Author Topic: inocent numbers question  (Read 131 times)

Offline Greg 'wmutt' Cook

• Zinc Member
      • http://home.bak.rr.com/gcook/
inocent numbers question
« on: June 14, 2001, 04:41:00 PM »
It occurrs to me that if we had some way of knowing how many total people were registered to any given country at any given time (not how many are online, but each country's total poulation), then squads could make better informed decisions as to when and where to rotate.  Perhaps a dot comand (.population) or a listing on the roster page (knits 21 of 212).
just a thought... it happens every so often, to the amazement of the general populace.

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
inocent numbers question
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2001, 06:59:00 AM »
Good idea, but there's atleast one problem: Which players will be counted into the country total?  There's a lot of 2 week trial players coming and going not to mention people quitting and re-opening accounts with new handles.  Therefore, the total amount of people having logged into a specific country the last time is much bigger than what the number of actual players is.

But if it showed the amount of players that have been in that specific country during the last week (or more accurately: have played in that country the last time they logged out), for example, you'd get a more precise number.

Camo
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline pageflip

• Zinc Member
inocent numbers question
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2001, 05:32:00 AM »
well, the scoring system tracks sorties, right? It also tracks your country affilation too, IIRC. If it kept a running tally of the number of sorties by each country you'd get a reasonable estimate of each countries relative strength and squad CO's could make their calls from that.

Pageflip

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
inocent numbers question
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2001, 05:58:00 PM »
Perhaps country changes can occur in some logical way.  When people initally sign up and pick a country it will initially only let you pick the country that has the least number of players or maintain a set percentage inbalance. This way the totals will be more evenly distributed.  Maybe country changes can also be allocated in a similar way.  If there becomes an inbalance of say 15% (or some other factor) between countries a country change won't be allowed until that inbalance gets reduced (i.e. someone from those higher numbered countries changes sides).  

I think it would be pretty simple for AH to keep track of the players being on which countries at any given point in time.  It would be a simple logic program to dictate when/how people could move.  I think this would add greatly to the balance of total players.  However, you will still (and probably ALWAYS) have inbalances at various times of day or when large squads are active. I don't think this problem will ever be solved.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
inocent numbers question
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2001, 05:43:00 AM »
What would happen if 2.00 perk points were awarded to the underdog country every 10 minutes just for being there?
sand

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
inocent numbers question
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2001, 07:57:00 AM »
Then I'd leave my computer on all day sitting in the tower of the least popular team  :D

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
inocent numbers question
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2001, 12:07:00 PM »
I knew there was a catch...  :)
sand

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
inocent numbers question
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2001, 12:17:00 PM »
Personally, I think HTC has already addressed this issue, and will be implemented with the 2 new terrains coming in 2 weeks..

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
inocent numbers question
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2001, 02:38:00 PM »
Rip,

How will the new terrain rotation at the end of each war (not tour) help balance out the number of players?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
inocent numbers question
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2001, 02:41:00 PM »
Spit, I guessing that maybe they will implement *something* along with the terrains...ie., not directly related to the terrains, but maybe with gameplay?  I dunno..maybe that requires another roll...