Author Topic: Stall Limiter vs No Stall Limiter  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Stall Limiter vs No Stall Limiter
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 07:52:35 PM »
Keep it off.  Everyone goes thru a "spin 'o death phase" until they learn the basics of stall recovery (or learn to avoid stalling in the first place).
Well, I know how to recover from a stall...but I find it easier, obviously with it on. Guess I'll just dive in next time I get to play.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 08:19:02 PM »
Well, I know how to recover from a stall...but I find it easier, obviously with it on. Guess I'll just dive in next time I get to play.

with it on... it's automagic... you *can't* stall enough to need to recover, you just wallow around til u right yourself, but you won't stall.

also not all planes have the same stall conditions/warnings/clues or recovery... but the generic advice has been given i'm sure.  there's even a pop-up box when you login sometimes explaining this.

bottom line tho'...  with the limiter on, you're also limiting yourself if you're slow.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 08:44:43 PM »
OFF.

You'll never find the ragged edge with it on.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 11:18:58 PM »
Stall limiter off gives a much tighter turn. However, you have to keep your stick calibrated as perfectly as possible. Any wobble and it's over.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 12:36:34 AM »
The main reason was so I didn't have to climb. :P Mainly so I had speed and could practice verticals in it.I'll keep a look out for you, thanks!
By the way, what would you consider accelerated stalls?

Anytime you put your plane at such an angle that the lack of airflow over the wings no longer provides sufficient lift.  At least that's the basic layman's definition, I'm sure someone will stop by and give a more scientific definition.

Have you ever flown at a high rate of speed and then put your plane at such an angle of attack (AoA) that you hear the stall buzzer going off and you notice that one of your wings has lost lift?  That in a nutshell is an accelerated stall.  Losing lift due to a high AoA, so stalls just don't happen when your plane is to slow that the airflow over the wings no longer provides any lift, it can happen at any speed.

One of the things I tell new players is to hop in a plane and go offline and fly lufberry circles, progressively pulling the stick back to make the turn tighter and tighter with each revolution until they enter into an accelerated stall.  I tell them to keep practicing and soon they'll start to recognize the point where the plane's wing will start to lose lift and they'll be able to react fast enough to correct it before they enter into a full accelerated stall.   Then I tell them to repeat it but this time, ride the edge as long as they can without entering into a stall.  Soon after a couple hours of practice, most new players will be able to ride the edge of an accelerated stall safely and able to recover quick enough when they start to enter into one.  YMMV.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Steel

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 05:57:51 AM »
Question....
     What stall mode is this? Flying a 51 B I notice when I am pulling out of the downward section of a loop (or any downward manuever) there is a wierd stall. The plane stalls while trying to drop a wing and then starts turning harder. Its a constant fight to keep wings level with slight downward elevator to avoid a complete stall. Ive seen the G meter jump nearly 1 G while doing a 3 G turn. Typically this all happens at very low airspeed with alot of flaps out. I dont know if its a wierd stall process or a small FM glitch. Was curious if any knew?

Steel

Offline sturgeon

• Zinc Member
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 07:39:03 AM »
ahhh the snap roll of doom. I fly 109's and they have a serious tendency toward that especialy in the conditions you described. Like everyone is saying about the stall limiter its the same just takes getting used to and learning ur plane(s). The cool thing is that once you are used to countering this seemingly suicidal tendency of torque it can really work to your favor. I (who am no great stick) have won some fights due to being able to just keep my plane from augering while being at 200 or less feet off the ground going less than 100 mph. All that said there was about a week worth of snap roll to augers that did temporarily effect my mental health.

throttle management and flaps are a big part of it as well. At least that is the case for me and my 109k4.

off topic; That sounds like the makings of a good song. "Me and my 109"

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 11:46:37 AM »
Angle of Attack (AoA)is the angular relationship between the chord line of the airfoil (wing in this case) and the relative wind

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_of_attack

Every airfoil has a critical AoA. Exceeding that critical angle interrupts the airflow over the top of the airfoil resulting in a loss of lift, commonly called a stall.

An accelerated stall is any stall occurring at greater than 1 G on the airframe.

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 06:38:52 PM »
Not going to read all the posts... just yet

Can't tell you how many people I have helped find that blasted thing and had them turn it off. I suppose if your new it could come in handy but the moment you get your stick set up properly and understand the physics of flying OFF IT SHOULD GO.

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 09:51:52 PM »
If you want to hang with the best turn it off.
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 08:31:17 PM »
What would be a proper stick setup for this. I've found that with it off, anything I fly falls out of the sky like a brick and I have a hard time believing anyone can fly with the damn thing off in any event. I also don't see a lot of folks falling out of the sky whilst fighting them so I wonder how many people actually fly with it off.

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2008, 08:58:47 PM »
Bubba, the first day or so sucks.  You just have to accept the fact there are gonna be some unpleasant surprises at first but really it only takes a couple days and you will start getting the feel for it.  After that it becomes second nature.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2008, 01:50:08 AM »
If I'm reading what the "arena settings" tab in the menu has to tell me offline, it would appear the stall limiter holds your airplane 2 degrees short of the critical AoA. Which is quite a bit when it comes to milking max turn performance out of a plane.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 01:51:54 AM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2008, 02:09:16 AM »
What would be a proper stick setup for this. I've found that with it off, anything I fly falls out of the sky like a brick and I have a hard time believing anyone can fly with the damn thing off in any event. I also don't see a lot of folks falling out of the sky whilst fighting them so I wonder how many people actually fly with it off.

Go offline and practice for a few hours until you can turn as tight as you can until you can do at least 5 revolutions without entering into an accelerated stall.  Afterwards, get some altitude and practice again, this time get yourself into an accelerated stall and start practicing how to recover from them.  Pay close attention to the point of departure and make sure that you memorize the signs of the stall so you can recover before you fully enter into it.

Practice, practice, practice!

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2008, 11:52:49 AM »
The proper stick setup depends on the stick you have, and how you wield it.  If you're a bit "ham-fisted" and tend to slam the stick all around, you really should try to be more gentle and make smaller, more smooth movements - you'll be amazed at how well you fly after you retrain yourself.  You can also go into the controller setup in AH2 and play with the scaling and/or dampening of the joystick axes.

Proper calibration in Windows and AH2 is critical, smooth movements while in flight is equally so.  Even if you are able to adjust the stick settings to make up for being "ham-fisted", you should really get into the habit of being smooth.  Adjusting the game to make up for being heavy-handed on the stick really cripples your ability to maneuver.

The use of rudders also helps with turning, but it sounds like your problem is over-controlling the stick.

The first thing I did when I fired up AH2 is turn off the stall limiter.  I stalled all the time, but it didn't take long to settle down and now I can ride the edge until I either get out-flown (happens more than I'd like), or I get stupid and pull just that little extra bit to try to force a shot I should pass on, instead of working towards a better one.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals