Author Topic: Who should die in a collision  (Read 2254 times)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Who should die in a collision
« on: December 29, 2008, 09:51:20 PM »

Who should die in a collision and how is it determined?

The reason I ask is, most of my collisions say the other guy hit me. How do they know that and why does the guy who did the colliding always end up still being able to fly.

I try to get away, i really do but 9 times outta ten I'm the guy left floating.

Seems to me to be if they can determine who collided into who they can determine who should take the most damage to be fair about it. If the guy who intentionally rams knows he won't lose a wing but might smoke his eng, he will exploit that fact. Almost never do I fall to the ground if it was me who gets the  YOU COLLIDED WITH mesg.

:)   :furious   :)

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Re: Who should die in a collision
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 09:53:38 PM »
...not tryin' to be a too (pun intended :)), but, a simple search will show you what you are asking. Generally, folks don't seem to realize that the other guy is probably shooting as well. If you don't get a message saying you collided and you take damage...he shot you.

NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 09:58:38 PM »

Seems to me to be if they can determine who collided into who

No they can't determine who collided into who.

It's simple:
Collision detected on your screen: You take damage, actual amount can vary
Collision detected on your enemy's screen: He takes damage, actual amount can vary.

For the rest of the story and why it has to be the way it is, please see the plethora of collision threads on this BBS, also "How lag affects Aces Hight" on the Trainer's webpage.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 09:59:53 PM »
No they can't determine who collided into who.

It's simple:
Collision detected on your screen: You take damage, actual amount can vary
Collision detected on your enemy's screen: He takes damage, actual amount can vary.

For the rest of the story, please see the plethora of collision threads on this BBS.

"Plethora". Fanciest word I've seen so far today on the BBS.  :aok
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 10:00:57 PM »
When I said i really do try to get out of the way, i was referring mostly to guys who pull up and stir their sticks up right in front of you thinking somehow that will save them.... and it seems to work.

As you know, most of these types of threads spawn here during one school break or another.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 10:04:25 PM »
Tools from my experience...if it says:

You have collided, usually you take 100% damage, opponent takes none or minimal.
<> has collided with you, usually you take no damage, but sometimes will take minimal damage.
Or if both messages come up, both players are going to receive significant damage.

As for how the system decides who crashed into who, well, that's already been explained and is variable at times.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 10:04:41 PM »
When I said i really do try to get out of the way, i was referring mostly to guys who pull up and stir their sticks up right in front of you thinking somehow that will save them.... and it seems to work.

As you know, most of these types of threads spawn here during one school break or another.

Yep, you run into the back of someone...YOU get a collision message and take damage. They can fly away and never even know you were there. Think of it as rear-ending another driver on the city streets...who is gonna get the ticket?

NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 10:05:22 PM »

In that case, it's your own responsibility not to run into him. If you still do, you were too close/fast in the first place. You messed it up. Get new plane ;)

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 10:08:54 PM »

Who should die in a collision and how is it determined?
:)   :furious   :)

Easy... the sad avacado that tried to fly into me for the ho.

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 10:11:06 PM »
Yep, Plethora is a good word but multitudinous I think is bigger.  :lol

If one guy gets a collided with mesg. the other gets a you collided mesg.  Just seems the guy with the you have collided with mesg should lose in the collision or as in real life both should take heavy damage. That way collisions would be something to try and avoid instead of the take a gamble type mentality I've seen lately.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 10:11:26 PM »
No one "dies".   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 10:14:35 PM »
If one guy gets a collided with mesg. the other gets a you collided mesg.  Just seems the guy with the you have collided with mesg should lose in the collision or as in real life both should take heavy damage. That way collisions would be something to try and avoid instead of the take a gamble type mentality I've seen lately.

Pleaaaasse read about the subject first... It has been explained in lenght why "both should get damage" will result in exact the opposite what you are looking for.

If both get damage, ramming would suddenly really work, and would be almost impossible to dodge for the one being rammed.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 10:18:45 PM by Lusche »

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 10:17:09 PM »
Yeah, I've seen vids from both sides of a collision where theres at least a 100' difference between the two- like a solid nose-to-nose hit on one end and an easy miss on the other. net lag and comp speed has a lot to do with who sees what- one guy can think he got deliberately rammed while the other can think he missed by a mile.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 10:17:45 PM »
That is it, I give up.. If multiple pictures/diagrams and films don't help....

Ghhaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
See Rule #4

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 10:20:13 PM »
Yeah, I've seen vids from both sides of a collision where theres at least a 100' difference between the two- like a solid nose-to-nose hit on one end and an easy miss on the other. net lag and comp speed has a lot to do with who sees what- one guy can think he got deliberately rammed while the other can think he missed by a mile.

Exact the same moment on both pics. First pic is from Pony's film, second pic is from P-47's film. Only Pony took damage. A8tool wants the P-47 to take damage too.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 10:21:54 PM by Lusche »