Author Topic: WWIIOL ? Anyone tried this game ?  (Read 3120 times)

Offline Phil

• Copper Member
WWIIOL ? Anyone tried this game ?
« on: January 06, 2009, 03:32:22 AM »
Anyone tried this WWIIOL ?

Input anyone ?

Phil / OPP7755

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Re: WWIIOL ? Anyone tried this game ?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 04:17:30 AM »
I tried it years and years ago. Didn't seem to be for me.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 05:19:17 AM »
Oh I played it years ago when it came out. Cutting edge graphics and gameplay! Totally owns AH in EVERY way and it also comes with an extra bonus of maybe having your hard drive erased! Who can resist that!  :rolleyes:

All kidding aside WW2OL is an ok game but for ground war only. The airwar used to suck when I played and from what I understand it's even worse now. It can be alot of fun if you like tanking but get ready to die lots of times to unseen enemies , or enemies  that aren't rendered due to the 64 player onsceen limit.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 05:29:04 AM »
Oh I played it years ago when it came out. Cutting edge graphics and gameplay! Totally owns AH in EVERY way and it also comes with an extra bonus of maybe having your hard drive erased! Who can resist that!  :rolleyes:

All kidding aside WW2OL is an ok game but for ground war only. The airwar used to suck when I played and from what I understand it's even worse now. It can be alot of fun if you like tanking but get ready to die lots of times to unseen enemies , or enemies  that aren't rendered due to the 64 player onsceen limit.

Pretty much agree.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 06:27:19 AM »
Played it for a year or two taking a break from AH.

Ground war is awesome.

Air war blows chunks, it has a terrible flight model (P-38s can hover and fly backwards). Visibility is a shocker. View positions suck.

Topped off by some developers with ego and honesty issues.

Best bet is to try for yourself, if you do get with a good squad, it makes a world of difference.

Offline MrMeanie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 06:39:57 AM »
its not worth 14.99... like beefcake said you will die alot from them you cant see.. i played for 3years then quit cause i seen AH2 and it Had a better Sim..
71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 06:52:30 AM »
I think you have to have a really high end system to play it too. I tried to play on my '05 system, I was warping big time.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 07:46:05 AM »
I just got an invite for 2 months tryout. Flying is not for me there but ground action is interesting. It is just too difficult... But I keep trying.  :D
I am a spy!

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 08:06:39 AM »
  Ya picture yourself on a beautiful landscape, with tanks rolling toward you and suddenly you are dead because the enemy soldier that was beside you didnt get drawn in.

~AoM~

Offline Kotari

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 08:09:09 AM »
I played ww2ol before discovering this fine game, and i left because of the flying part.
I believe i do not need to explain it further.

Ground war is very interesting, when you keep in mind to keep it as ground war simulation and try to keep attitude "worst fps game ever" away.
The game itself has a lot of flaws, wrong modeling and bugs but it is still very enjoyable with a good crew.
So basically, if you are in a squad there, it´s a nice game to spend to hours end.
I still try it occasionally, maybe in a (false?) hope that worst of the issues would have disappeared.
Ohh yea and i do concur, that one particular company dude seriously is in a wrong position at customer front, they should sack him asap and alot of players would possibly return :D
-=Die Rammjäger VIII=-
Lentolaivue 34

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults"

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 10:47:01 AM »
I started in beta times and still play it, not nonstop, sometimes pausing 1-2 month or even more.
IMHO its a very difficult "steep learning curve" Sim, but very unique. If you are willing to spend some timer you can become good, maybe ;)
I dont agree with most here, i do like the Airwar part there. There are some really good sticks flying there, very
challenging and hard to survive, and i'm not a bad stick! ;)
But try the differnet Airplanes offline, fly some aerobatics, if you can master them and dont crash nonstop you are
ready, maybe ;)
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »
Played it from early beta to about a year after the release. The flight portion was absolutely top notch in the beginning and progressively went downhill in my opinion the closer they got to release. I tried it again after a couple of years break and it was the same but with the addition of a few new planes. I liked the ground war and usually tried to find a place with a few squaddies to go and fight under the 64 player limit so we could see who was coming over the hills and through the woods but they tended to get mucked up after a little while if one side started making a big push and got a point or two controlled. Then it was time to bail out and go somewhere else.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 02:41:09 PM »
Best quote ever associated with WWIIOL-

"Will there be snipers?"

Kind of an inside joke...
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Harp00n

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 03:14:41 PM »
If you´ve played WW2Online for some years (2001-2006 for me) you´ll really appreciate what Pyro and his Crew have achieved with AH. A Online sim that is not riddled with gamestopper-bugs, a**hole-devs in denial-mode, subpar-grafics/performance, stupid micro-management etc...

Former ww2onliners will know what I mean  :noid

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 03:20:34 PM »
I tried it for a month, liked some parts of it. If you want a game where the goal is to figure out what bush the enemy is hiding in then WWII Online is the game for you! Though I did like it when the battles got into the cities.  :)