Author Topic: Why does a single C47 rebuild HQ,but 7 are required for rebuilding town?  (Read 548 times)

Offline lemur

• Zinc Member
Why does a single C47 rebuild HQ,but 7 are required for rebuilding town?
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2001, 06:13:00 PM »
I sort of like some of these ideas  :)

I think two things are evident:

Once the crates are dropped, or the train pulls into the station the buildings STILL come back too fast.

Interdiction of supplies needs to be more 'predicatable' (read as 'preventable')

Back in (cough) that other game they had options for what cargo you were bringing to a field. You could fly in fuel, ammo or cargo (Cargo simply repaired buildings)

And while they did have the concept of auto-resupply of fields, where the fields got resupplied by drones (gooneys in this case) the drones didn't start heading out until the target was damaged.

So we could have the trains only leave a depot when a field was damaged, but I worry this will take far too long. If the trip from a depot only takes 30 minutes, then I'd say this is okay. But anything more...

Also, it's not quite right that fields / HQ come up instantly when supplies are dropped. So here's an alternate:

All fields have 'supplies' of 100% (based on the health of the town AND outlying warehouses (new structure, these are placed around a field / HQ just like towns)

Regrow rate is set to 15 minutes * the supplies on hand. Dropping supplies
a) regrows the town / warehouses instantly
b) allows for EXTRA supplies to be built up (max 400%) and extra warehouses appear.
c) These warehouses CAN be bombed reducing the extra supplies on hand.
d) Extra supplies get used up to repair damage until the 100% base is reached. Supplies never go below 100% when used to build stuff.
e) Extra supplies get used up over time (this means keeping a field over supplied takes constant work)

And you'll note, having 400% supplies only means the field will regrow in 4 minutes.
(and it'll use up some of these supplies in the process )

And it gives the attackers a chance to kill the warehouses and slow down the building process.

But it also gives the defenders a chance to 'shore up' a field if they know it's going to be attacked soon.

Mind you, to balance this out, convoys should carry more than 100% supplies.
When the train pulls in the station, expect the field supplies to be bumped to 200%

This gives the attackers only about 7 minutes to take out the town / supplies before the field grows back and the supplies are back at their default 100%

And if the town / supply warehouse can be completely destoyed (and kept that way) the field will *never* repair.

Just a thought.

~Lemur

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2001, 10:49:00 AM »
As a 'quick fix' for the HQ resupply thing, I suggest allowing the first goon in to bring back the radar sector counters. After that, it could require 6 more goons to get the radar completely back up. This idea isn't a real solution to the problem, merely a way to 'fix' it until HT has time to churn out a more complete one.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2001, 11:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Furious:
I think we should drop 1 crate and 5 CeeBee's.  Whichever building they land closest to is the one they start working on.  

Make it so that CeeBee's do 4% repair a minute each.  If all five live, then a completely destroyed building will be at 100% in five minutes, if four live it takes 6 min and so on.

The rates could be increased/decreased to adjust length of time to rebuild that suits the arena most.

F.

make em SeaBees and I second the idea  :)

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2001, 12:51:00 PM »
IMO a good solution would be to have AI builders run around the site being rebuilt instead of instant rebuild after supply drop. Thus we should try to destroy those builders (men or machines) before they do their job... or try to protect them and give them time to rebuild!!!

Each building would take a certain time to get finished. More supply drops would only increase the amount of builders and therefore shorten the rebuild time.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2001, 08:09:00 AM »
IMO a good solution would be to have AI builders run around the site being rebuilt instead of instant rebuild after supply drop. Thus we should try to destroy those builders (men or machines) before they do their job... or try to protect them and give them time to rebuild!!!
[/b]

And then we could jump out of our aircraft using our anti-grav-boots and shoot all the workers with our plasma guns while they were repairing the VH's and FH's. And we could add a weapon called the dominator which has a really cool controllable missile...and.. and we could add shield armor and super charges, and mines and sniper rifles with 32x zoom..wow..

..or we could just keep playing AH instead of Quake