Author Topic: How low will you go to defend a base?  (Read 348 times)

Offline -raxx-

• Copper Member
How low will you go to defend a base?
« on: October 23, 2000, 06:55:00 PM »
Ok, the subject line is just a troll to get your attention but there is a serious question behind it which may be a bug, (or bomb fusing just not correctly modelled yet).

I was trying to do a sneaky attack on field 3 from field 6 in a lancaster with about 10k of altitude.  All three of the Knights online were defending field 2 while Rudedawg was banging away at field 3's buildings in a tank, (or maybe an ostwind).  I splattered the fighter hanger and started to take out ammo bunkers, fuel bunkers and the remaining AAA emplacements.  Rudedawg ditched and grabbed an M3 for what looked like a relatively simple capture, (FH and VH were dead at the time so what possible defenders could there be?).

As the M3 neared the map room from the end of the runway a b26 spawned, throttled up and taxied over the top of Rudedawg dropping bombs like confetti, (and killing Rudedawg in the process).  It looked like about 8 craters were on the ground so I assumed they were 500lb bombs being dropped.

My initial problem, (other than Rudedawg and I testing the curse filter), was that the bomb fusing should have either:
1) failed to arm the bombs
2) destroyed the b26 as the first bomb hit the ground.

An alternative possibility is that the salvo setting is allowing all bombs in the salvo to be dropped even if the buff is destroyed in the process, (and what I saw was lag death of the B26 rather than it ramming a building).

As this is anecdotal all I can report is what I believe I saw.  Does anyone else have a similar experience?  Can HT or Pyro confirm that you suffer blast damage from your own bombs?

Or did I just see an example of pushing the sim to it's limits?

Spotcha in the Air

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2000, 07:08:00 PM »
I saw a Rook Lanc do this to a Ostwind last tour (I fly Rook).  It took him a couple tries to get the guy, but the end result was a dead Osti and my kill was stolen.  I'd grabbed a Panzer and rolled over to the far side of the field.  I was in the process of lining up the shot when the Osti was killed.

Maybe bombs shouldn't be able to be dropped when the bomber is on the ground, the same as the turrets can't fire when the bomber is on the ground.  Maybe the bombs should have to fall 500 or 1000 feet.

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2000, 07:17:00 PM »
that sort of lag must been on purpose!
Easy to abuse, online your plane doesn't blow up on your bombs until host tells so..
..and of course lag can delay this.

Karnak,

Must been my Lancaster experiements and 4000lb  

funked

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2000, 12:06:00 AM »
I agree this is the height of dweebery and it should not be possible.  I.e. real aircraft have a WoW (weight on wheels) sensor which prevents opening of bomb doors and/or weapons release when you are on the runway.

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2000, 02:01:00 AM »
Totally agree here. Like Hangtime said in his AAR "...he dropped a bomb and blew all three of the bombers waiting there. Lost 3 bombers to friendly fire and 1 C-47 to intentional DISCO". Allowing bombs to get dropped while you're on the ground is nuts. I like opening my bay doors on the re-arm pads. It lets the non-existant ground crew reload my bomber. But the ability to dump external ord while on the ground should be fixed.

------------------
Flakbait
Delta 6's Flight School
"My art is the wings of an aircraft through the skies, my music the deep hum of a prop as it slices the air, my thrill the thunder of guns tearing asunder an enemy plane."
Flakbait
19 September 2000

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2000, 03:42:00 AM »
God, how I hated one thing.

It was so hard to find a freshly deacked field and start challenging your destiny when vulching in A-8.

Spit after Spit, Niki after Niki, I did not fear. Oh, how I felt hot there, I must have beaten half the RAF taking off.

But when B17 rolled on the vulched runway, I shivered. It was too late, he dropped bombs, way down few meters below him.

He died, I died, and many brave vulchers that joined the fest.

Fix it

Offline Ketil

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2000, 04:35:00 AM »
I died several times tonight fom a B26 that should have gone with me when his bombs dropped, asuming they should have armed at all at the low alt they were dropped from. Didn't feel right..
Ket

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2000, 12:55:00 PM »
Yeah, needs to be fixed.  Bomber needs to get off its wheels to drop bombs.  Would be even better if the bomb fusing prevented detonation below xxx feet.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2000, 01:08:00 PM »
I wan't bombs with delay fuse  

That'd be a nice surprise when things would blow up couple minutes after the pass..

Offline Graywolf

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.flibble.org/~tim
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2000, 10:34:00 AM »
Heh, tell me about this one. Blew myself up on the runway yesterday when 'stick button spikes' (don't ask, I appear to have some hardware  problems with my recently rebuilt machine) dropped 2000lbs of bombs off the bottom of my Typhoon as I was throttling up for takeoff.

I also managed to blow myself up while blowing up Bash's Panzer by stalling in the pull out at the end of my dive and ending up way too low when the bombs hit.

A delay between the bombs dropping and arming would be good in my book.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2000, 11:04:00 AM »
A couple of days ago the Knits were trying to take a field.  The VH and FHs were down and we were strafing the BH.  As I was circling the field, I suddenly see what looks like a line of red ants marching out of the BH toward the map room.

A "defender" was continuously spawning a C47 in the BH and dropping troops to let them run to their own map room.

LJK Raubvogel

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2000, 03:58:00 PM »

Originally posted by -raxx-:

As the M3 neared the map room from the end of the runway a b26 spawned, throttled up and taxied over the top of Rudedawg dropping bombs like confetti, (and killing Rudedawg in the process).  

That isn't right, but it sure is funny as hell   I lmao sitting in my office picturing it in my head.

------------------
LJK_Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2000, 06:23:00 PM »

I was trying to do a sneaky attack on field 3 from field 6 in a lancaster with about 10k of altitude. All three of the Knights online were defending field 2 while Rudedawg was banging away at field 3's buildings in a tank, (or maybe an ostwind).

Erm... so... just to get this straight.

You guys thought you could sneak a field away from a country that only had 3 players on-line.  And.. you are accusing them of gaming the game?

Sigh.

AKDejaVu

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2000, 06:37:00 PM »
Mickey, a C47 spawning troops won't do anything other than make attacking/vulching aircraft expend their ammunition trying to straff them thinking that the airfield won't capture.  I wouldn't worry about it.

Nexx
NEXX

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2000, 07:26:00 PM »
Check Roster - only 3 knits on-line
Check Radar - Knits all defending A2
Spawn deisel tank that sneaks to base undected
<Attack base facilities with surface to air weapon>
1 Air support plane shows up
Ditch vehicle in enemy territory
Respawn with troop vehicle after being captured

Complain about how low other team sinks.