Author Topic: Arena split  (Read 2363 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Re: Arena split
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 02:56:45 PM »
Figure out what keeps people out of the AvA first.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 02:59:44 PM »
I like the idea of theaters.
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 03:01:47 PM »
The whole idea I believe is to move away from the perk planes I believe.

I can't speak for BaldEgl, but my thinking was to provide a multiple arena environment (each arena having its own distinct personality), where pyro's stated concept of a community of smaller neighborhoods could actually thrive...as opposed to what we have now.

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 03:04:40 PM »
I can't speak for BaldEgl, but my thinking was to provide a multiple arena environment (each arena having its own distinct personality), where pyro's stated concept of a community of smaller neighborhoods could actually thrive...as opposed to what we have now.

Concur. Perk planes would still exist, although different planes could conceivably be perked in different arenas. I could see the 51D having a small perk cost in the PTO for example. Same for the LA-7 in an Eastern Front ETO. It would be a matter of balance for the arena.

Regards,

Hammer
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline ScatterFire

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 03:15:16 PM »
Some would only fly ETO. Some would only fly PTO. Some would rotate through so as to fly all the planes.
Removing squads from the picture....

I see people gravitating to the arenas where most of the rest of the players are.  So if Eastern Front, LW is filling up that is where others will flock to.  So instead of having 2 large arenas full of everyone doing their thing we will have one large arena and several empty ones.

As soon as you then start imposing caps in that arena, someone isn't going to be able to fly their favorite ride and get upset.  And they WILL have caps or a large portion of the player-base will gravitate to one arena because of the herd mentality.

That said, I'm willing to try it :)  But if I can't get into one arena where I can find decent fights and the others are empty I won't have fun.  Its hard enough sometimes now in GVs...
Scatter1:
With bullets of rubber and armor of tissue I throw myself at my enemy.

Law of Devine Intervention:
All skill is in vain when an Angel pees in the touchhole of your musket.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 03:20:01 PM »
I see people gravitating to the arenas where most of the rest of the players are.  So if Eastern Front, LW is filling up that is where others will flock to.  So instead of having 2 large arenas full of everyone doing their thing we will have one large arena and several empty ones.

I suppose that is a possibility, but having witnessed this type of setup where open planeset was not an option, in action over a 5 year period, that was not the case.  Some were consistantly more popular than others, but theaters each had a respectable following.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 03:22:16 PM by Murdr »

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 03:20:35 PM »
Removing squads from the picture....

I don't believe anything will remove squads from the pictures. People will gravitate to squads who do the same things they want to do, just like now.

As soon as you then start imposing caps in that arena, someone isn't going to be able to fly their favorite ride and get upset.  And they WILL have caps or a large portion of the player-base will gravitate to one arena because of the herd mentality.

We can speculate all we want about what we think will happen but...

That said, I'm willing to try it

...we won't know until we try it! I think we can say the period based arenas are a failure overall. Yes, there are some who fly there, but not many when it comes down to it. Let's give something else a try. If it doesn't work, we can switch back.

Regards,

Hammer
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 03:22:55 PM by hammer »
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 03:23:09 PM »

I'm sure someone will say I want to fight Zekes in 190's.  Well, you could still do that in the TA or the DA.

I'm not sure I really see a downside to this.  Plus it should be a marketing ploy for HT...  MMOG in seven period and front specific arenas...

Your thoughts?

I do see nothing but downsides. Effectively you would take many things away while effectively not adding some.  Why shouldn't I'll be able to fight A6M vs 190A5 or P-51 vs La-7 when theres still Spit vs P-51 or even another Spit possible? It's certainly not more realistic in any way. It doesn't even really add a distinct  "Theater" flair when there's still same vs. same fights. It just gives a player less options but adds nothing like immersion or so.
So I also don't see the marketing value... people read about "fly in Pacific or European Theatre" and then they see just the same stuff our LW MA's already have...

The only thing that would add something are split sides.. kinda AvA.. but then, it's about impossible with the current planeset.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 03:24:49 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 03:25:45 PM »
I think we can say the period based arenas are a failure overall. Yes, there are some who fly there, but not many when it comes down to it. Let's give something else a try. If it doesn't work, we can switch back.

Regards,

Hammer

I think the state of EW and MW are crippled by the choices being (a few planes)/(a few more planes)/(all planes available).  Either period might be able to stand if the last option was removed.  Personally, I'd like to find out.

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 03:28:56 PM »
I do see nothing but downsides. Effectively you would take many things away while effectively not adding some.  Why shouldn't I'll be able to fight A6M vs 190A5 or P-51 vs La-7 when theres still Spit vs P-51 or even another Spit possible? It's certainly not more realistic in any way. It doesn't even really add a distinct  "Theater" flair when there's still same vs. same fights. It just gives a player less options but adds nothing like immersion or so.
So I also don't see the marketing value... people read about "fly in Pacific or European Theatre" and then they see just the same stuff our LW MA's already have...

Having flown in a setup like this before for several years, I can tell you the theater specific arenas DO have a distinct theater flair about them. Part of it may have been the maps - no ocean maps or carrier groups for the ETO theaters, lots of water for the PTO theaters, but the distinction was there and I always looked forward to the uniqueness of each.

Regards,

Hammer
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 03:31:23 PM »
I think the state of EW and MW are crippled by the choices being (a few planes)/(a few more planes)/(all planes available).  Either period might be able to stand if the last option was removed.  Personally, I'd like to find out.

We didn't have all planes available in LW from start. The already migrated from EW to LW when the EW rides were made available in LW again.

IMHO, EW suffers most from having absolutely dominating Hurricane IIC with no perk and ENY 10, and some gameplay issues & imbalances. Ironically, splitting the score between arenas was the last big negative impact on EW gameplay, much more than I would have ever believed.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 03:36:30 PM »
Having flown in a setup like this before for several years, I can tell you the theater specific arenas DO have a distinct theater flair about them. Part of it may have been the maps - no ocean maps or carrier groups for the ETO theaters, lots of water for the PTO theaters, but the distinction was there and I always looked forward to the uniqueness of each.

Regards,

Hammer

Having a nice tropical island with 190A's hunting A6Ms is not less "realistic" or has no less "Theater feel" to me as a tropical island with P-51 shooting down waves of P-38 and P-47 jabos. I have no problem with introducing different arenas with different maps.. but please not with taking away certain planes - unless you do it right and really limit the planes to the correct side.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 03:40:52 PM »
I have no problem with introducing different arenas with different maps.. but please not with taking away certain planes - unless you do it right and really limit the planes to the correct side.

I like the idea, but definitely agree with Lusche's slant on this.  The limitation of the planes to a given side is what would give each proposed theater it's unique feel.  Otherwise it is just a neat new late war arena map.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 03:45:08 PM »
  Otherwise it is just a neat new late war arena map.

Which would still be highly welcome by me. A bit more diversity in terrain instead of the same kind of countryside  on every map :)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2009, 03:53:44 PM »
Having a nice tropical island with 190A's hunting A6Ms is not less "realistic" or has no less "Theater feel" to me as a tropical island with P-51 shooting down waves of P-38 and P-47 jabos. I have no problem with introducing different arenas with different maps.. but please not with taking away certain planes - unless you do it right and really limit the planes to the correct side.

I see the P-51s dieing alot to my 38... but whatever...  :P

Some nice palm trees would be excellent.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)