Author Topic: TA idea  (Read 588 times)

Offline NEARY

• Nickel Member
      • The 18th FG Killer Chihuahuas
TA idea
« on: December 16, 2008, 08:44:12 PM »
so my idea is that if you are practicing your skills in the TA when you are hit it will tell you what damage you wouldv'e sustained if you were in the MA or DA. For example, i am in a pony and i fire at an f6f, the guy in the f6f says "well if that had been real i would have lost an elevator and sustained a pilot wound."

and then a you can reset it so it says have no damage that you would have sustained and then you can activate it again to see what you would have lost... etc

sounds like a good idea.... i can't see why anyone would be against it, it is optional you know...

-NEARY

The 18th FG Killer Chihuahuas.since tour 97.        CO: KCTHUNDR(me)
 ( NEARY tours 96- 107) 2nd in command: Penguin. www.freewebs.com/18thfg   in game i.d.: KCTHUNDR

OBey Teh ChIHuaHUa!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!11!!!1

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Re: TA idea
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 08:49:41 PM »
IDK if that could be pulled off without actually getting the damage, but I like the idea.
Tours 86 - 296

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 08:51:11 PM »
BEST WISH IN A LONG LONG TIME!!!!

<SALUTE>

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline P1Tiger

• Copper Member
      • VMF-214 'Black Sheep'
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 09:42:22 PM »
BEST WISH IN A LONG LONG TIME!!!!

<SALUTE>

agreed
VMF-214'Black Sheep' here since tour 93.

http://www.VMFBlackSheep214.webs.com

"It was war. We were defending our country. We had a strict code of honor: you didn't shoot down a cripple and you kept it a fair fight."
— Captain Wilfrid Reid 'Wop' May, RFC

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 02:26:37 AM »
I might have posted this suggestion myself several years ago.  Warbirds at one point scrolled damage notices into the text buffer.  My guess would be that there would be a way to check the damage result under PlaneGunLethality=1.0 and echo the hypothetical damage into the text buffer.  However, whether it would be worth the manpower time it would take to code it, or be impractical for technical reasons, only HTC would know.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 05:29:48 AM »
Well, it would be the same like hitting a ship. When you destroy a gun, a text will appear in the text-buffer what you've just destroyed. I guess it won't be too hard to modell that for planes?

Offline jerkins

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 07:44:42 AM »
I like this idea.  You wouldn't need to have some reset-able damage sheet.  Just display the damage in the text buffer.  This is a wish I would really love to see implemented.
Jerkins
Strike Bandits
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 08:18:07 AM »
Then here's this situation.  A few friends of mine (cough*BigRat*cough*Yanksfan*cough) like to take long bursts with our guns in the TA...basically pinging each other until guns are empty or the player being shot ends his sortie.  As annoying as that already is, I bet it would be hard for the computer to keep up with possible damage in the text buffer, therefore causing stutters and screen freezes as the computer tries to catch up?  I'm not computer whiz but it sounds logical to me  :D
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 09:37:44 AM »
No Spock, the computer is much faster than your friend's screaming lead. :P
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 02:04:34 PM »
If a plane is caused that amount of damage, that the computer would stutter, chances are more likely that is destroyed!

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 02:12:35 PM »
I still have a hard time believing that one. Mainly because of two things. Firstly, the computer already registers where you are hit and then adds the appropriate damage measures (you're damaged). At the same time the computer sends the message to your damage list to highlight parts A, B, and C (your damage is listed.)

So far that has not caused stutters, I don't think implementing something similar in the TA would cause stutters.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 02:34:36 PM »
I might have posted this suggestion myself several years ago.  Warbirds at one point scrolled damage notices into the text buffer.  My guess would be that there would be a way to check the damage result under PlaneGunLethality=1.0 and echo the hypothetical damage into the text buffer.  However, whether it would be worth the manpower time it would take to code it, or be impractical for technical reasons, only HTC would know.

did they scroll damages to the chat buffer?  I thought it was only displayed in the little stats page where it displayed such things as kill streaks and the like. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 02:42:01 PM »
did they scroll damages to the chat buffer?  I thought it was only displayed in the little stats page where it displayed such things as kill streaks and the like. 

ack-ack
Unless I'm gettin senile, around 1.0x (+ or -) part failure on your plane was echoed in the buffer, up to and including "pilot killed".

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 02:57:58 PM »
so my idea is that if you are practicing your skills in the TA when you are hit it will tell you what damage you wouldv'e sustained if you were in the MA or DA. For example, i am in a pony and i fire at an f6f, the guy in the f6f says "well if that had been real i would have lost an elevator and sustained a pilot wound."

and then a you can reset it so it says have no damage that you would have sustained and then you can activate it again to see what you would have lost... etc

sounds like a good idea.... i can't see why anyone would be against it, it is optional you know...

-NEARY

I love the idea, and I don't think it would be too hard to implement... take a C# code for example..

x = amount of damage
y = damage needed for damage
z = player
p = part

if(x == y)
{
Console.write(z + "Damage to " + p);
}

if(console.readline())
{
x = 0
}

That'd be the basic jist of it in C#. I really doubt it would be too tough to impliment, a little bit more advanced than that as it would have to display it to a specific player, so there would be a bit more code above that, but, there's the groundwork...
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 05:20:27 PM »
Unless I'm gettin senile, around 1.0x (+ or -) part failure on your plane was echoed in the buffer, up to and including "pilot killed".

Yeah, I think you're right, it's been a long time since WB.  I do recall that AW also did the same.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song