Author Topic: If we had the Meteor  (Read 4146 times)

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
If we had the Meteor
« on: December 18, 2008, 08:09:12 AM »
I know this is aruable but I think it has at least as much right a the Ta 152.

Anyway my question is how would it perform. I,e Top Speed, Turn and Climb rate, how much ammo in those hispanos. Ive Looked it up but not sure what was latest in the War model. 
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Re: If we had the Meteor
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 09:07:04 AM »
The one who'd make sense is the Meteor III.
It is slower than the Me 262, yet faster than our prop fighters. 4 Hizookas in the nose makes it naughty.
Not sure of climb and turn. I've seen a Meteors doing slow aerobatics though, and was quite surprized, but it may have been a post war model.
Top speed 490 mph from the top of my head, - will try to dig up more.
Meteor into AHII? IMHO YESS!
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 09:17:48 AM »
The one who'd make sense is the Meteor III.
It is slower than the Me 262, yet faster than our prop fighters. 4 Hizookas in the nose makes it naughty.
Not sure of climb and turn. I've seen a Meteors doing slow aerobatics though, and was quite surprized, but it may have been a post war model.
Top speed 490 mph from the top of my head, - will try to dig up more.
Meteor into AHII? IMHO YESS!

Yeah sound about right based om my Airfix model of 35 years ago.

490 mph. Might make a good bomber especially 234 hunter and rockets for ground atack. All we have had lately are Yank planes B25, P39. Perk the Meteor between Temp and 262. What we need first though is a proper German Early war bomber for B of B.   
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 09:21:18 AM »
wrut wrow wraggy...

I dont know for sure, but I remember the stats being compared to the Me262 as slower, tighter turning, with 160rds per cannon (4/20mm).  

> Initial climb rate 2,155 ft (657 m) per minute.  Source: http://www.pilotfriend.com/photo_albums/timeline/ww2/Gloster%20Meteor.htm
----------------
> Comments: The Meteor I was underpowered, had heavy controls, and pilots complained about the poor view to the sides and rear.

"The Meteor III [better engines and canopy] is superior to the Tempest V in almost all departments. If it were not for the heaviness of its ailerons and the consequent poor maneuverability in the rolling plane, and the adverse effect of snaking on it as a gun platform, it would be a comparable all-round fighter with greatly increased performance"

Source:  http://www.wingweb.co.uk/aircraft/Gloster_Meteor

I looked and looked but I couldnt find a "turn rate" of any sort.  The comments regarding the "vs the Tempest" are quite interesting.  One could almost gather that it could turn with a Tempest or at least a Typhoon.  **shrugs**

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Neil Stirling

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 10:10:17 AM »
Some Meteor III information here http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/sl-wade.html

Neil.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 11:23:10 AM »
The Meteor had weighted down ailerons due to some stability problems in wild maneuvers. The pilots complained about it being tiring to fly.
Meteor III has some 495 mph as a top speed and good ROC, SL speed is also good.
The maneuver I saw was in a formation flight with Vampires. That was at Farnborough many years back.
The Meteor did a low-level loop at quite little speed. So, I dropped a jaw ;)
BTW, the engine sound is quite bizarre, - very much different from other jet engines.
In AH, it would be a perk plane IMHO, somewhere in between the Tempest and the 262.
And (not meaning to steal the thread) as targets, the V-1 would be nice :D
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 07:17:39 PM »
It would need to be perked HIGHER than the Me-262.

It would be faster than everything but the other jet, a lot more maneuverable, and the gun package is easier.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 07:25:53 PM »
Gives an idea of the meteor's maneuverability...

"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline macerxgp

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 07:44:35 PM »
Funny, it doesn't feel like the spit's turn that tight.....

Of course, it's hard to feel something in your gunsights. :lol
Quote from: Saurdaukar
Operational kettles in August 2009 exceed operational pots by approximately 142%.

Your comparison is invalid.

DeMaskus
357th-Death Dragons

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 07:47:54 PM »
That chart has the Bf109G (I think that's a G? Maybe an F? Bit hard to read), Fw190A, and P47D (if I'm not mistaken) on the same turning circle....
 :noid

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 07:54:38 PM »
Yeah, I'm assuming they did NOT use the G2 here.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 11:18:28 PM »
NO MORE JETS!
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Steel

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 01:23:25 AM »
NO MORE PROP PLANES!  Not very helpful is it?

Much like alot of other planes *cough*B-29*cough* maybe someday after alot of other gaps.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 01:24:29 AM »
Yeah, I'm assuming they did NOT use the G2 here.

More like a G-6 weighted down with gondolas and a drop tank rack.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 04:34:37 AM »
Interestingly good turn rate then.
Would be the only really dangerous opponent for the 262.
Although...50 miles slower top speed, maybe less at SL, and then things like zoom, turn, dive and such are yet unknown.
I wonder about acceleration from throttling up. In a 262 you would have to be very slow.
The Meteors engines are different (centrifugal, a concept long abandoned) and here I have no clue how fast they could rev up. Didn't sound that long though.
So, lots of perks anyway...