Author Topic: AvA Attitude  (Read 3619 times)

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
AvA Attitude
« on: December 29, 2008, 02:14:53 PM »
I've been flying online for over 10 years now. I spent a long time in Warbirds and was deeply involved in the Historical Arena, Special Events and general arena maintenance. I was involved to the point I wrote scripts in Warbirds script language to the point of completely automating a real time 72 hour Battle of Britain event.  Also I was a trainer forever as well. Thats just to say I'm no rookie to any of this.

I've been flying in Aces High for a few years now ( I changed my handle back to my Warbirds handle recently) and it is a much better game.

It does, however, suffer from some player induced issues I haven't seen as prevalent before.

There seems to be an epidemic of whining about leaving people alone to fly in a 1 v 1 fight in a MMOG arena.

The best analogy I've heard is the Bruce Lee analogy. You know the scene where the expert martial artist is surrounded by 50 bad guys. They all take turns fighting the master, allowing them to kick their butts one at a time.

I really like the history aspect of the game and enjoy flying as part of a team. My squadron and the camaraderie are why I fly at all nowadays. The Dueling Arena is always available for 1 v 1 and I enjoy some good fights in there occasionally.

So I go into the AvA today. When I log in there are two guys flying allied so I up a C-205 and go hunting. I find some B-17's at 100 feet over a friendly field and attack them, dying in the process. I up another 205 and find the other allied player in a heavy Pony and kill him. He ups a Spit and I kill him in that. He ups some B17's and I kill one before I get an oil leak and go land. As I land I see a P38 swooping the field. I up a 190A8 and see Lonmower get swooped and killed by the P38 (Fudgums) a mile off the end of the runway. I levelled for speed and put the autopilot on to adjust my views while keeping an eye on the P38. I whacked a tree while adjusting my views so I upped another 190.

The P38 and Lonmower are fighting right over the base now. He must have upped right after he got killed. He was doing ok but not obviously winning so I jump right in and proceed to kill the P38. I never thought this was going to provoke the rules godz of the AvA to stir to action. But, alas, I was wrong.

I have always hated players trying to impose artificial rules. I've never understood it and, frankly, I take it as a sign of weakness to be exploited. My 30 minutes in the AvA is met with silly rules and insults.

Fudgums got his 1 v 1 with me a little while latter.

I think the AvA is suffering from a bunch of rules curmudgeons who can't have fun.

I have films as well. Maybe I will post my big gang/pick of fudgums for the AvA rules committee to judge.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 02:17:07 PM by Dawger »

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
Re: AvA Attitude
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 02:46:16 PM »
This isn't going to end well . . .  :noid
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 03:04:20 PM »
He does have a point.

I've been driven off from the AvA by similar attitudes for long periods of time, myself. Not counting last night (which was fun!) the last time I was on we had a bunch of gang banging going on, picking and near-vulching. I see somebody swoop in fast numerous times, he gets several kills. I pull the same tactic, get a little distance, come back 3-4k (fight on the deck) and get a kill on the earlier picker.

For my efforts I get called out on ch.200 as a picker dweeb BY the guy who had been doing it as a rule. Frankly, the hypocritical comments do get to be a bit much. Hopefully it's improving past this point, but change is slow I guess.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 03:05:09 PM »
I would have settled this over PMs
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 03:06:58 PM »
I'm sympathetic to what you express here.  That said, I think fudgums is merely repeating the supposed man-code that was imposed on the ava by others long ago.  This isn't about any particular individual, but rather a set of ideas and, as you say in the thread title, attitude.

The culture of AH is very different from what Warbirds was years ago.  This surprised me, but it's true.  "Pick" wasn't even part of the Warbirds lexicon so far as I can remember.  The intention to land a sortie was not looked down upon in the HA.  Things are different here.  <shrugs>

What I do know is that it's wrong to try to force others to play your way.  There's no right way to have fun here when you pay for the privilege. :salute
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 03:18:58 PM »
Dawger best thing to do is when you see a 1v1 is ask before joining in. People come in the AvA because of the smaller numbers and good fights. You don't want to see any "attitude" then show some respect instead of just trying to get another easy kill. If you do keep acting like you're flying in the MA just to land kills then I guarantee you will be driven out.

With that said, making a thread like this will only get you in trouble with the higher ups. I suggest editing it before its to late.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 03:30:48 PM »
1. Yes I did "pick" or have an altitude advantage. He made a few loops around the runway as well.

2. He upped again. This time I was lower and getting ready for a good fight. I get some pings on Lon. then he reveresed. Then I was about to reverse back on them. Then I see you just come on in at 200. When Im practically not moving. You blast me, Im dead.

3. The past weeks I've been flying in the AvA alot. yes there has been alot of tension. Yes there has been alot of arguements. But when ever theres 1v1. People dont gang. Last night for example. We got a new squadiee(Warmongo). He wasnt winning a fight against shifty. Me and Buster could of went down and ganged Shifty. I sent a PM to Shifty. To tell him not to worry about me and buster picking or ganging.

4. We had a 1v1 later. You got me you sent a <S> I sent one back

5. Another "Dweebish" rant because you can't get your kills or something. It is more of a respect thing for other players. I think it is for you. Especially your comments coming back at me and also posting on here. When you say I can do what I want because I pay. Well I pay to. I respect 1v1 and I dont gang. Getting in furballs is a different situation.

I have much more to say but im not. Its not worth my time
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 03:38:20 PM »
I have yet to see the 1vs1 any time I fly in the AVA, instead I'll be jumped by anything red. That along with seeing vulching and everything else that is supposed to be looked down upon. I'll stay out of a 1v1 but the rules can go in the garbage.

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 03:40:52 PM »
Whiteman when was the last time youve flown in there.

Cough btw F4uAs are enabled cough cough

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 03:49:10 PM »
I would have settled this over PMs

I concur.
P-47 pilot

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 03:50:13 PM »
Midway setup a few weeks ago. Vulched on take off, I finally get up only to have 3 a6ms on me. Before that the Okinawa setup, funny enough vulched while taking off from cv, ack was so light cv group ack was dead. When I finally get up I'm lucky to get 2v1 with of course 1 guy turning with me while the other using BNZ.

I'll be there later to check it out and expect to get ganged.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 03:52:23 PM »
Well... when ever I see a squaddie (or often even any other friendly) being o the losing side of a 1vs1, I will certainly intervene to save his butt. I could see no other way, unless it was a prearranged duel at DA, where other players are expected not to join.

If people want 1v1 fightes, they go to DA. Otherwise it is a WW2 MMPOLG, which usually means a multiple enemy environment. No mercy, no whining. It is up to everyone themselves if they dont lok after their own butts. People have forgotten how and when to disengage from a fight if other enemies arrieve to the scene. They act like target fixated bulls and follow their single target until they die.. or get a kill and then die from their bad position, when instead they could disengage and get into a better position to fight against both (or more) enemies... to kill them all and even return home with the kills :)

Only sore losers whine and the whining makes them sink even lower. As simple as that :devil That is why I hardly ever bother using ch200 for anything else than for a rare whim of entertainment/amazement of the "Whiners Low" - soap opera.

UGH - Me has spoken  :P

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 03:57:19 PM »
picking, hoing and ganging are part of the game
some do it all the time and some don't
some do it some of the time and some don't
some ask before stealing your kill and some don't
ppl 8 to 80 play this game the way they want to ... pay monthly to

live with it

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Steel

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 04:28:58 PM »
I noticed the same things....

The first few times I showed up it as interesting to say the least. There is definitely a "This is my sandbox." attitude.

Other than low numbers its abig reason why I dontfly there...

Steele

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 04:41:05 PM »
If you do keep acting like you're flying in the MA just to land kills then I guarantee you will be driven out.

Another attitude that needs to go into the scrap pile. No paying customer should be driven out and there shouldn't be a drive em out attitude.
I'm sure dawger could have found a better way to express his displeasure then again I'm one to talk.  ;)

The drive em out attitude has historically been one of the bigger problems IMHO.

Just saying.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV