Author Topic: Logged in...Logged out...  (Read 5227 times)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Re: Logged in...Logged out...
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2008, 09:17:22 PM »
(sigh)

4 planes in a 1 on 1 not 2.

Good lord know I'm really confused  :huh
Lighten up Francis

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2008, 09:19:46 PM »

Must be a internet thing because I don't understand that. You mean to tell me a computer cant compute that if I got rammed the other guy wasn't in the collision? Sounds like cyber BS to me. :salute

Did youl ever tried to actually read the explanation in the various collision threads or on the Aces High Training Corps homepage?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2008, 09:27:50 PM »
Did youl ever tried to actually read the explanation in the various collision threads or on the Aces High Training Corps homepage?

I'll get back to ya on that one  :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2008, 09:43:24 PM »

Must be a internet thing because I don't understand that. You mean to tell me a computer cant compute that if I got rammed the other guy wasn't in the collision? Sounds like cyber BS to me. :salute

So what your saying is you dive through a furball, and some hoser NIK turns into you for the big HO maneuver, you see this and being the better cartoon pilot kick rudder and do a tight barrel roll and watch that HOin NIK pass right over your canopy and.... BANG, your in the tower because he collided with you on his computer. Oh ya, that would work out sooooo much better. Due to that quarter second lag between your two computers he didn't see your awesome move and so collided. Are ya sure you'd like it better that way?

Until the internet connection becomes "faster than light" fast, what we have is about the best your going to get.

Half of your suggestions had to do with points. I think the "bad game play" is DUE TO POINTS ! Everyone is all out after points so they do what ever it takes. That means divebombing lancs, stukas dropping 1 big old bomb on strat then bailing, HOin as many planes as you can get before you get shot down, spawn camp as many GVs as you can before the camp gets busted and so on. You want to play with points???? how about 25 points to take a base.... divided amongst the players in the mission. 5 guys take a base = 5 points each, a horde of 50 = half a point each. If people want the points they will figure out how to plan missions with less guys, or split their hordes into a couple of strike forces to earn more points.

Kills, 5 points per kill, 2 1/2 if you ditch, 1 if you die. Doesn't matter what your flying, or driving. You put enough rounds into a target you get the kill. No more proxies, you crash, you die, you up a new toy thats it, no points, no name in lights for the other guy who just happens to be close enough to laugh at your "technique".

If you have to have ranks, base it ONLY on the points, not hit percentages, not k/d, not things that can be tweaked. Sure this will make it lopsided toward those that have no life other than AH. Award the ranks on a curve as compared with time in game.

This game was a blast EVERY night when most of the people only cared about the fight. Fights in GVs, 1 vs 1 in fighters, even the fight for territory was big, but that is what is was all about, the fight. Thats why you logged in, it was to fight, not to "build your points in a buff tonight because Im slipping back", no body cared. Lets get back to fighting, which ever fight you like, do it. I would love to see the score page get shut down for a month....... how much to get Skuzzy to trip over that wire?

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2008, 09:47:42 PM »
Trotter had an excellent post that sort of addresses this topic a while back.

He asked if there was any desire for role-playing in Aces High; sort of like WoW or something I suppose.

He was roundly shouted down by the community.  We don't need no stinking role playing here!

Yet, I have to wonder if there's something to that idea.  What's the hook to Aces High?  The fight?  The base capture?  Do you ever really "win" anything.

You up, you die.  Every month you are born again.  There is no persistence.  The only victories are the satisfaction of feeling that you are somehow improving.

It's fun for a time, but eventually you come to realize that your burning time for the sake of burning time.  I've been on two years now and I have a bank of perks and some fond memories to show for it.  That's it.  No logbook.  No uber-level 10 fighter pilot character.  No cool virtual scarf or aim-bot.

And then, when more and more often you up to see some clown auger into the radar for the billionth time, or a great "mishun" where we're taking up Russian Il-2s, Brit Typhoons, US Ponies, and German FW-190s, I start to wonder how this is the "premier online WW2 experience".  

Suspension of disbelief?  Indeed.

If you're asking for a solution, I don't have one.  But, when the business plan is to recruit a new bunch of virtual fliers every two years or so when the 'vets' burn out...well, this is what you get.  

I commend this post to the house....ere ere!

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2008, 10:32:20 PM »
The game is waaaay different from what it was 7+ years ago when I signed up. Some bad, some good but all in all its still just a game. I dont care how "pretty" AH2 is, AH1 was the game. I think if more of the "furballers", self proclaimed or otherwise, wanted to fight they should go to the MW arena and leave the base taking to the guys in the LW MA's... I left for a while and came back to see 300+ people in any one of the LW arena's at a given time. I have yet to see what I would call a good furball. Maybe I haven't been back long enough... But a year ago it was still the same. But then again the furballs that used to be...5 years ago... Probably will never be again. But the midwar thing is close enough for me to keep me loggin in for now.

Other than that, taking a break is always a good idea after a long hump.  :D

Yeah Morph, I've been around a few years too. I remember when I first joined after a friend showed me the game, the only thing going was really the fights. After that first night I probably spent the next week playing until 4 in the morning and surfing the net for every resource I could find about dogfighting and playing the game. A "hoarde" might've been four or five guys on a squad going after a base

I think what really changed was when subscriptions really picked up, now you had a bunch of guys logging on who couldn't play but found a flock of others who couldn't really play either and the hoarde was born because there was no reason to improve. But I think over time players gain skills and become weary of the hoarde and start seeking out air combat more. They are replaced by the next batch of new guys who in due course join the hoarde.

I'll admit that I fly the hoarde too at times just to socialize with some of my other friends who are in it, but being in a crowd of 30 circling a base is kind of comical actually, especially rolling undefended bases and hearing all the "Yaaay's" when it goes green. Then there's the unfortunate soul dropping troops for the first time......on the field. Or the 10 guys all blasting away at the one upper and getting upset about getting killshot. HA! I almost forgot about that one poor SOB who gets hammered by that suicidal 190 blasting through the hoardepack and then crying about not getting a check six. I've got news for ya bud, everyone else was afk surfing pron but you, that's why you died, that and your inability to look behind you every once in awhile. Not to mention some of the more sloshed find comfort in the hoarde and enjoy speaking in tongues over range channel. The acm skill level of the average player has dropped dramatically in the past few years, unfortunately many will never know what they are missing.

But the new guys who are just happy to be up and flying without getting their butts shot off in 45 seconds dig the horde and so it is. The only thing I think really slows hoarding and promotes fights is small maps with fewer fields, that way the game play is more concentrated and the hoarde becomes a dogfight just because it has nowhere else to go. Just my personal observation.

All that being said I can always find a real fight when I want to, that hasn't ever changed for the most part. To your point, those were some really great furballs back in the day, and they didn't have to be conjured up by "fightertowns" and such. Still a great game, don't get to play it enough.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2008, 11:10:30 PM »
I like the guys I fly with. The squadrons Ive flown with and continue to fly with. I like the squad I'm on now. I like the Rooks, respect a lot of the Bish and Nits, love the TA and training resources. And I'm nuts about the history the flight sim is based on.

Thats enough for me. Thats all I want from the game and well worth the $15 a month I pay. I dont use the game to sour puss all the other things in life that dont go my way. To me the game is the escape from all that. I like teaming up with good folks and flying my cartoon WW-ll combat planes.

Thats enough. Thats plenty. :salute
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2008, 11:31:21 PM »
Right if ur stuck in the easy mode u are right....It is hard to spot cons in WW2 online...U dont get an automatic icon that is bright red at 6k... Also u have to manually trim ur plane :confused: There is no combat trim :uhoh There is no stall limiter :uhoh There is no super human view out ur 6 o'clock view  :uhoh ,But u can straff down real troops do real types of CAS Close air support  :uhoh Yes the flying part is much more challenging, It is not stuck on xbox live mode...
Hey, dont forget, there's also a bogus FM. All the realism micro management gimmicks are no substitute. The only xbox live BS is over in WWIIOL. Dont even bother starting an argument over this... It's not a matter of fanboy-ism, it's just no contest between the two, as far as air combat is concerned.
                 (Image removed from quote.)I'll get back to ya on that one  :salute
There is such a thing as a universal speed limit in this universe. HTC cant code their way around that; or even internet traffic jams for that matter.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 11:36:00 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2008, 11:33:02 PM »
Why I love the AvA when there's people in it (which there has been lately) historical matchups and player quality is usually better
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2008, 12:31:55 AM »
Or the 10 guys all blasting away at the one upper and getting upset about getting killshot.

Sometimes I wish killshot was disabled, I would shoot the noob that comes diving in on a red guy I have been in combat with and working hard to stay on his tail to get the shot.
I may get 400 to 600 off and here comes noobie swooping in from above between red guy and me just as I am about to pull the trigger. Or you look back and there are 20 other green guys shooting over your shoulder tracers all around. Not only does it look ridiculous there is always someone back there crying " I just died from a killshot because you got in my way."  If i see a 1v1 I usually well tell countryman I well stay out unless you ask for help. Look at my score you can see I play for fun not score. Being a real life pilot and a real life flight instructor has not helped my cartoon flying abilities at all but I still have fun. Wish they would activate the RV-8 again, not a person in the game could touch me in it as a RV-6 is my real life personal airplane. (I know not WW authentic)
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2008, 03:37:28 AM »
I'm fairly new to the world of computers so I don't know how the internet works or ever really wanted to take the time to learn. I do understand now though about why the collision model is the way it is, but it still sucks IMO. In my list of gripes about the game....well I'm not saying they can or should be fixed, but are just things I question sometimes. I don't claim to be right or know all the answers. It's just some of my dislikes about the game. But my list of likes is alot longer  :) When the game quits being fun, I'll quit. :salute

Lighten up Francis

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2008, 03:51:13 AM »
 The ongoing divide between people here about how to play the game is coherant with human nature as a whole. Infact it would be easy to go as far as saying the aceshigh community is exactly the same as the world's politics and conflicts in the current climate. Nobody will give in. Everyone has their own agenda to argue for. Most people wont allow others to follow their own agenda without bothering them about it.

There are distinct and powerfull alliances between those people who share roughly the same game ethics. Or at least close enough game ethics to form unions in opposition to any person or people whose game ethics stray to far beyond the line.

These countries within a game forum are constantly over lapping, disputing territory and beliefs without ever coming to satisfactory outcomes that always incite the defeated to rise again stronger. Our currency is opinion.... and as with any currency the opinionated only become more so as the rest are crowded out of the picture.

I mean christ, we even have people here who would willingly sacrifice their cartoon life over and over for the greater cause. That is a little too metaphorical for comfort right now.
  But when we look at the human race right now, there are common constants that remain steadfast through the ages that no one can deny. Doesnt matter if you are a terrorists hiding in a hole or a millionaire sitting in the jacuzi, you love to laugh with good company, you cry when you endure great loss or hardship. You welcome warmth and shelter and nurishment and good health and all feel the same pain no matter which god or ideal you will die for. We all enjoy the game for the same vague reasons when it comes down to it. Friendship, laughs and a bit of cartoon combat to keep us from killing each other.

Above all things humans share is the need to feel that we belong somewhere or to something. We have our place. We are greeting the next day another step closer to where we want to be, or sitting there already with a smug grin and an old body to nurse to the final sleep. The need belong coupled with our different cultures and creeds is the cause of conflict globaly, along with currency. Same applies with us dweebs and the economic state of opinons round here is booming, hence the global forum confilct that never ceases. If we here could all evolve beyond the level of the human race at present and actualy learn to co-exist in harmony, we might even notice how similar we all are. What an example to the rest of the world we might even be.lol.
 Happy New Year everyone, and for ****'s sake stop ruining this great game  

pass me a tissue that has to be one of the best posts i've ever read  :cry
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2008, 09:28:17 AM »
Some interesting comments....

1st off. I've been here since beta and have watched the game evolve (and IMO devolve at times) during its entire public life. My initial post is nothing other than an observation, it is not a condemnation of a particular side, person, squad or style of play. It grew out of a conversation on squad channel that surprisingly revealed that every single person on at that time was either on the verge of or seriously contemplating canceling their subscription. I do not ever voice my discontent on squad vox...I was amazed when someone else actually commented that they were leaving at the end of the current tour what the responses were.

I have no issues with those that want to play the current version of AH, I simply view it as a waste of time. You need look no farther then the thread below on "who is better" naming two squads who symbolize (IMO) literally everything wrong with the current game play...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline beddog

• Copper Member
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2008, 09:33:53 AM »
I commend this post to the house....ere ere!

I second that lynx.
:disclaimer: 79% of all my posts are Sarcastic.  It's too much work for me to point out which posts are sarcastic and which aren't, so I'm going to use this signature to reduce overhead and sarcastic post identification time consumption or SPITC for short.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2008, 09:36:37 AM »
It grew out of a conversation on squad channel that surprisingly revealed that every single person on at that time was either on the verge of or seriously contemplating canceling their subscription. 

Hopefully none of my British Brothers! 
The Few ***
F.P.H