Author Topic: Why are they leaving?  (Read 9532 times)

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
Re: Why are they leaving?
« Reply #225 on: January 16, 2009, 12:44:55 AM »
Well said Animl.

asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #226 on: January 16, 2009, 12:56:20 AM »
   Good post Animl. Another suggestion...maybe it would be a good time to shuffle up the teams we play on. Play with guys you are normally fighting. IDs over time can be a bad memory. Hearing that ID's voice and flying with them is like a salve.

~AoM~

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #227 on: January 16, 2009, 01:21:06 AM »
Posts as long as Animls I never read. But I read every word of that one, and glad i did. Thanks, I needed that.  :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #228 on: January 16, 2009, 01:37:39 AM »
If you like the game then stay and lead by example.

Hi Animl...LTNS.

I argue that the current environment hampers self policing and leading by example.  Guys that cannot manage to average one whole kill for every death run their mouths like they are the hottest **** in the game.  I've watched players who are not only among the best sticks in the game, but also give of their time in events and helping people completely disrespected on channel by a bunch of tardlings, or mass reported.  Not that they couldn't handle themselves in a verbal joust, but I see stuff we would never have dreamed of years ago, because you'd have been made a community outcast for pulling much of the crap I see.  There is a sub-culture where the players are completely clueless of how incompetent they are in what we consider "skills", have no concept that AH is primarily a combat simulator over a war game, and at the same time are among the most arrogant players in the game.  The anonymity level is high enough during peak that I don't see leading by example as being an effective option.  This one is funny...but also, not...The anonymity level is so high that I've been told about once a month for the last six months to "go to the TA" by some tardling who can't post a whole number in k/d or k/s.

This prevailing attitude shows through in gameplay environment.  A lot of the gameplay people complain about are valid tactics under a given set of circumstances.  I do not believe they should be "eliminated" in any way.  But at the same time those "issues" should not be the ONLY trick in so many players bags.  Yet they are, and that's why the complaints are so prevailant.

I'd like to see a change in the environment structure so that 95% of the playerbase is not swimming in the same cesspool.  The arena split two years ago was supposed to do that, but in my opinion the existence of open planeset arenas prevent it from being effective.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #229 on: January 16, 2009, 01:46:08 AM »
I agree that Animl's post was good.

I posted this once upon a time in the Help and Training forum:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,217767.0.html

Initially, I was surprised by the responses.  Today I'm surprised at the number of times it's been read.  I did this truely from my heart late one night.  I think that other "vets" need to do something similar from time to time if we want to guide new players to be worthy opponents.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #230 on: January 16, 2009, 02:41:57 AM »
Hi Animl...LTNS.

I argue that the current environment hampers self policing and leading by example.  Guys that cannot manage to average one whole kill for every death run their mouths like they are the hottest **** in the game.  I've watched players who are not only among the best sticks in the game, but also give of their time in events and helping people completely disrespected on channel by a bunch of tardlings, or mass reported.  Not that they couldn't handle themselves in a verbal joust, but I see stuff we would never have dreamed of years ago, because you'd have been made a community outcast for pulling much of the crap I see.  There is a sub-culture where the players are completely clueless of how incompetent they are in what we consider "skills", have no concept that AH is primarily a combat simulator over a war game, and at the same time are among the most arrogant players in the game.  The anonymity level is high enough during peak that I don't see leading by example as being an effective option.  This one is funny...but also, not...The anonymity level is so high that I've been told about once a month for the last six months to "go to the TA" by some tardling who can't post a whole number in k/d or k/s.

This prevailing attitude shows through in gameplay environment.  A lot of the gameplay people complain about are valid tactics under a given set of circumstances.  I do not believe they should be "eliminated" in any way.  But at the same time those "issues" should not be the ONLY trick in so many players bags.  Yet they are, and that's why the complaints are so prevailant.

I'd like to see a change in the environment structure so that 95% of the playerbase is not swimming in the same cesspool.  The arena split two years ago was supposed to do that, but in my opinion the existence of open planeset arenas prevent it from being effective.

I agree. I like to talk some smack on 200 as we all know, I actually need to do it a bit to get in the mood to kill people. I'm naturally a very non-violent person in real life, so I have to incite some emotional intensity to get myself frisky. When someone I recently killed starts poking me with a stick, the first thing I do is look at their sheet. I don't look at their "RANK" I look at their "STATS". And I don't just look at their fighter stats either. I look at attack sorties too as most like to put their "vulch-fest with a perk ride" hops in the fighter category and their normal, average hops in the attack category, so attack sorties are quite often a better representation of a person's effectiveness.

If the person poking me with a stick has 4 kills in 500 hops a 1% hit % and 1 kill every 2 hrs, they get called on it in hall of shame fashion, then publicly advised to zip it pending them getting a clue. However, if a person has 300 kills in 75 hops, a 10% hit % and 7 kills/hr they get to play smack-warrior with me and it's all fun, they deserve to be there yak'ing it up.

Some people like to say things like, "Zazen, don't be mean" or "Rank means nothing". Well, first of all it has has nothing to do with rank, it's just a simple matter of being effective, either you can seal the deal vs. enemy fighters in the MA or you can't. If you can't, you need to zip it, watch and learn. If you can then I don't need to explain this to you, because you're already there and know what I am talking about. I seriously don't care how fabulous you are in the DA jerking your dweebfire around 1 vs 1 at 5k. If you can only cash it in for 4 kills in 500 hops in the MA, you're of no use to me, yourself or anyone else in the MA and you certainly shouldn't be poking people with a stick who are effective, practice humility and you will learn faster.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 03:02:55 AM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #231 on: January 16, 2009, 04:28:15 AM »
The game is dead guys, To me it doesn't really represent what WW11 air combat was about anymore.
I have been playing since AH1 and gameplay is in a downward spiral.

As it is now, it appeals more to the Xbox and nintendo players.

I have been keeping myself away from playing this game, The Main Arena's make no sense to me.
That's just defeatist.  This sort of attitude is as bad as what it denounces.  The game is fine.  It's the same game that was such a thrill on day 1, or even better if you consider the additions since then. Yes, there's been setbacks in development, but poop happens.  The devs have the right intentions and are good at what they do. Things aren't looking down in that respect.
The problem is the flux of new players in and old ones out.  The culture that brought out the best of the game is diluted by the new players who don't know about it, somehow don't get it, don't care about, or some combination of those types of perspectives.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 04:29:50 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #232 on: January 16, 2009, 10:57:52 AM »
Maybe a " changing of the guard " point been reached, I don't know. In the end, this game is like anything in life, it's what you make of it.  If you already got it in your head that the game has down hill, then for you it has...For me, when I quit my squad last year..I had reached point where I wasn't having fun and I was deploying anyways so I left..My solo career ended after a day and I joined the squad I am currently. Not being a CO and a being just player I started to have fun again. I don't moniitor 200(helps me out alot). This game is still fun and there still some experinced players  left that make it that way ie.. Lynx, Murdr, Baldeagl,Animl..etc.. I don't have any problems asking someone from another squad or even another country for help...sometimes squaddies cant offer destructive critism....( I said destructive...trust me..it works for me).. :salute
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #233 on: January 16, 2009, 01:30:44 PM »
I'm sorry if I wasted your time with this. Maybe I shouldn't have posted this. But IMO, these are things that MAY need to be said. And maybe I'm just still just a village idiot. <shrug>

So lets pull up our pants, act like the Vikings we are and do something about this. Those who left will be over-joyed to return, help them pull the line that makes the sim,...a sim. It takes a special person to be a simmer, any moron can be a gamer.

That is all,...beat me as you feel you should.

#1 rule = Fun First. Supreme skill is an added bonus.
#2 rule = Arenas are just for practice.
<S>
Animl

Good post man.. I keep popping back in the forums hoping things have changed.. I always liked this sim, but hated the direction the community had gone in. Out of all the posts I've read since I stopped flying your post is the one that makes me miss the game the most.

As for your suggestions, I would love to see a full realism server.. That would defiantly get me back at the stick.

:salute

who knows, maybe I have a 2 weeker stint coming soon.
"strafing"

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #234 on: January 16, 2009, 05:21:15 PM »
I find it odd in a thread about how gameplay has deteriorated partially due to stats and score, that stats and score are then turned around by some vets and used as a measuring stick for whether or not you can say anything in game.  My "Sheet" is terrible but after 13 years, with granted limited time to fly lately, if someone deserves a poking their gonna get it.  Pick a better example and get the emphasis off score and back onto the details of the fight.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 08:15:19 PM by Hungry »
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #235 on: January 16, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »
Personally I think the game has gotten better and better in the last 1 to 2 years Ive been in it. Better planes, better vehicles, WS support, better training assets. The squads Ive either flown in, or with, have all been great. I think HiTech has done a remarkable job of getting a crew together to design a game both challenging enough to play in for many years, but also easy enough for noobs to get up to speed quickly.

I'm always telling noobs to get with a trainer because the training machine in AH is a strong one as long as its used. A new player can get up to speed fairly quickly.

No names mentioned but I remember one rook we had who was a good guy, I liked flying with him, but he could be a bit miserable and condescending too. Anyway one day , oh about 6 months ago, we were in a big furball and I head a big "whoosh" go by. It was a Temp going about warp factor 9 that nobody saw and killed this guy with the cannon. This player must have been in his 50s or 60s and you should have heard him go off screaming bloody murder because the "rest of us" never gave him a check 6. And that was it. The last I ever heard from him and I never saw him in the game again on any side. And this was a long time very skilled player.

I remember thinking if a supposed adult got that upset over his little cartoon cyber airplane getting shot up then maybe he has other issues in his life and the game is just the thing he blames. We've all know those kinda people that couldn't have a positive thought if their life depended on it right? But if anyone thinks that problems in an internet game matter a whole lot then maybe they should go take a walk thru a childrens cancer ward sometime. I myself dont think its that important no matter how many times ADD 14yos HO and ram me.

Maybe one day I'll just be bored with it, tho I doubt it. As it stands I think this is a great game and just getting better all the time.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 07:47:32 PM by Rich46yo »
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
« Reply #236 on: January 16, 2009, 08:27:26 PM »
Personally I think the game has gotten better and better in the last 1 to 2 years Ive been in it. Better planes, better vehicles, WS support, better training assets. The squads Ive either flown in, or with, have all been great. I think HiTech has done a remarkable job of getting a crew together to design a game both challenging enough to play in for many years, but also easy enough for noobs to get up to speed quickly.

I'm always telling noobs to get with a trainer because the training machine in AH is a strong one as long as its used. A new player can get up to speed fairly quickly.

No names mentioned but I remember one rook we had who was a good guy, I liked flying with him, but he could be a bit miserable and condescending too. Anyway one day , oh about 6 months ago, we were in a big furball and I head a big "whoosh" go by. It was a Temp going about warp factor 9 that nobody saw and killed this guy with the cannon. This player must have been in his 50s or 60s and you should have heard him go off screaming bloody murder because the "rest of us" never gave him a check 6. And that was it. The last I ever heard from him and I never saw him in the game again on any side. And this was a long time very skilled player.

I remember thinking if a supposed adult got that upset over his little cartoon cyber airplane getting shot up then maybe he has other issues in his life and the game is just the thing he blames. We've all know those kinda people that couldn't have a positive thought if their life depended on it right? But if anyone thinks that problems in an internet game matter a whole lot then maybe they should go take a walk thru a childrens cancer ward sometime. I myself dont think its that important no matter how many times ADD 14yos HO and ram me.

Maybe one day I'll just be bored with it, tho I doubt it. As it stands I think this is a great game and just getting better all the time.
Animl (from the ashes of Air Warrior nation) http://home.comcast.net/~animl/

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #237 on: January 16, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
yaa.
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
« Reply #238 on: January 16, 2009, 10:20:50 PM »
Oopsed
Animl (from the ashes of Air Warrior nation) http://home.comcast.net/~animl/

Offline skullman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #239 on: January 17, 2009, 03:04:26 AM »
Ive been here a few years now an I just dont get it why so much whining goes on.Your here to have fun and thats it.when you lose the fun maybe it is time to leave.Man if I cried eveytime some 10 yr old killed me that is all I could do.big deal grab another cartoon vehicle an do it again.My  squaddies is what I look forward to.teaming up doing missions or alliance missions.you will not gain anything that relates to real worldsituations.a high rank an a dollar will get ya a cup of coffee.
been there destroyed that