Author Topic: poor ava  (Read 3507 times)

Offline republic

• Silver Member
Re: poor ava
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2008, 03:46:12 PM »
Sounds like a fun setup, it's been a long time since I've seen an F6F vs 109 setup.
P-47 pilot

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2008, 04:01:28 PM »
49th is becoming a force to reckon with IMO, we'll give JG 54 a run for their money  :aok
Yuppers... All three of us are wrapping 'em up.   :angel:

Not likely. If people wanted to be there they would go there now.
Well in that case, HTC should save the resources and get rid of the AvA altogether... Then they'd have a legitimate claim as the premier WW2 Arcade Game online, instead of a potentially great Historical Game online.

Or......  They could divide the plane sets up by country, with Japanese as one, LW Italian another and RAF, USAAF, Navy, USMC, and Russian as the third?  At least that way you're not fighting against your chosen country's plane set.  think of it as an expanded AvA if you must.  :mad:
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2008, 04:06:35 PM »
I have to disagree with you Republic. The Luftwaffe get's their historical rides 90% of the time. The Allies change airframes weekly and usually end up flying what the Luftwaffe squads and Oldman thinks they should fly.

It's also well known that everytime squads start showing interest in the AVA many of the self proclaimed regulars take offense to them flying in what they consider their arena. So they throw turds until the squads get fed up and leave. It goes back to 5 or 10 players a night and the regulars swapping spit about how much fun their having and how great the fights are now that all the tards are gone. Then a couple of months later they start wondering why nobody flies in the AVA.  The AVA is in that cycle again now. Nothing's changed it's always been this way and it always will. I speak for nobody other than myself this is my opinion.

Some people simply cannot be pleased.

Could you let us know - please - just what it is you would like to see in AvA that we haven't tried over the past year?  And just who it is - now, not three months ago - that's making fun of the way you and your friends fly?

- oldman

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2008, 04:19:52 PM »
Some people simply cannot be pleased....

- oldman
Not even half of 'em anymore.

Oldman, I believe the current set up is pretty accurate, and well balanced, despite the distance from most Air bases.  It gives the tread-heads a great choice for battles, and when the bases are semi-close, some really good fur balling.

Now if you can keep the same balance in other iterations of the AvA. things may well turn around for the better.

Are there nay sayers in the AvA?  Of course there are... just about as many as there are in the MA's.  Some, a very few, actually know what they're talking about.  The rest are just pissed because their precious score is going tang uniform, so they vent on the forums without offering any real solutions.

In regards to the AvA, I think if the moderators/admins did a little research into the historical actions presented, and provided those plane sets to us, that the AvA would start seeing better numbers.  Hell, I don't have all the answers... most folks'll say I don't have any, but I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that HTC is looking at the AvA with an eye to just getting rid of it and sticking with the SEA scenarios and FSO for historic engagements.

:salute
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2008, 04:25:29 PM »
Shifty...i didn't say "everyone wants to point and shoot" did I?
I think you need to stop stalking the forums looking to start trouble
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2008, 04:26:12 PM »
Yuppers... All three of us are wrapping 'em up.   :angel:

Next time you log on look at the O' Club roster, been doing some recruiting
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2008, 04:48:12 PM »
Oldman I think you've hit the nail on the head.  There's a lot of players who got a bad taste in their mouth at some time about the AvA and just refuse to believe it can be fun.

Without the AvA, I wouldn't subscribe to AH, that's just the kind of experience I'm looking for.  I want to fly an aircraft against it's historical rival.  I honestly never look at my score.  Most (if not all) of the best fights I've had I've lost...  I don't want an easy kill, I want to have to work at it.  That's what I want, and usually I find that in the AvA.  (Legal Disclaimer:  you all pay 15 bux a month, you can fly however you want, whenver you want, in whatever you want, it's your prerogative.)

Sure it's not always gumdrops and lollipops.  Sure I get frustrated.  The AvA community is so small, its easy for a few guys to really ruin it for you.....if you let them.  But that's also a benefit.  The community is so small that just a handful of players can affect it for the better.

But...we've been down this road at least a dozen times...  What will be, will be.  As for me, I'll be in the AvA as long as there's someone to fly with/against.  And if it comes a time when there's not, I'll find another game.
P-47 pilot

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2008, 05:49:28 PM »
Shifty...i didn't say "everyone wants to point and shoot" did I?
I think you need to stop stalking the forums looking to start trouble

It's your quote you tell me.

Also I think you should follow your own advice.

I said straight up it was my opinion. That's not stalking, that's giving an opinion.

You seem easily confused.

OM if you want to talk about it. I will be more than happy to do it over PMs. I'm not going to debate you and your new found fanbois at the same time.
If you don't that's fine too. By your response I really don't think you're up to a serious look any opinions other than your own.
<S>

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2008, 05:54:43 PM »
You gents are kinda cranky for Christmas eve.  Might need to fire up the blenders early :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2008, 05:59:14 PM »
You gents are kinda cranky for Christmas eve.  Might need to fire up the blenders early :)

Dont you have a G model to wreck somewhere?  ;)

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2008, 06:00:52 PM »
No doubt the Japanese plane set needs an infusion. The Blue planes fly well in Royal Navy Sea Gray and Green off Norway.
Or another possible setup I've not seen is.

Operation DRAGOON, the invasion of southern France on 15 August 1944, included two carrier task groups:

TG 88.1 (British) with HMS Khedive, HMS Emperor, HMS Searcher, HMS Pursuer and HMS Attacker. These were all CVE's loaded with Wildcats, Hellcats and Seafires;
TG 88.2 (USN) with USS Tulagi, USS Kasaan Bay, HMS Hunter and HMS Stalker. Likewise, these were all CVE's loaded with Wildcats, Hellcats and Seafires.

Opposing them ashore was the Luftwaffe's Jagdgruppe 200 based at Aix-les-Milles and Avignon-East under Jagdfliegerführer Südfrankreich/5. Jagddivision (Luftfoltte 3) and equipped with Bf 109G's. Pilots from the Gruppe did engage Wildcats and Hellcats on several occasions.

While my AvA experience is limited, one of the things that always stood out was that anytime the Spitfire was included in a set up, the LW guys pretty much don't want to play.  Maybe that's changed.

I always figured that a 1943 ETO setup would be the most even and a 1944 PTO would be about the same as the available birds would match up better.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2008, 06:11:49 PM »
Next time you log on look at the O' Club roster, been doing some recruiting
:O  By gumby we better start getting 'em all in there  :salute
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2008, 06:14:06 PM »
Dont you have a G model to wreck somewhere?  ;)
Enough with the purse fights, Squid.  :uhoh  the game already has far too much drama as is.

Merry Christmas
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 06:44:58 PM by Odee »
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2008, 06:14:26 PM »
While my AvA experience is limited, one of the things that always stood out was that anytime the Spitfire was included in a set up, the LW guys pretty much don't want to play.  Maybe that's changed.

I always figured that a 1943 ETO setup would be the most even and a 1944 PTO would be about the same as the available birds would match up better.

Your ideas are good ones. One way I've suggested in the past to make PTO's a bit more palletable for the Axis is to not shove the USAAF and USN down their throats at the same time.
Maybe run a week of Japan vs the USAAF spend another week in Europe then run a week of Japan vs the USN/USMC. In my opinon that would work well in ETO's as well cut down the number of types and match planes historically on a more defined battle field.
Must not be that good of an idea because it's never caught on. :D

As far as the Spitfire, anything other than the MkI and MKV is usually frowned upon.
Even the Seafire II which is nothing but a heavier MkV is regularly left out of setups where it was historically used.
The only reason I can think of is because of it's cannon load. It's much nicer when your the only side with cannons.

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2008, 06:21:13 PM »
Your ideas are good ones. One way I've suggested in the past to make PTO's a bit more palletable for the Axis is to not shove the USAAF and USN down their throats at the same time....

It's much nicer when your the only side with cannons.
I think this depends on how you handle the joint operation of USN/USAAF.  If the Blue is kept to the CV's when facing the LW, then all is fine and dandy as that reflects the historical atmosphere.

The PTO had the majority of countries represented by one plane set or another, and while I disagree with favoring one branch over anther for inclusion, you may have a point as far as 'playability' goes.

The last part is very true on so many levels... in the Main Arenas.  AvA only had a couple LW squads crying about it.  Unfortunately, they cried so loud that the remaining good squads packed their bags and went on holiday.
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!