Author Topic: Commissioning of USS George Herbert Walker Bush Today - Link to Video  (Read 1066 times)

Offline TwinEng

• Copper Member
Did anyone else watch the awesome commissioning ceremony earlier today for CVN-77, the last of the US Navy's Nimitz class carriers?   It was quite an awesome spectacle.   None of the major news organizations even bothered to cover it, sadly.   I sometimes wonder about the priorities of our big news networks.  But C-SPAN fortunately televised the full ceremony live.

The ship was named the USS George Herbert Walker Bush, after the 41st President of the United States, and father of our nation's current President.   Although he is now 84 1/2 years old, George H. W. Bush attended, and spoke, along with numerous other distinguished guests.

Many do not know that George H. W. Bush became the youngest US Naval Aviator in history at the young age of only 18 back in 1943.  He served on the aircraft carrier USS San Jacinto, which was named after the decisive military victory that won Texas its independence from Mexico.   He flew a total of 58 combat missions, including several turning the great Battle of the Philippines Sea, which pretty much finished off the Japanese Navy.  Bush flew a TBM Avenger, and was considered to be a skilled pilot in both bombing and torpedoing.   In fact, at the very end of the war, he became an instructor, his flying skills were so good.

Bush was part of an attack on the Japanese base on the island of Chichijima on Sept 2, 1944.  During the attack on the base, his Avenger was hit multiple times by enemy anti-aircraft fire.  Despite the damage, Bush pressed his attack, and delivered all of his bombs on target.   With the engine of his TBM Avenger engulfed in flames, Bush managed to fly out 6 miles to sea, before the crew had to bail.   One crewman was injured, and died during the bailout.   Another one managed to bail, but quickly drowned.  Bush survived in the open ocean for 4 hours, as fighters from the San Jacinto took turns flying over his position to protect him from being captured or strafed by the Japanese.   Finally, the US Navy submarine USS Finback miraculously managed to locate Bush, and rescued him.   For his bravery in combat, Bush was award the Distinguished Flying Cross at the end of the war.

The ceremony itself was very elaborate, and quite steeped in history.  It was both fascinating and educational to watch.  Very impressive at many points too, such as when the crew was ordered aboard, and they all go running up multiple gangplanks into the ship.   And boy, when the ship sounded its horn, you sure as heck heard it!!

At the end of the ceremony two F-18 Hornets did a fly over.   And then, out of respect for President Bush's war service, a authentic still flying TBM Avenger did a fly over too.   That was really icing on the cake, to see that old warbird in the air!!!    :D

This massive ship took an amazing 7 years to build, and cost US Taxpayers $6.2 Billion dollars.   Was it worth it?   You can visit the ship's website to determine that for yourself, here:

http://www.nn.northropgrumman.com/bush/index.html

If you want to view this very moving commissioning ceremony yourself, it can be viewed on the C-SPAN website on this web page:

http://www.cspan.org/Watch/watch.aspx?MediaId=HP-R-14162

The ceremony is an hour and a half long, but well worth viewing, especially if you are a military and history buff.

Here is a photo of the ship being built:

Here is an interesting photo of two of its immense propellers:

Here is a photo of the ship during a training operation to Hawaii:

And here is a recent photo of her, now loaded with combat aircraft:

Now the ship is fully combat ready and operational, and prepared to defend our nation.   Should America's enemies be afraid of her???

The USS George Herbert Walker Bush follows CVN-76, the USS Ronald Reagan.   The Navy has also named a submarine ( SSN-23 ) after President President James Carter.   And just last year the Navy announced that the next US Carrier will be named after President Gerald Ford.

Offline jerkins

• Nickel Member
Re: Commissioning of USS George Herbert Walker Bush Today - Link to Video
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 09:11:12 PM »
IIRC the next US carrier will not have steam powered catapults.  The catapults will be electromagnetic, which is far more powerful than the steam.
Jerkins
Strike Bandits
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 10:44:16 PM »
IIRC the next US carrier will not have steam powered catapults.  The catapults will be electromagnetic, which is far more powerful than the steam.
Maybe even an electric tatter gun. :aok    Almost forgot cool find... ty for sharing.
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 10:53:48 PM »
Very cool, even though I don't think much of the current Bush I have alot of respect for the old man.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline TwinEng

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 12:05:56 AM »
Very cool, even though I don't think much of the current Bush I have alot of respect for the old man.

I am rather doubtful myself that either the current President Bush or President Clinton will get a Navy ship named after them.

Only time will tell, though.

Bush Senior was truly a real class act.   I have often wondered what sort of President Michael Dukakis would have made?   How would he have reacted to Saddam's invasion of Kuwait???

Would he have led our armed forces to victory??

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 12:25:04 AM »
Unfortunately we should tone it down a little, getting dangerously close to politics.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline TwinEng

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 12:26:26 AM »
Here is another cool photo, showing the future President at age 19, in the cockpit of his TBM Avenger while it is on the deck of the USS San Jacinto:

And here is a photo of a squadron of Avengers in the air:

And here is a photo of the light carrier San Jacinto, that Bush served on:

And here is a photo of the current USS San Jacinto that is now serving in the US Navy.   It is a fast light missile cruiser:

Offline TwinEng

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 12:36:45 AM »
Unfortunately we should tone it down a little, getting dangerously close to politics.

Sorry, I did not mean to offend anyone who voted for Michael Dukakis.

However, the 1988 election is really more history now, than anything else.

Sort of hard for me to believe that it has been 20 years now since Ronald Reagan was our President.   How fast time flies, and things change.

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 02:49:08 AM »
thanks for sharing...I miss being on flat tops... now they have 3 arresting cables instead of 4... :salute
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline airbumba

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 03:57:24 AM »
imagine what we could build as a people when it would have nothing to do with war, and conflict?

Hehe, just kidding, build more boats.
I used to be a fatalist,
but that part of me died.

Offline Flash

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 09:11:28 AM »
Did anyone else watch the awesome commissioning ceremony earlier today for CVN-77, the last of the US Navy's Nimitz class carriers?   It was quite an awesome spectacle.   None of the major news organizations even bothered to cover it, sadly.   I sometimes wonder about the priorities of our big news networks.  But C-SPAN fortunately televised the full ceremony live.

I saw it on Fox News. Made me feel proud.

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 10:16:57 AM »
Now the ship is fully combat ready and operational, and prepared to defend our nation.   

Not so fast, She has not been through Sea Trials and still has many other Qualifications needed before she is Fully Combat Ready and Operational.

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 11:14:15 AM »
  Thanks for the Photos and History of a good Man who served this country with Honor for many years. 6-7 Billion is a drop in the bucket compared to what we wasted on Wall Street. Oopps was that Politics? I'll slap myself  :eek:
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline CAVPFCDD

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 11:27:07 AM »
Did anyone else watch the awesome commissioning ceremony earlier today for CVN-77, the last of the US Navy's Nimitz class carriers?   It was quite an awesome spectacle.   None of the major news organizations even bothered to cover it, sadly.   I sometimes wonder about the priorities of our big news networks.  But C-SPAN fortunately televised the full ceremony live.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/10/bush.ship.commissioning/index.html   on cnn.com's US news page today....
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace." - Duane Allman

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." Jerry Garcia