Author Topic: Respect - Honor - Fair Play  (Read 8741 times)

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
Re: Respect - Honor - Fair Play
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 07:34:41 AM »

It drives me crazy seeing newer flyers within AH taking the easy way out and staying within the huge horde squads. I wish I could take every new guy within AH and show him the freedom of being able to fight and not have to rely on the mob to protect him.

Aces High is a lot like golf, it is a test of personal ability and watching the ability grow and mature from within. Frankly, I don't care if you are a level bomber, a tanker, a furballer, or a tank plinker; just be good at what you do and realize you don't need 30 others guys around you to affect the game.

I'd hate to say this, but most large squads don't "hide behind the horde" with eachother. If they like to do NOE's, it's not a 24 hr 366 day a year thing you know. I usually see about 10 missions a night, when it's most packed. Out of that, I usually see 5 or 6 work. The other 4 or 5 get busted.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 07:39:55 AM »
I'd hate to say this, but most large squads don't "hide behind the horde" with eachother. If they like to do NOE's, it's not a 24 hr 366 day a year thing you know. I usually see about 10 missions a night, when it's most packed. Out of that, I usually see 5 or 6 work. The other 4 or 5 get busted.

Fly Knits...there are no missions  :lol
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 07:50:33 AM »
Well speaking as one of the "vets" who's been here pretty much since it started.

There is much that has changed.
Was there more "honor" back in the early days, with perhaps 150 active players that all knew each other? It was a much smaller community, with a much smaller planeset, a smaller terrain. When someone got a kill, it showed up on the text bufferer. So it was pretty easy to tell when that enemy p51 was Hangtime.

As a direct result, it was easier to be more "honorable" Havn't just seen him take out 3 or 4 other guys, it was easier to say "go land em hangtime, I'll be here when you get back". So it happened more often.

Much has changed, heck the very world we live in has changed.
AH is a great place to work out some frustration and agression.

Respect is complicated. In part its like putting bread out on the waters.
You just keep giveing it, putting it out there, spreading it around. And someday IF you don't screw it up, it will come back to you. Now if you lose your cool, blow your top, get pissy with people, you lose that, and you start back at square one.

Yes in part respect needs to be earned. But how do you show a bunch of new people how to give, and get respect unless you give them some first? You have to prime the pump. You have to get them hooked on it. You have to teach them the finer points.

Part of the problem I think is that the turnover rate is exceeding the education rate. Thats not something the trainer corps can address. Thats something the community needs to adress.

The other thing that enters into the equation, is that people are different.

In the first 5 years of AH, if you saw someone under 18 in AH, chances were he was bright, intelligent, driven, mature, and willing to work hard to succeed and fit in.

Now the younger people I see joining AH are not that bright, incabable or unwilling to read, have no interest in learning, or fitting in. They just want to game, and they don't care HOW they do it.

By their standards, they have honor of a sort. But by ours, they have none, and this is a big part of where the conflict lies.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 07:56:15 AM »
Great post beemer. Hopefully it will stay civil.

I've been playing flight sims for 12 years or more. The term honorable is elusive to me. The other day I saw a duel going on between a countryman and a knight. I asked if he needed help. He said no. So I stayed out. That's honorable. But if he lost I was going in. Is that honorable! Many will say no. For one I had no idea how the fight developed. Did the con come in with alt. Did the con have a superior plane. Heck I didn't look to see what the friendly was flying.i always ask before interfering....no answer, i come into it........tell me to stay out, i stay out.

Is spying honorable. Nope. Yet about every country did it in WWII. and pretty many do it here too. i just saw an example of it in MW a couple nights ago.

Is shooting down a glider honorable. Some will say no? What if the guy calls out no ammo? back in AW3, a few of us used to exit the fight, when the other called no ammo. i no longer do, thanks to people like seighn. Should you shoot him down anyway. Some will say no and others yes. Personally I will shoot either plane down. Reason: They should have managed their resources better and why should they get a free pass out after attacking our countrymen or our base. BTW, we use to do that back in AW. That is give free pass. I remember the turning point for me though very clearly. I saw a low con coming in and he said that he was out of ammo. So I let him go. He landed 12 kills and AW didn't have a rearm pad. So I looked at the after action reports. He had been shooting down his own squaddie to get better fighter ranking.

Respect I do understand and is not elusive. Respect is when you give a check 6 and thank those that give it to you. Respect is when you refrain from flaming another and when you <S> the guy that shot you down in a good fight. Respect is when you pick someone and don't hale it over the country channel. Respect is to treat others the way you want to be treated.

Fair play I will leave for others. That is just as elusive as honor.fair is easy.......if your the 1 in a 1 vs many....anything goes.....if your one of the many, then maybe you should back off, and let the one have a chance, especially if it only started as a 1vs1 or 2. if it is onlyt a 1 vs 1, then avoid the face shooting, ramming, etc. chances are good you don't really need to do it. if you were just fighting in a furball between two bases, no near any ack, and get shot down, when you come back, there's no need to come back at 20k when the fights down at 3 to 5k or lower.  

Addendum: There is not much fair about this game. It's really more about freedom than fairness. The freedom to choose what you want to do and what to do it in. For the most part you can choose the situation you want to be in or the situation you want to avoid. For instance if there is a large horde and not many friendlies you don't have to fly to defend. You can sit in a manned ack or up a gv or just avoid the area. Better yet just fly on the fringes of the horde and drag one out. Still though if you go to the level of pilot vs pilot, plane vs plane there will never be fair play. It's not even possible.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 07:56:46 AM »

In the first 5 years of AH, if you saw someone under 18 in AH, chances were he was bright, intelligent, driven, mature, and willing to work hard to succeed and fit in.

Now the younger people I see joining AH are not that bright, incabable or unwilling to read, have no interest in learning, or fitting in. They just want to game, and they don't care HOW they do it.

By their standards, they have honor of a sort. But by ours, they have none, and this is a big part of where the conflict lies.

I wouldnt just single out under 18's with that brush i've seen countless "adults" behave just as bad when it comes to respect.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 08:07:09 AM »
I hate to bring this up again, I feel as though I am wasting my time. You view this game a certain way that is vastly different from my own, but this is how I view the game when looking at a new player.

(I posted this in a different forum)
_____________________________ _____________

1. Guy starts AH, has no clue what to do.

2. He finds the ACM/Dogfighting skill curve too steep, decides to affect the game the only way he can; bombing.

3. He starts off with heavy fighters, most often augering in the process of hitting the target.

4. He moves on to heavy bombers, not always learning how to use the bomb site.

5. He finds a squad of like minded individuals, and with enough of them, they begin to feel as though they are unstoppable. They ridicule everyone they steam roll and avoid those they can't gang easily enough.
--------

At this point they;

A. Continue to base take with large numbers and futher refine the process with more numbers or specialized missions.

B. Get bored of base taking.

C. Get tired of being smacked around by experienced sticks and approach a friendly one to teach them.

D. Decide to approach the game from a new perspective, often through scenarios or some other event.
_____________________________ _

It drives me crazy seeing newer flyers within AH taking the easy way out and staying within the huge horde squads. I wish I could take every new guy within AH and show him the freedom of being able to fight and not have to rely on the mob to protect him.

Aces High is a lot like golf, it is a test of personal ability and watching the ability grow and mature from within. Frankly, I don't care if you are a level bomber, a tanker, a furballer, or a tank plinker; just be good at what you do and realize you don't need 30 others guys around you to affect the game.

That said, there are very few I honor within Aces High and those gents I've known for well over 10 years (people like Corky, Silat, Fencer). I respect many that don't share my view of how Aces High so long as they reciprocate; don't hide in the horde or ruin the few good fights the rest of us can find on the map.

That said, have you spent anytime with someone who can show you some moves in the DA, Bmwgs? The joy of base taking can't even compare to taking on multiple cons by yourself and winning. Until you have tasted that freedom, you haven't really experienced Aces High, imho...

Let me know, I'd be more than happy to teach you the little I know.

Brilliant.
See Rule #4

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 08:21:46 AM »
I wouldnt just single out under 18's with that brush i've seen countless "adults" behave just as bad when it comes to respect.

Some of the worst people in the game, when it comes to negativety and "downing" other players, are adults. Tripl5 (triplcry), SkyRock (used to be, but he's gotten much better) and more.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 08:49:47 AM »
My definition of respect:

I treat others with respect regardless of whether I am acquainted with them through the internet or face to face.. In my opinion, this game is a very good environment in that it shows how someone really acts toward others they most likely will never meet in person. I do not associate with those that insult with anonymity. I respect those that can have differences in opinion still be civil about it.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 08:54:43 AM »
The notion that there is a "right" or "wrong" way to play this game will eventually destroy the game itself.

I fly all different styles at one point or another. I enjoy some more than others and some I don't do more than once a year because i don't like them.

A few nights ago I was participating in the mindless low level furball that Guppy and Delirium enjoy so much. They were in the same fight and we communicated on the same channel. Everyone seemed to be having fun although some of the 38 drivers were complaining about not finding their exact version of a "good fight". They post here about not wanting to save their own skins but it was fairly obvious they did as I saw multiple landings of multiple kills and lots of back patting. There is nothing wrong with that (in fact I enjoy it still after all these years of online flying) but if you profess to not care about not landing kills, then don't land any.( I like to land, kills or not. My real world flying job stresses the importance of landing and I guess it carries over. I don't even like to bounce landing online if I'm not under pressure to land.) Its much faster to get back into the fight if you simply split S into the ground. So posting here about the honor and glory of the fight with no regard for recognition and then landing multiple kill sorties in a low level furball repeatedly is a little hypocritical. (Yea, I know y'all are going to be mad at me now but this "my way is better than your way" is not a good thing)

Yesterday I participated in a sneak attack mission on the guys in it were having a blast coordinating the effort of ground and air forces to effect the quick destruction and capture of a base. Can't fault them for their fun.

My squadron usually flies from a base a little to the rear, grabs altitude, fights on the edge of the fight and we begin our egress when the numbers look to be overwhelming. We like to fly as a team and land as a team. The boss loves to see multiple kills sorties landed by everyone in the sortie. I consider it a a personal failure if I let one of my squad mates die during a sortie. That's my thing and that's our squadron thing.

That doesn't mean we don't go out and furball on the deck willy-nilly occasionally. Its not my favorite thing to do because it is more like dodging traffic on the interstate than 3-D aerial combat but I enjoy it occasionally and it sharpens up the SA. I much prefer evenly matched unit engagements initiated at real world altitudes. Nothing better than an X v X between two squads that work well together. Also very hard to find these days.

Some of my best online memories are me and a wingman against  the best 190 wing pair I've ever seen slugging it out for 30 minutes without ever getting a guns solution or letting the fight degenerate into the low level, low speed circle jerk that (to me) indicates poor head work. (Note: this is my opinion and what I think is fun. YMMV)

Everybody has preferences for gameplay. None are better than others. Implying that another player is somehow inferior because he chooses to play in a different manner does not help the game.

The style I fly with my squadmates is commonly referred to as "alt-monkey, cherry picking, gang bangers". The CO and I are rather proud of it because that is exactly what we want our guys to do. Go in with altitude, fight as a team (one guy distracts the bandit while his wingman kills him. One of my dicta in a multiple bandit engagement is to pressure a bandit that is pressuring a squadmate. If you are after a bandit that is not offensive on a friendly you are in a drag and bag.) and choose fights that leave open an egress. We preach planning your egress before you roll into a fight. We preach not getting anchored in a knife fight. We have a written doctrine on how to "run away". Its called egress under pressure and works fairly well as a fighting egress allowing us to clear each other without getting anchored. Its what I like and its what the CO likes. We have been doing it for years. And we catch a lot of insults in Aces High.

And that leads me to my final point. We came to Aces High with about 20 active squadron players a few years ago. We now half less than half of that number. I cannot say the specific reason why that is so.

But I can say the constant whining about different styles of game play on country, 200 and vox gets very tiresome for me. Eventually all that will remain are those who are doing the whining.

There is no honor involved in an online game. Honor requires that you stand to lose something or take something away from someone.

Fair play means equal opportunity not equal result and there is every opportunity for fair play in every sortie.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 08:58:13 AM »
My definition of respect:

I treat others with respect regardless of whether I am acquainted with them through the internet or face to face.. In my opinion, this game is a very good environment in that it shows how someone really acts toward others they most likely will never meet in person. I do not associate with those that insult with anonymity. I respect those that can have differences in opinion still be civil about it.
you are correct....this game overall, is a good place.

i don't treat everyone with respect though. you want it, you have to earn it, or give it. i treat people in here just as i would if they were in the same room with me. you treat me like crap, i treat u that way. you treat me with respect, then i do the same.
 pretty simple really.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 09:00:20 AM »
you are correct....this game overall, is a good place.

i don't treat everyone with respect though. you want it, you have to earn it, or give it. i treat people in here just as i would if they were in the same room with me. you treat me like crap, i treat u that way. you treat me with respect, then i do the same.
 pretty simple really.
Tard  :P :D
See Rule #4

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 09:16:26 AM »

In that other thread I pointed out that I was CO of the Mafia for a couple of years and that we ran missions from NOEs to multipronged attacks that dominated maps on squad nights. The bold comment above is what we are talking about. In our "hay-day" in a 3 hour squad night we might run ONE NOE. Today its become the mission of choice. The second point about the above comment is the poster is DEFENDING the hiding ing the horde and NOE's shows that he doesn't understand the idea some of us are trying to get across.

Look at it this way... Noe's are fun, easy, and "5 or 6 out of 10" work, but should you run them that often? When you play chess against a 5 year old nephew do you try to blow him out of the water, or do you play to have fun with your nephew? Humble/snaphook is a perfect example. He takes up A20s, SBDs and so on and takes them into furballs why? Because its more fun for all concerned. Using a weak plane makes it more of a challenge for him, and his opponents have more fun trying to shoot him down because they stand a chance seeing he is in a weak plane. If snap gets in a pony, and Bnz 98% people he comes up against will be grabbing a new plane in the tower mighty quick. To him thats not fun...just to easy killing all those baby seals.... and to those of us who path he crossed.... not fun finding our way to the tower every time. So he changes the way he plays the game to make it more fun.

I don't see where running from a fight is fun, or being the 3rd, 4th, or 5th guy in on a single target is fun, attacking an undefended base from an NOE with 30 other guys is fun. Can someone honestly say any of that is fun? This is a game and is suppose to be fun. This is not a war, and comparing it to real life is just stupid. None of this is "win or die" like real life. If you have to swap side to spy then you are not PLAYING the game, your cheating and going outside the rules. Whats the point of playing if you don't play fair?

Respect, honor, and fair play. I think is something that has been lacking for a long time. Mostly its because they just don't understand. Todays "gamers" are just that, gamers! Most are kids and are only here to WIN ! they come from games that most of the players spend as much time looking for cheat codes as they do playing the game. The "old timers/vets" are people who were drawn into this game and others like it because of the history, and those old kid dreams we had of flying and fighting in these planes. Us "vets" can explain how it was, or about honor and fair play untill we are blue in the face, but the "gamers" like the one I quoted above will never get it ( not picking on you 1plus44 ) they where brought up thinking a game is a game and thats the way they play it, win at all costs. Us old timers look at this as more of a fantasy land where we can relive those old dreams and fly along side "pappy" and Olds" and all the others we read about or saw on the movies.

If you don't go into a fight and whether you win or loose you don't come out with your heart pounding, or your hands shaking you'll never understand. Making your bomb run with your plane bouncing around in the flack and making it out only to be attacked by a few fighters, limping home with an engine out and two more smoking, and again, sitting on the runway with your hands shaking, you'll never understand. If I could GV as well as someone like DR7 ( nothing against DR7, I just think he's one of the best) I wouldn't spawn camp, nor would I sit at a base waiting for GVs to roll in. I'd sit out in the countryside on the route I knew they would take in (most follow a strait path from spawn to target  :rolleyes: ) and I shot a warning shot across the front of their tank from hiding. Then give them a minute to find me before I killed them How much fun would that be!

The fun of this game is the fight, which ever fight your into, fight! Honor is calling out that guy from the other side and saying"Great Fight !" whether you win or loose. Fair Play is making it fun for everyone. Ya I can take 30 guys and take base after base if I want to, but how much fun is that really? It's like that game with your nephew again.... ya you could, but SHOULD you? Respect, is given to those who make the game fun, not to those who have to bend the rules, or break them just to "win".   

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 09:40:11 AM »
From BaldEagl:

Do you understand now?

This is a question I'm not sure how to take.  One part says your being sarcastic, where the other side of me is saying your just asking a question.  Can't really respond to this until I understand the actual intent.

It was just meant as punctuation to my comments regarding your questions about the topic although in retrospect it may have come off as a little harsh and probably should have been left out.

Great post Del.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 09:47:17 AM »
I've got to chime in here on something OT...

If the majority of the playerbase thinks the number of NOEs we have in the MA are excessive, that they are an unrealistic mission profile to use 90% of the time, that other styles lead to more fun and more historical matchups, I agree!

However, as with every other problem that is disliked by the majority, the playerbase seems unwilling to make any changes to do anything about it, such as making DAR extend all the way to the ground, etc.

In our "hay-day" in a 3 hour squad night we might run ONE NOE. Today its become the mission of choice. T
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 09:52:39 AM »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"