Author Topic: AH Pilots Are All Angels (or maybe you need to pick up your act!!)  (Read 766 times)

Offline rick93

• Zinc Member
Wow what a night I've had.  :O

Long story short, the predominant ISP here in Australia uses some kind of weirdo signalling for their ADSL network, as a result for a PS2 to be connected to the net it must go through a router to be filtered. I've made several attempts in the past, (pre PS3) but without any luck. Just upgraded the modem/ router to one that works very well, but more importantly properly(see weirdo signalling for ASDL), that will get the PS2 online.

So, 10yo No.1 son has become pretty good at V8 Supercars 3, I think it's called 'Driver' everywhere else, I thought now we can get the PS2 online and it might be a new challenge for him to go head to head with other 'real' players. As most responsible parents would do before introducing their kid into this kind of environment I thought I better check it out myself first before even mentioning my plan. I'm so glad I did.

First it started with more vulgarity than I've ever heard in my life used in every sentence, and I mean serious stuff here. Intimate relations with my grandmother often entered the conversation. Within a couple of races I started consistently beating my competitors(yes I've spent a lot of time on the game too) they decided I would become the target. No more actual car racing, just wait until I was in the lead, park their car, then HO me next lap.  Yes these scumbags were all my fellow Australians, which makes it even more disappointing. After the deed was done, copious amount of laughing and more profanity involving my various relatives and orifices. During the discussions between these bozos apparently my crime was that I didn't have a headset so they figured I wasn't Australian.

All in all, I just want to say the stuff that goes on here, AH MB and CH200 is nothing compared to what's out there and anyone else whose considering plugging in the kids console to the www, check it out yourself first. There are some seriously bad buggers out there, and I wouldn't dream of exposing my kids to them.

Quick afterthought, none of these pieces of work were squeakers, they were grown men, one of which with a belly full by the sounds of it.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Re: AH Pilots Are All Angels (or maybe you need to pick up your act!!)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 09:20:28 AM »
That sounds about right.  It can get pretty rough in here at times but HT and co. really have it under control.  My younger brother is 12 and I still won't let him fly online.  I know that nothing really horrible will be seen, but I don't want him to pick up some of the 'terminology" that we use and he carry it to school and get reprimanded by those that have no clue what he's talking about.  Take "HO" for example.  If an elementary school student takes that terminology to school, what's going to happen?  He/she is going to get into trouble because the instructers won't realize he's talking about a Head On attack.  There are many other examples as in the "language" of the players online that really could be considered ugly.
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 09:24:07 AM »
Yes these scumbags were all my fellow Australians, which makes it even more disappointing.

Your kidding right? You think human nature changes at man made borders?, "tho I admit an Aussie with a bellyfull is a rare sport".

Everything anyone would want to know is at their fingertips nowdays, which is something I never had at 15yo. The age of my kid. But even then we snuck Playboys and Penthouse magazines. 10yo sounds a little to young to be exposed to that crap but in the end all you can do is raise them as decently as you can. Because eventually they are going to get exposed to it.

Compared to a lot of places and games AH is very well self policed and decent.

There are some seriously bad buggers out there, and I wouldn't dream of exposing my kids to them.

I locked a guy up once for sexually abusing a little girl not much older then a baby. So 10-4 on the weirdos.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline rick93

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 12:27:44 PM »
Your kidding right? You think human nature changes at man made borders?

Not at all, just sharing my personal disappointment that in this particular case the pieces of dirt involved were fellow Aussie's.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 04:20:15 PM »
Understood rick.....

There are good and bad in all races creeds and colors.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Steel

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 04:52:56 PM »
I have said this before...

If people heard or saw the way they act over a video game they would be embarrased. What or who they think its impressing is way beyond my comprehension. Why would you bring someone's family into a video game? Its a stretch to bring ego in but where theres competition you can expect that. Do your gaming or smack talk skills make you a better person? Dont get me wrong tho I jab a little but come on! Families? Foul language? PM's? Take a film of it and show your parents....would you feel oka? Sadly many would anyways I think...bad parenting or just lack of respect for anyone being the likely cause.

Steel

Offline macerxgp

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 05:44:36 PM »
This thread = Reason #17 on my list of why computer games > console games. (Yes, that list exists.)
Quote from: Saurdaukar
Operational kettles in August 2009 exceed operational pots by approximately 142%.

Your comparison is invalid.

DeMaskus
357th-Death Dragons

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 06:00:14 PM »
Not at all, just sharing my personal disappointment that in this particular case the pieces of dirt involved were fellow Aussie's.

I feel your pain. Really. A lot of the dregs I gotta deal with should end up soylent green.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 06:02:48 PM »
I gotta agree that there's a bunch of really great, respectful people here in this game. :)  TxDad or I frequently let our youngest two (10 & 12) hop onto an open computer & log on at the same time to play, as we know they're not bound to encounter much profanity or general debauchery. 

Although, I think if you were logged onto the games you were talking about during a different time of day, you'd hear the same kind of profane talk... from whichever country was awake at the time. :)
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Helm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
   I am in some very hardcore on line PC bases racing sims.  Not all Racers do stupid stuff like this.
  One game I play even has licences to drive in certain leagues.  You have to earn your stripes to move up.  Racing clean earns you points.  Any wrecks ...spin outs ....hitting walls, players etc etc reduces your points.  You can even lose privileges and lose a licences you have allready earned by being a screw up.

Most of the Racers I know are great people and very hardcore "clean" racing.  You found some bad people... keep looking there are lots of great folks out in the racing sim world.

Helm ...out
XO of ^"^Nazgul^"^
Proudly serving since campaign #13
"No Rain?" ...."No Rainbow, baby!" ....Bootsey Collins 2009

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 06:06:54 PM »
I have said this before...

If people heard or saw the way they act over a video game they would be embarrased. What or who they think its impressing is way beyond my comprehension. Why would you bring someone's family into a video game? Its a stretch to bring ego in but where theres competition you can expect that. Do your gaming or smack talk skills make you a better person? Dont get me wrong tho I jab a little but come on! Families? Foul language? PM's? Take a film of it and show your parents....would you feel oka? Sadly many would anyways I think...bad parenting or just lack of respect for anyone being the likely cause.

Steel

You missed me "shutting up" a fellow Con-goer in 2003 as he was trying to "incite" DmdBen (who flew in from Germany) to a "conversation gone too far."   When it did, I stepped in and received many compliments for it.   I'm no different in RL than in game.   If you say something stupid, expect to be called on it.  

Some DO go too far in this game.   I have a SS which was a wallpaper on my desktop for about a month.   Why?   It was a PM to me with someone's phone number and "was I man enough to call it?"   I still have it, in my "archive of all things AH."

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 10:09:14 PM »
I've got a chitbox360 for Halo3 and was amazed at how messed up some of my American peers are. (around the age of 21)

I don't think I've gone a game without some hyped up, redneck, crack baby holding down his mic and screaming the N-word or studmuffin every 10 seconds. The XBox360 is now in the cupboard and I'm pretty sure that I'm never going to buy another console again, which is a shame.

lol studmuffin = f.a.g
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 10:12:14 PM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 10:21:02 PM »

lol studmuffin = f.a.g

This BBS' profanity filter gives us lots of good ideas for new squad names.

Next squad duel: Amazinhunks vs The Studmuffins  :lol
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 10:36:31 AM »
:lol :lol :cry :cry :rofl :rofl Lusche

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 02:54:18 PM »
Each country has it's fair share of... ultra melons (as civil of a term I can think of for them).  Population control comes to mind, so do licenses for some people to breed, but that's another topic.  Two of the coolest and nicest guys I've had the pleasure of regularly gaming with online lived in Belgium and Australia.  It wasn't easy being online at the same time as they were, but well worth any effort put in on my part to do so.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 05:29:20 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.