Author Topic: AvA Attitude  (Read 3644 times)

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
Re: AvA Attitude
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2008, 03:14:40 AM »
If people want 1v1 fightes, they go to DA. Otherwise it is a WW2 MMPOLG, which usually means a multiple enemy environment. No mercy, no whining. It is up to everyone themselves if they dont lok after their own butts. People have forgotten how and when to disengage from a fight if other enemies arrieve to the scene. They act like target fixated bulls and follow their single target until they die.. or get a kill and then die from their bad position, when instead they could disengage and get into a better position to fight against both (or more) enemies... to kill them all and even return home with the kills :)

Timeless Advice..............   :salute
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2008, 07:31:39 AM »
Want to see their real attitude towards the AH Community? Read their forums; it speaks volumes of how they treat others in the Arena.

http://www.ahgreenhearts.org/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=8

LMAO I just read through the threads on that BBS.

AVA lately
by jaeger on October 24th, 2008, 9:37 am

i have to say the AVA been quite fun the last few days. lets hope it stays that way now that we've re-conquered our beloved arena!!

Pure gold. :lol

Tyrant you're partly correct I am a Putz, but I wasn't trying to stir the pot.   ;)

Oh yeah who is mini me?  :rofl
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 08:06:46 AM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2008, 07:46:27 AM »
Dawger, you working for NBC?

because you just come in there. We tell you how things go. Not rules but how 1v1 are respected and stuff. then you come on here and tell the world.

The thing is...only 14-20 people get in the arena each night. There is no room for MA mentality. It is straight 1v1 fun. Id rather die in a 1v1 then die when someone jumps in. Most of the new guys that came in. Got it fast. 1v1 are the best way to learn. Not to jump in. If you have a problem then leave or we will fight some where else from you. But Im not going to change my style. or let someone else. Come on here and try to humilate me.

This is where your argument falls completely apart.

I didn't ask you to change your play style. You demanded that I change mine.

And going to fight your 1 v 1 on a secluded part of the map is just fine by me. I'm not going to go bother you.

It is interesting that you try to turn this 180 degrees from reality.

Last night I had a blast in the AvA with the exception of a little whining on 200. All the whining was from 2 people. You and Buster. Buster eventually chilled out when he realized we were just there to fly and have a good time.

As for 1 v 1 being a good way to learn you would be correct. But the ideal 1 v 1 learning experience is achieved by flying against someone who can explain your mistakes and help you correct them. And to eliminate all differences except pilot technique the 1 v 1 should be in identical aircraft with identical loadouts (unless exploring a particular matchup then each pilot should swap each hop to see the matchup from both sides)

I have flown literally thousands of 1 v 1 training flights. I find organizing a 1 v 1 over in the DA much more fun than worrying whether or not I will find one in an arena. The arenas are for the Massively Multiplayer part of the game. The DA is for organizing 1 v 1 training or flying challenge duels. But flying a 1 v 1 that you arrange in the AvA off in a corner is a good solution that I've seen utilized in many different arenas over the years. Nobody is going to bother you. Well, not me anyway.

Unless, of course, its me you want to go 1 v 1 against.

Offline Wolfie

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2008, 08:00:05 AM »
I believe most people would safely assume that when you make a statement that contains the words " I guarantee" it suggests that you will take an active part in making said prediction come true to the best of your abilities, or support such an endeavor.

Joe Namath 'guaranteed' a Super Bowl victory.

If the Jets had lost & a reporter asked him 'what about that guarantee, Joe?" and Namath replied with your "Where did I say I would be the one to win the Super Bowl?"  he would be in the football follies but not the Hall of Fame :)

Unless you are guaranteeing something like 'the sun will go down' or 'jumping in the pool will get you wet', the implication is that you will, as Namath did, do your best to make your guarantee come to fruition.

And the 'problem' would probably be perceived by some to be two fold.
1- The lack of players in an otherwise beautiful arena in a gaming community that regularly host upwards of 400 players a night online, and the lack of steady opponents for AvA players.
2- The predominant attitudes reflected in your beliefs that one could/would get 'run off' and driven away from a community that members should be trying to grow, which brings us back to #1.

Self Fulfilling prophesy.

The great combination of player contributed skins, terrains & scenarios available in the AvA is negated by a community that unfortunately shoots itself in the foot when handling other aspects of the arena.

Thank Goodness for the Snapshots, SnS and other events that still let folks get that historic experience when they need it.

Nailed it! :aok
 :salute

Offline a4944

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2008, 08:10:24 AM »
We have too many unwritten rules.  Forget defining the rules, ask for courtesy and respect.

I've been in the AvA when one of these new guys get attacked by a bunch of old timers lacking courtesy and respect in "enforcing" these rules.  

It goes something like this ...
"Why you flying at 10k you dweeb?  You are a picker dweeb"

Of course the response is defensive.  How could it not be?

How about ...
"With low numbers we like to keep it under 5k and avoid ganging to help get good fights and the night going"

The response would probably be

"Oh, OK"

If the new guy is rude, respond in kind, but try the couteous approach first and take some time to help them.  We may just grow the arena ...  

Venom
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 08:12:44 AM by a4944 »

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2008, 08:12:54 AM »
I get bored with one vs one.  Usually one plane/pilot combo is better, and you get the same result over and over.  I don't mind a one vs many, especially if I am in the better T&B plane.  A 1 vs 4 is a gang, a 1 vs 2 is a challenge.  Because of these so called rules, 1 vs 2 is discouraged even though it adds a new challenging element to the game.  You have to have SA and approach a fight differently if there are more cons.  Why limit the engagments to a repetitive 1 vs 1 fight where you bleed all E?  Variety is good.  Why should we limit it to working on 1 vs 1 skills, what's wrong with 1 vs 2 skills?  We have too many unwritten rules.  Forget defining the rules, ask for courtesy and respect.

I've been in the AvA when one of these new guys get attacked by a bunch of old timers lacking courtesy and respect in "enforcing" these rules.  

It goes something like this ...
"Why you flying at 10k you dweeb?  You are a picker dweeb"

Of course the response is defensive.  How could it not be?

How about ...
"With low numbers we like to keep it under 5k and avoid ganging to help get good fights and the night going"

The response would probably be

"Oh, OK"

If the new guy is rude, respond in kind, but try the couteous approach first and take some time to help them.  We may just grow the arena ...  

Venom

Good stuff Venom. I have to say Sunday night was fun. There was a pretty steady furball near one of the Allied bases and everybody seemed to fight hard in their planes and kept a humorous attitude about any other goings on. If that is the current norm, there's every reason to hope for future good things in the arena.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 08:28:26 AM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2008, 08:26:26 AM »
Now now, there are several of us in JG-54 who, as far as I know, have done nothing to deserve scorn.  Lets not throw the word "they" around too much.

Like my ol football coach told us when they wanted to get the point across about who you associate yourself with reflects on you, "Hang out with **** and you start to smell like it".

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2008, 08:30:27 AM »
Eh, Fudgums and stodd get like that sometimes, everyone does. It's kind of a new AHII tradition that the newer people start to follow from the "older" guys who seem to know "everything."

Sometimes, it is frustrating, but remind them that it's only cartoon planes, and they'll settle down quickly. Got a PM after killing an F4U 2 or 3 days ago, the guy seemed furious, settled it by just saying "It's alright man, we're only talking cartoon planes here"

Remind them, and they'll pipe down pretty quickly.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2008, 08:49:48 AM »
I had a great time last night, as I usually do.  Unfortunately the forum is always filled with constant bickering.

Nearly every night I play, 200 is very mild, actually milder than the MA's most nights.  I probably log a little earlier than most (10pm central)...so maybe thats it.  I genuinely admire some of my opponents.  I've seen B4Buster do some amazing things in a P-38, Shifty gave me a workout in his F4U, Fudgums is always up for a fight, etc.  I try to fly allied as much as possible, to get to know some of them.  You can tell a lot about a person by the way they fly and conduct themselves on range vox.

Also, what no one has said here is how awesome the fights have been, at least the last couple nights.  There were only a couple of Spitfire sorties last night.  I have no problem fighting a spit in a 109, I may lose, but it doesn't hurt my feelings.  But the allies were specifically avoiding the 'easy fight', and I thank them.  The Axis, as far as I know, had few if any, 110 HOing rampages.  I was only ganged a couple of times, which is to be expected.  I flew over with wingmen, they fell from the sky, so I was next.  The fights were low, with only the P-47's and 190's grabbing much alt at all.  No radar porking, no vulching that I saw or experienced.

Despite the drama here, there are those of us quietly enjoying the AvA.  Come and join us.  :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 08:57:31 AM by republic »
P-47 pilot

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2008, 09:06:45 AM »
well said republic. I too had fun last night.
Great fights last night guys, keep it up!! <S> to all that played!

Offline Steel

• Copper Member
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2008, 09:08:05 AM »
http://www.ahgreenhearts.org/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=8

Wow....

With that much hatred and generally bad attitudes its not hard to see the resemblance to the AvA.

That's just sad.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2008, 09:12:19 AM »
actually its called freedom of speech. 1st amendment.

let he, who has committed no sin, cast the first stone!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 09:14:32 AM by captain1ma »

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »
actually its called freedom of speech. 1st amendment.

Freedom of speech what the heck does that have to do with it, he's talking about attitudes, it reminds me of the seagull seen in Finding Nemo, the seagulls are sitting on the dock saying Mine Mine Mine over and over.

"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2008, 09:24:27 AM »
Hopefully, we'll see all you all in there tonight being all civilized and nicey nicey to each other tonight. its been great fun.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2008, 09:44:22 AM »
Freedom of speech what the heck does that have to do with it, he's talking about attitudes, it reminds me of the seagull seen in Finding Nemo, the seagulls are sitting on the dock saying Mine Mine Mine over and over.

He's talking about the JG54 forum. We have that one so we can have our first amendment. There we, and anyone who wants to join us, can say what we want without having to worry about getting hit with a PNG stick.

Its funny how the tread was started talking about "attitude" of a few people that were not JG54 but the tread comes down to JG54.

To you luttrel, we are here to stay. We don't go running off crying cheat when someone kills us. When you and your merry men get tired of porking dars else were you know where to find us. :rolleyes:
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner