Author Topic: Tone down the twin 50mm cannon in Lanc  (Read 386 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Tone down the twin 50mm cannon in Lanc
« on: September 12, 2001, 11:06:00 PM »
Please.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2001, 12:20:00 AM »
kinda funny the only plane with TWO .50 cals has the same turbolaser effect as the ones that can buggily point 8 .50's at you.

Buff guns not hit harder than normal 2X .50's? hehe, try killing something in a bpony using the inner wing guns only, itl take you a LOOONG burts, even on a HO. Try them on a buff. 1-2 pings, con goes pops open.

Ironically, HT said the .50's have twice the dispersion they should have. I know how this will affect fighter's guns.. but how will it affect buff guns?

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2001, 12:28:00 AM »
I agree that buff guns are too strong.  It gets kinda old that you can send a sustained burst into a buff from a D-pony near convergence and he keeps on truckin'.  1 or 2 pings from his guns and down you go minus a wing.   :(

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2001, 12:30:00 AM »
Buff guys have small noodle and tiny testicles and this must be "compensated" for...........   :D

Oh well!

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2001, 10:51:00 AM »
any dweeb in any fighter can kamakazi you every time. He sees you on dar and can set up on you nearly every time.
You idiots have to decide what you are going to whine about. Buff guns. Buffs at alt. buffs hurting fields, buffs external view.
what a collection of terminal whiners.
Just do away with buffs I guess.

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2001, 11:00:00 AM »
If you're putting in a "sustained" burst, you're attacking from the dead 6 position.  Bad spot... even worse if you are at convergence (300yrds).  You should have broken off that attack long ago.

You don't hear all the pings... 1-2 pings could represent many hits.

A bomber is a big plane... a mustang, or any fighter, is a small plane.  It's easier to bring you down.

Planes without cannons aren't for buff busting.  MG's won't do much to a bomber unless you get a mess of rounds into something critical.

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2001, 11:09:00 AM »
These occasional calls for toning down buff guns is getting a wee bit old. I find the Lanc is the easiest bomber to shoot down, with the JU-88,TBM, IL2 and B-26 being very close candidates and with the B-17 being the hardest - if you even want to call shooting down a B-17 in AH "hard."

Westy

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2001, 11:37:00 AM »
Urchin you wuss.... find something else to cry about please, I'm not in the mood.....

:(

Nexx
NEXX

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2001, 12:50:00 PM »
LOL!  You've got to be kidding.  If I decide not to rush it like an idiot, I can down Lancs with my P51b for crying out loud...and I suck.

And Grun, resorting to pee pee jokes?  That's a sure sign that you're a juvenille and as always it's . . . funny.  Nice work  :D

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2001, 01:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Westy MOL:
These occasional calls for toning down buff guns is getting a wee bit old. I find the Lanc is the easiest bomber to shoot down, with the JU-88,TBM, IL2 and B-26 being very close candidates and with the B-17 being the hardest - if you even want to call shooting down a B-17 in AH "hard."

Westy

I actually find the opposite (well, not exactly, but my order is different).  I find B-17s the easiest to shoot down, the Ju88s, TBM, Lanc, and B26 the hardest.  

B26 can be DAMN hard to shoot down, it is tough and fast, kinda like a slow fighter.  Plus it has defensive guns like the B17.

The Lanc I find very difficult to bring down- it won't go down like the B17 will if you hammer one of the wings, nothing happens.  So you end up getting impatient and try to come up his 6, and they kill me every time.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2001, 02:14:00 PM »
Are we done whining that a buff shot some of you guys down?  I just do not understand the anti-bomber atitudes in here.  I AGREE that the AckStar/B-17s are a problem, firing through their own fuselage and wings at attackers.  But the ground acks have the same problem, firing THRU hangars at cons.  I also AGREE that ONLY the gun position being manned should fire.  The Lanc has the least protection, with only those 2 50's and 303s in the other spots.  The B26s and B17s have guns hanging (and firing) from every nook and cranny.

But this anti-buff thing is a wee old.  Last week, it was remove the external views.  This week, their guns are too good, since apparently one shot Urchin down a few times.  Ever consider is was just damn good gunnery and aim?  Tac's blowing me out of the sky on one pass on a nightly basis...I can't kill that dweeb   :)

What next, Urchin?  Should we request permission to fire back at you?  Maybe retard our throttles so you can catch up to our altitude, or even circle for you?  I'm just in awe that you expect the buffs to be such easy kills.  Go check the WW2 films, those things took a POUNDING and came back in pieces most of the time.  I haven't seen many gun films of B-17s (or other buffs) crumbling after a 1 second burst as some of you insist there be.

Urchin, I'm not picking on you but I strongly disagree with what you are complaining about.  Sorry, until they add-in Sidewinders, you're going to have to work for those buff kills    :p

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2001, 02:55:00 PM »
"it won't go down like the B17 will if you hammer one of the wings"

That's true that it does not. But with Lancs (and B-26's) I always go for the tail. I come in at an angle, fast, and usually thier 7-8 oclock or 4-5 o'clock postions.
 The only time I got for any kind of a "6 shot is if they are about to unload on the base I'm defending and under those circumstances it's about the only choice. Just dump your ammo into them as they will get you more than likely too.

Westy

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2001, 04:57:00 PM »
In my experience the tail gunner in a Lanc has to hose the target for 2-4 seconds in order to get an effect.

I have had plenty of fighter fly right down my Lanc's tail, straight up my fire, and shoot me down.

Urchin,

Would you be happier if the Lanc had 4 .303s in the tail instead?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2001, 06:19:00 PM »
Sometimes I wish I had 4x .303s in the tail of the Lanc because the .50s don't last long at all.  If someone is careful then they'll easily down a Lanc.  Besides, the rear turret nearly always gets killed anyhow....

Nexx
NEXX

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2001, 07:53:00 PM »
Replicant,

Heh.  Thought that I was the only one.  Same reason too.  I'd dearly love to have the ammo to play with, but the Lanc has so little that you hold your fire for sure shots.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-