to Fighter Town... I see no real reason to breakout the furblake area into it's own "arena."  It should be a place where scores/ranks don't matter, as always, but I see no harm in stats.

More people use the furballing area than the formal dueling areas.

Can fuubalke be totally dwooby?  Sure, but no more so than any furball in the Mains.. it's just closer in with a higher density and populated by a mix of styles and skill levels.

I just see furblake having potential if the players there opened their eyes to what's offered other than just ganging/picking. The current skwadz leaderships are... meh.. at best...  they could be doing more to foster a little better style of gameplay. I chalk it down to simple ignorance, lack of exposure.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2008, 09:12:34 AM »
Can fuubalke be totally dwooby?  Sure, but no more so than any furball in the Mains.. it's just closer in with a higher density and populated by a mix of styles and skill levels.
So why not do it in the MA? What are they afraid of exactly?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline kotrenin

• Nickel Member
      • http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRaTekm9Ak8
« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2008, 09:41:59 AM »
So why not do it in the MA? What are they afraid of exactly?

Afraid of wasting my time looking for a fight.
Afraid of wasting my time being Vulched (believe it or not vulching doesn't happen too often in furball lake.)
Afraid of wasting my time looking for an open map.
Afraid of wasting my time looking for an open map that has a furball lake or fighter town.
Afraid of wasting my time with down fighter hangers.
Afraid of wasting my time with low frame rates because of monster tank battles.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in a MA squad and I fly with them when I feel like doing some base capture or defense.
I also occasionally fly AvA, and when I'm in the mood and have the time I fly special events.

But I like Furball lake for its simplicity and immediate action oriented design.
He's a lover, not a fighter... but he's also a fighter, so don't get any ideas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRaTekm9Ak8  http://one_foggy.tripod.com/sounds/afu_jokeson.wav

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2008, 09:51:05 AM »
i understand the need for furball lake instead of the MA, it only has fighters there, no gv,s no bombers to take down hangers, no reason to do anything but fly fighters and kill or be killed!
 there are alot of people who want to change the MA so that the bombers cant drop to low or in a dive, they think that the gv,s are secondary to the game, so for them there is furball lake!
 i like both places, and i see no need to change either one, when i want war i go to the MA,  or mid war, when i want to kill planes only, DA

Find Your Fun!!! :aok
Leave Others To There's!!! :noid
Be Fruitfull And Multiply!!! :devil
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Spacy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2008, 08:05:39 PM »
If you want a real answer email HTC/Skuzzy direct. The boards are more for sounding out ideas, or making general requests in the community. You will only get comments here on the boards, unless you step over the line in which case you WILL get the facts laid out for you. I know I've been answered any time I've writen to Skuzzy, give it a go.

As for asking about a time table.... LOL!!!!! FORGET IT ! They will announce it WHEN they announce it! period! They didn't say they were going to start 8 player again, they said they "would like to bring back H2H", much like they would like to have CT.

If you look at my first post, you will see that it is a copy of an email I sent to Skuzzy....without any reply.  They are good at taking your money but they don't treat you like customers here.  I may put my money in MS Flight Simulator instead.  MS is about as responsive and I hear the flight model is better...
"A man's got to know his limitations." - Harry Callahan

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2008, 09:08:37 PM »
Some people who commented on this thread elsewhere are totaly right. You're myopic and have no sense of how AH works or what's good for it. You want the game to change for you, just because you paid 15 bucks. Those 15 bucks are the same as everyone else, you arent so special that you can be excused for replacing something great with something less great (DA lake vs a moshpit).. nor so special that you earned a seat on the management board ahead of every other customer.
They are good at taking your money but they don't treat you like customers here.
way to go. You probably just cancelled out any good impression you might have made on em..
MS is about as responsive and I hear the flight model is better...
:lol Keep it up...
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2008, 09:11:20 PM »
If you look at my first post, you will see that it is a copy of an email I sent to Skuzzy....without any reply.  They are good at taking your money but they don't treat you like customers here.

Email
As I team leader I figure that I contact HTC more often than most.  They are a small crew, only human, and can only do so much in a work day.  I give them the benefit of the doubt accordingly.  If I need to bump a request to get a reply, I've always gotten a very courtious response often with a side note about why the request may not have gotten prompt attention the first time.  I even know the factor last week was that one of the crew was off.

The subject plays a role too.  If it's a complaint about a player, don't expect a reply, as they do not disclose how those issues are handled.  If it's a game feature request, that is not typically Skuzzy's decision to make.  It will be forwarded to the appropriate person.  I have gotten replies to that effect, but I don't expect it.  If the tone of the email is like the above quote, don't hold your breath for a reply.

Wishlist
HiTech had replied in this very forum why he does not typically reply to individual wishlist threads, though threads are seen by HTC.
This wish will not happen. Because I think your idea is a crappy idea.

Now I frased this in such a way so you see why I do not comment on almost all ideas. Because you could cut and past that frase to almost all ideas I see on this form.  But you should not belive that I think the above  statment meens this form is not a good thing. I scan all the threads and do use some of the ideas on occasion.

Now your next respone would typicly be telling me the stuff that I havn't considered about your idea. Odds are I have considered, but to write a full depiction of all the pros and cons would be very time consuming. And hence to do it for all ideas would not be fesable.

So just understand I do read the ideas posted here, I just very rearly respond to them.

HiTech

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2008, 09:30:38 PM »
While I'm at it a couple on topic quotes
All have there place In AH.

But problems arise when any of the above are taken to excess.
For instance lets look at what I view as Laz's ideal arena taken to exess.

Air starts 5k off deck. No bombers,no scoring , artifical box aound the play field, that if you run you are blown up. All planes turning style planes, with no planes faster than others.

This would create one fast paced, continues quick action furball. But what are the side effects.
1. New players would burn out fairly quickly.
2. Will to live dimisish greatly.
3. You never get that successfull feeling of beating the odds, and living to tell the tail.
4. You have very little time to socialize with other players.

So while some furballers would say, hey thats all good stuff, I belive AH would be dead long ago if thats all it was.

TheDudeDVant: We always listen to our customers, we just don't always take there advice.

As nopoop brought up in another thread reacting to what the  customer percieved they wanted, was a good chunk of the dimise of WB.

The way I view major game play change requests by players is don't look at what the person is asking to have changed, but wrather what they think the affect of that change is.  Thats what they realy want. I.E. We want a furball arena, is realy asking we want more simaler aircraft only fights, with out the hastle from bombers and stratigic thinkers. But most people are not thinking about the unitended consiquences of a new furball arena.

Here are a few thoughts. These are not here to debate but the will be effected by a new arena.

1. Community and squad splitting.

2. Fight stagnation i.e. every day fight is same place same fields.

3. Scoring, is there scoreing? If there is how do we balance it
between arenas.

4. Is there perk points, what plane set. Might as well make 5 furball arenas, I can alreayd here the request for different era plane set furball arenas.

5. New user burn out do to same o same o.

6. Vulching, or ack running, Take away the ability to kill ack, i.e. furball only, we cant have bombs, lots of people will use ack as a defense. Take away the ack and vulching will dominate.

7. No other game to play because of community splitting, think of what a side imbalnce will cause in this arena where eveyone is only fighting. Now when we have a side imbalence more people tend to look for somthing different to do as in vehicles / bombers / base capture / field defense what ever. In this arena you will just be outnumber.

8. New user burnout do to less verioty of things to do. It is simple to say well then they can just go to the main, once we make a communty split life is not so simple. The person would be used to playing furball AH, all his friends would be there, moving to the main would require getting all new friends.

Becuse most times implementing a game play change the way people ask has unexpected consiquences that they did not consider, and a change dosn't turn out how every thinks.

HiTech

Offline MaiTai

• Zinc Member
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2008, 11:37:34 PM »
I agree with Spacy and support his Idea.
Thanks

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2008, 06:00:10 PM »
But you already have plenty of 1 v 1 areas... nothing stops people from going there and doing those "let them be" kind of fights.. pretty much like we did about 2 weeks ago, when there were about 8 of us using  15/16?? and leaving each other's 1 v 1's alone.

The current overall arena could use a few minor tweaks (for example, re-naming the Paired Dueling bases, "deck" (2k), low alt (6k), med alt (15k), and adding a high alt (25k).  Also lowering the deck to the.. well.. deck....  right now a 6k base has I think a 4k deck, giving you only 2k of downward manuevering room.

As for FurBlake, it's also fine, just move the bases 2-3 miles further back to the 2nd tier of terrace. This would free up a lot of space without having to (re)design a new arena.

I do remember the tower outs with killshooter off era...  meh... you had your dweebs then, too. Plenty would drop right down and cherry w/o a "check 6" first.

I really dunno why FurBlake is so looked down upon - i think more than anything it's due to the "H2H crowd" taking it over and molding it in their own image (which isn't too far off from any other groups').  My counter-point is they're paying customers now, not freeloaders, and as such are entitled to play the game however they want, just like the rest of us.  

Don't like it?  Come help mold FurBlake into *your* idealized version.  Show those former freeloaders how it's supposed to be done.

What's not to like?  Plenty of targets a short hop away, no base damage/porking, perma-dar, few if any buffs that can simply be ignored, no 262's, free perk rides (if you want), fuel burn 1.0 so yuo can take 25% and feel you're all that. (now that I think about it, Fuel burn 2.0 might be better), but most of all, it's a massive furball that can put some base horde vs few defender MA actions to shame.

Oh.. did I forget to mention... GV's are disabled in FurBlake?

So... if your bored with the hamstard wheel of MA land grab, come join in the Grinder that is FurBlake.

<Maybe if ranking scores *were* added, you see even more MA weenies coming in?> I'm still opposed to rankings, tho' ... stats... sure.

Need a place to meet open to all who want to 1v1

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2008, 11:38:53 PM »
Email
As I team leader I figure that I contact HTC more often than most.  They are a small crew, only human, and can only do so much in a work day.  I give them the benefit of the doubt accordingly.  If I need to bump a request to get a reply, I've always gotten a very courtious response often with a side note about why the request may not have gotten prompt attention the first time.  I even know the factor last week was that one of the crew was off.

The subject plays a role too.  If it's a complaint about a player, don't expect a reply, as they do not disclose how those issues are handled.  If it's a game feature request, that is not typically Skuzzy's decision to make.  It will be forwarded to the appropriate person.  I have gotten replies to that effect, but I don't expect it.  If the tone of the email is like the above quote, don't hold your breath for a reply.

Wishlist
HiTech had replied in this very forum why he does not typically reply to individual wishlist threads, though threads are seen by HTC.

Murdr has a point, but I gotta agree with Spacy here, although, HTC seems to have more responce than MS. ;) MS waits till they get enough complaints about something before they even CONSIDER doing something.
I've fired off e-mails to HTC before, most are replied to, wether I like the responce or not. Most replies are something along the line of, "We are currently working on this issue." or "This problem doesn't seem urgent enough to be acted on immediatly." which, I can't say are bad replies ;)
Buuuuuuut, I've also had my fair share of e-mails ignored, or simply 'brushed off'. Most of which involved cheating allogations (blah blah blah TRIGGER! , what do you know about cheating. Well, I used to run PB hack testing for Austin Servers in Call of Duty 1, and :UO). which, at least imo, should have the utmost priority, especially when a film or SS is attached. ;)

I think that the Furball Arena, if we do get one, should have a 'you need to be a AHII Subscriber for at least this long.' Might seem like eliteism, but I think it would get rid of the new players (mostly kids that think they're the most l337 pi107 7h47$ 3v3r b33n), or even some of the griefers, which would cut back on players like me and Merlin who simply quit, or take a break because of all the griefers and new kids that get on and ruin the gameplay (180$ a year per player for HTC...). Well, that's besides no perk planes. Nothings more annoying than taking off and seeing a high tempest vulching...

This is what I perfer to see in the DA...

Well... with a few more of my guys with me, and without the black smoke ;).
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline Steel

• Copper Member
« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2008, 11:46:46 PM »
You would like to see 6v2v1?

All knits...I might agree if it was close to being even.

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2008, 11:52:39 PM »
You would like to see 6v2v1?

All knits...I might agree if it was close to being even.

Well... with a few more of my guys with me, and without the black smoke ;).
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline Spacy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2008, 07:53:03 AM »
TheDudeDVant: We always listen to our customers, we just don't always take there advice.

As nopoop brought up in another thread reacting to what the  customer percieved they wanted, was a good chunk of the dimise of WB.

The way I view major game play change requests by players is don't look at what the person is asking to have changed, but wrather what they think the affect of that change is.  Thats what they realy want. I.E. We want a furball arena, is realy asking we want more simaler aircraft only fights, with out the hastle from bombers and stratigic thinkers. But most people are not thinking about the unitended consiquences of a new furball arena.

Here are a few thoughts. These are not here to debate but the will be effected by a new arena.

1. Community and squad splitting.

2. Fight stagnation i.e. every day fight is same place same fields.

3. Scoring, is there scoreing? If there is how do we balance it
between arenas.

4. Is there perk points, what plane set. Might as well make 5 furball arenas, I can alreayd here the request for different era plane set furball arenas.

5. New user burn out do to same o same o.

6. Vulching, or ack running, Take away the ability to kill ack, i.e. furball only, we cant have bombs, lots of people will use ack as a defense. Take away the ack and vulching will dominate.

7. No other game to play because of community splitting, think of what a side imbalnce will cause in this arena where eveyone is only fighting. Now when we have a side imbalence more people tend to look for somthing different to do as in vehicles / bombers / base capture / field defense what ever. In this arena you will just be outnumber.

8. New user burnout do to less verioty of things to do. It is simple to say well then they can just go to the main, once we make a communty split life is not so simple. The person would be used to playing furball AH, all his friends would be there, moving to the main would require getting all new friends.

Becuse most times implementing a game play change the way people ask has unexpected consiquences that they did not consider, and a change dosn't turn out how every thinks.

HiTech

I'd have to say that the unintended consequence of HT's decision to close H2H has resulted in this thread and all the feelings associated with it.  The furballing area of the DA has become what it has become because many of the 8 player pilots have found the arena that most closely resembles the kind of game they want to play.  As for "freeloaders", the adults who flew 8 player are and have been willing to pay for play.  They have just chosen the free-for-all style of play (which, BTW does not make them inferior to MA players).  The ones that have fallen away are those without financial resources i.e. mostly children who we see as "two week wonders" right now.  They will not be missed in any arena.
"A man's got to know his limitations." - Harry Callahan

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2008, 09:49:05 AM »
I bet in the whole MA that there are only 15 sticks that can beat me 1 on 1.... If that!!

:rofl
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."