Author Topic: WWIIOL ? Anyone tried this game ?  (Read 3082 times)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Re: WWIIOL ? Anyone tried this game ?
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2009, 06:46:09 PM »
Mobile spawns are too close and without limits and can be set up all around the city.

The mobile spawns are somewhat annoying for AT-guns. Can't really get anywhere when there's a spawn around - your best option is to crawl in the bushes and listen to the screams of squished enemies every once in a while. Once I killed like a dozen enemy infantry just by strolling out of the town with an ATG along the bushes and proceeded to take out couple of tanks along with the mobile spawn that was irritating me.

Not like there's use for AT-guns, unless it's one of the few areas without cover. Sappers are the way to go, much more effective than AT-guns; move around faster, smaller, can chase infantry, can chase mobile spawns, can take out tanks without wondering will it penetrate and so on forth. Sappers are too fast with great endurance and most of my rides in a tank are more endangered by sappers above anything else - whether it'd be 100m from town or 5km into middle of nowhere.

Though, I haven't played it for quite some time, but I don't think anything's changed. Other than that they favor allies even more than before with modelling and tier choices. One ally plane is flying faster than in any existing test other than manufacturers advertising leaflet and a 109 is flying with a derated engine (captured equipment is not really the best source for full performance evaluation!).

Tango,

Nothing wrong with the backwards shooting MP40/Luger, there's always bugs in games, but the attitude towards the reports was awful; "there's nothing wrong, I've even tested it myself".
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 06:47:59 PM by Fishu »

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
      • http://www.simpilots.org/
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2009, 07:11:26 PM »
Tango,

Nothing wrong with the backwards shooting MP40/Luger, there's always bugs in games, but the attitude towards the reports was awful; "there's nothing wrong, I've even tested it myself".

Sure, all games have a bug or two that needs to get fixed, but it sure is funny how they have all those Beta testers that couldn't even figure out it was shooting that way BEFORE releaseing it into the live server.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks
Historical Air Combat Group

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2009, 08:20:19 PM »
when it comes to effectiveness in AT then yes, sappers and british grenadiers are better than AT guns because they can hide and move faster.

On the other hand, if you have someone to tow your ATG (or a 2nd account to tow it), an ATG is exponentially more powerful.

a 6lbr or even a 2qf gun with a towing truck can kill things from 1.5km away with ease ..its all in where you aim and how you shoot. The problem you see in WW2OL is too many people thinking that just because they see tank and fire at tank and hit tank that they should kill the tank.

Too many clueless AT gunners fire endlessly at the front of the heavy tanks ... whereas the very,very few clued AT gunners get towed 2km out of town, hide and hit them from the side and rear and get 1-shot kills.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2009, 09:47:50 PM »
I hear it sucks.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2009, 04:49:15 AM »
Sure, all games have a bug or two that needs to get fixed, but it sure is funny how they have all those Beta testers that couldn't even figure out it was shooting that way BEFORE releaseing it into the live server.

What makes you say they didn't....

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2009, 04:55:42 AM »
On the other hand, if you have someone to tow your ATG (or a 2nd account to tow it), an ATG is exponentially more powerful.

a 6lbr or even a 2qf gun with a towing truck can kill things from 1.5km away with ease ..its all in where you aim and how you shoot. The problem you see in WW2OL is too many people thinking that just because they see tank and fire at tank and hit tank that they should kill the tank.

Should they get outside of the town and should they not run across with a mobile spawn near by. And should you be able to see up to 1.5km.

Eitherway, ATG is a more valid option for the allies than the germans. 6pdr can penetrate any and all german tanks from any side, unlike german ATGs. Pak36 is useless compared to sapper. Pak38 can't realy penetrate sherman or churchill from the front, PaK40 can't penetrate the latter from the front. 6pdr.. well, I must say I've enjoyed the gun, nothing like popping a tiger at 200m frontally.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2009, 01:41:26 PM »
Oh and cheating. Used to come across wall and speed hackers on a weekly basis (sometimes the wall hacks were a glitch in the code with certain video cards that disabled all ground clutter/trees). I remember one particular player was video's/screenshotted/etc by people on BOTH sides, evidence was sent to crs and he was still happily playing the next day.

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2009, 08:02:53 PM »
6pdr.. well, I must say I've enjoyed the gun, nothing like popping a tiger at 200m frontally.

6pounder shouldn't even be able to kill a Tiger from the front, even at point blank range.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks

Offline CJ nitro

• Zinc Member
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
can you use trackir in the game yet? I used to be on the game with the 31st wrecking crew. Was alot of fun until the invisible people showed up because they weren't drawn on your screen. The tank side of the game was great. The air side left alot to be desired. What is it now, you have to join a squad and have a missuion to do anything in the game? i was really thinking of going back to try it out again. Do you still have limited things to do until gained rank?

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2009, 10:20:31 PM »
I did a mission with you Wrecking Crew guys. It was a blast with all those tanks and trucks making a run on that airfield . Of course that was way before AOs and Mobile spawns ruined the game.

Tango78
78th Razorbacks

Offline CJ nitro

• Zinc Member
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2009, 02:48:10 AM »
Yeah I was playing back when it was still free until the ao stuff came into the game. Thinking of leaving ah for obvious reasons but found trackir not supported in ww2ol. Just looking for something more realistic with as many players as ah now. Moxin was fun with the 31st.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2009, 02:50:12 AM »
There's trackir support but it's not that great. I used my VR headset for a while but the head tracking was slow and ww2ol doesn't do stereo 3d right.

<-- rolled with 3rd Panzer under Dinker ( :P )

Offline CJ nitro

• Zinc Member
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2009, 02:57:26 AM »
Has the flight model improved or is it still like star wars lasers? Going to do the 2 weeker thing tomorrow to see.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2009, 08:54:51 AM »
6pounder shouldn't even be able to kill a Tiger from the front, even at point blank range.

6pdr can do that from close range. From 500 meters it's capalbe of penetrating 81-83mm of armor at 30 degree angle. At closer range against almost vertical armor it's barely capable of penetrating it. Although in WWIIOL it does penetrate a bit more than historically.