Author Topic: Flaps  (Read 1280 times)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Flaps
« on: January 03, 2009, 05:50:29 PM »
You know what would really be helpful to new players?

A detailed write-up on flap usage, such as how and when to use, which aircraft have incremental, which one's are all or nothing, which one's respond best in which circumstance etc.

For example in the 109f you seem to have to kill throttle to deploy flaps and I don't know if this is specific to this plane or not.

I can't seem to find much info

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Re: Flaps
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 06:36:39 PM »
It's not that you need to cut throttle to drop flaps- it's that you need to be below a certain speed for them to deploy.  That's normal for all the planes; gear and flaps won't deploy if you are too fast.

What's too fast? I think about 160mph for most planes, but that varies.  The F4U will drop flaps at about 250mph, and gear at up to 400mph, because the gear was used as a dive brake on that plane.  I think the P51 drops flaps at a bit higher speed than the F4U.  They won't fully deploy at that speed though, just one notch.  Another can be dropped at 255, another at 200, and finally they'll all deploy at 150mph (F4U).

When to deploy them?  Most planes in AH have flaps designed for landing.  The best time to deploy them is when you're setting up a landing  :)

Some planes have flaps designed for maneuvering.  The previously mentioned planes have flaps designed that way, especially dropping one or two notches.  However, while doing so will help in turning, there is a penalty in drag...  As a general rule, maneuvering flaps will deploy in "stages", where non-maneuvering styles will deploy all the way, or not at all.

You may also find a notch of flaps helpful in "heavy" takeoffs, especially from CV's with planes loaded with full fuel, bombs, and rockets.  Not truly necessary, but some find it helpful.  Again, there is a penalty in drag, so you're hurting your acceleration during your take-off roll.  Many "helpful" things in AH have a "negative" side as well.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 07:13:24 PM »
For most players, forget about flaps in the RAF, and Russian planeset. Yes Murdr and Widewing can probably sneak more turn out of an LA with flaps. But for the average player they really are not going to help that often.

KI-84 gets a big boost, but its tough to get it slow enough to get the flaps out.
A6m's out turn everything as it is without flaps, so mostly they are not needed.
Can do more with throttle and trim work.

US planes across the board all fly better with flaps.

Especially, 1 notch going over the top in an Immelmanl, or to tighten that turn just that little bit more.

As soon as your headed back down, or can ease up the turn, pull in the flaps.
Flaps out will cause extra drag, and will result in lost energy. But in many situations can dramatically increase turn.

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 08:12:50 PM »
Do the flaps add any benefit when manoeuvering in the B-25?  I've tried them but it barely seems to stay airborne with them deployed.
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 08:21:50 PM »
Here's a really simple guide to flaps: if you have to turn, pop as many flaps as it will let you, if you still need to turn tighter, chop throttle and pop some more flaps.   If you need speed, bring them in asap.  Watch your speed when diving as it will auto-retract your flaps and may end up killing you.  That's really all there is to it. Only couple exceptions I can think of are the Spit's flaps, which you should only deploy if your pulling hard for a shot or just need to turn super tight, be careful though as it has a nasty tendency to fall like a leaf if you pull too hard.(Wow that sounds dirty)  A good way to learn is to watch good players films and study the flap/throttle usage.
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 09:52:43 PM »
Here's a really simple guide to flaps: if you have to turn, pop as many flaps as it will let you, if you still need to turn tighter, chop throttle and pop some more flaps.

Just a note to newer players, that when we chop throttle as described, we are expecting a prompt payoff for the energy we are sacrificing.  Scrubbing E willy-nilly can easily get you into trouble quickly.

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 10:43:56 PM »
Just a note to newer players, that when we chop throttle as described, we are expecting a prompt payoff for the energy we are sacrificing.  Scrubbing E willy-nilly can easily get you into trouble quickly.

Correct  :)
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 07:33:52 PM »
My 2 cents worth.

In a 109f4 as you mentioned in the first post I use flaps to create ANGLES.....NOT to "out turn" another plane. I use flaps to maintain control of the plane in the verticle and move the nose when the elevators are almost useless.

Flaps and especially the rudder will absolutly kill your energy if you over use them without a good reason.

For me flaps are very important for getting the nose UP in rolling scissors and for "rolling over the top" for a shot. You can also use them to totally "slam the breaks" on if you have no other choice. On the 109f4 flaps come out below 200. If you can maintian between 150 and 250 in the 109f4 you are golden.

Other planes are "golden" and certain speed ranges near their flaps as well. You will have to ask a specific plane expert for more info on a particular plane.

109's in general need a lot of flap usage.  But the p51 doesnt need flaps as much as the 109. If you fight in the verticle for slicing snap shots flaps are mandatory.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 12:23:03 PM »
Flaps for Landings and takeoffs
Flaps are hinged surfaces on the trailing edge of the wings of a fixed-wing aircraft. As flaps are extended, the stalling speed of the aircraft is reduced. Flaps are also used on the leading edge of the wings of some high-speed jet aircraft, where they may be called slats or Krueger Flaps.
Flaps increase the camber of the wing airfoil, thus raising the lift coefficient. This increase in lift coefficient allows the aircraft to generate a given amount of lift with a slower speed. Therefore, extending the flaps will reduce the stalling speed of an aircraft.
Some trailing edge flap systems increase the planform area of the wing in addition to changing the camber. In turn, the larger lifting surface will allow the aircraft to generate a given amount of lift with a slower speed, thus further reducing stalling speed. Although this effect is very similar to increasing the lift coefficient, raising the planform area of the wing does not itself raise the lift coefficient. The Fowler flap is an example of a flap system that increases the planform area of the wing in addition to increasing the camber.
The general lift equation for an aircraft in flight demonstrates these relationships:

where:
•   L is the lift,
•   ρ is the air density,
•   V is the velocity of the aircraft (airspeed),
•   S is the planform area of the wing and
•   CL is the aircraft lift coefficient
Here, it can be seen that increasing the area (S) and lift coefficient (CL) will allow a similar amount of lift to be generated at a slower airspeed (V).
Extending the flaps also increases the drag coefficient of the aircraft. Therefore, for any given weight and airspeed, flaps increase the drag force. Flaps increase the drag coefficient of an aircraft because of higher induced drag caused by the distorted spanwise lift distribution on the wing with flaps extended. Some flaps increase the planform area of the wing and, for any given speed, this also increases the parasitic drag component of total drag.
Depending on the aircraft type, flaps may be partially extended for takeoff. With light aircraft, use of flaps for takeoff may be optional and will depend on the method of takeoff (e.g., short field, soft field, normal, etc.) When flaps are partially extended for takeoff it is to give the aircraft a slower stalling speed but with little increase in drag. A slower stalling speed allows the aircraft to take off in a shorter distance. Flaps are usually fully extended for landing to give the aircraft a slower stalling speed so the approach to landing can be flown more slowly, allowing the aircraft to land in a shorter distance. The higher drag associated with fully extended flaps allows a steeper approach to the landing site. This is the benefit of the higher drag coefficient of fully extended flaps.
Flaps used in air combat

Flaps could be used for the higher drag coefficient to slow the aircraft and to reduce the stalling speed.  Forcing an overshoot in a rolling sissors.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 11:33:45 AM »
i believe that the p51 can deploy 10 degrees of maneuvering flaps at 250mph, and the p38 i think can also.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 11:46:12 AM »
i believe that the p51 can deploy 10 degrees of maneuvering flaps at 250mph, and the p38 i think can also.

P51 300mph, P38 250mph
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 11:58:41 AM »
Jug (at least the d40) will drop the first notch at 400.  After that its 275,225,175,160.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Geophro

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 03:39:50 PM »
Use the TA to test the aircraft you are interested in, then go to an arena and try it in "anger" and see what works and what doesn't after a couple of hundred deaths.  I never did figure the when part out much.  Here are some sample numbers to give you an idea of when you can use various flaps, but no information on when you should use them:

IAS for Notches of Flap Deployment:

Aircraft   1st   2nd   3rd   4th   5th
A6M       170  165   160   155    X
Bf-109    195   185   175   165   155
Bf-110    200   200   200   175   150
C2         180   170   160   150    X
F4F-4     175   175   175   175   175   inc FM2
F4U        250   230   200   175   150
F6F-5     250   225   200   175   150
Fw-190   180   160   140    X      X    inc Ta-152
Hurri       170    X      X      X      X
Ki-61      180   170   160   150    X
Ki-84      168   155     X      X     X
La          175   170   165   160   155
Mosquito 200   200   200   175   150
N12K-J    220   200   180   170   160
P-38       250   250   250   200   150
P-39       180   170   160   150    X
P-40       400   275   225   180   165
P-47       400   275   225   180   165
P-51       400   275   225   180   165
Spitfire    170    X      X      X      X   inc Seafire IIc
Tempest  213   200   187   173   160
Typhoon  155   155   155   155   155
Jephro
Dying as Geophro Tour 91-Tour 104
Getting kills is easy.  Earning kills is better.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 10:20:37 AM »
Much obliged guys, just the info I've been seeking.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 12:33:09 PM »
Hard numbers are nice but don't rely on them. Go by feel. As you gain familiarity with an aircraft you'll be able to tell when to drop a notch of flaps without needing to look at your airspeed. That's MUCH more effective, especially when using flaps for maneuvering where timing is the key.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.