Author Topic: Do you like WW I Air Combat?  (Read 6519 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Do you like WW I Air Combat?
« Reply #150 on: January 25, 2009, 04:02:58 PM »
I get a kick out of folks talking about the Red Baron and the triplane he's kown for. In actuality he scored most of his kills before aquireing the DR1. The DR1 was actually built because sopwith had a triplane on the front lines that was doing well. There were not that many sopwith triplanes built but the few that made it to the lines were doing the job. The fokker DR1 was a poorly built machine. Fokker did not believe in engineering calculations. The DR1 was almost as dangerous for the germans as they were for the brits. They had a terrible problem with the top wing leaving the aircraft.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2009, 04:04:03 PM »
I get a kick out of folks talking about the Red Baron and the triplane he's kown for. In actuality he scored most of his kills before aquireing the DR1. The DR1 was actually built because sopwith had a triplane on the front lines that was doing well. There were not that many sopwith triplanes built but the few that made it to the lines were doing the job. The fokker DR1 was a poorly built machine. Fokker did not believe in engineering calculations. The DR1 was almost as dangerous for the germans as they were for the brits. They had a terrible problem with the top wing leaving the aircraft.

Yeah, but they'd have to include it in the initial release, or the whining would be B-29 to the Nth power.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2009, 04:16:44 PM »

The D-VII would be fun.  I hope that HTC does this.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2009, 04:49:40 PM »
A game like AHII might never be "finished". 

With all the whining that goes on within this forum about squeakers, tool shedders, etc.  I suspect that a WWI game would not have squeaker or tool shedders.  It would have a more pure ACM environment though.

:aok

:rock
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2009, 05:05:30 PM »
I think the top speed there is literally hopelessly far below the 190's stall speed...   :D
Nah, a D.VII could do about 120mph.  Now a DR1 triplane, that is hopeless.  I think it tops out at about 75mph.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
Nah, a D.VII could do about 120mph.  Now a DR1 triplane, that is hopeless.  I think it tops out at about 75mph.

Yes...turns out you are right...."First Eagles" gives the airspeed in knots for some bloody reason. :huh
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline smokey23

• Nickel Member
« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2009, 05:35:43 PM »
HMMMMM how long would it take for you to kill an entire town with a few .30 cal bi-planes... :rofl :rofl :rofl
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 05:47:27 PM by smokey23 »

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2009, 05:40:30 PM »
And 40lb bombs and hand grenades, :)
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #158 on: January 25, 2009, 05:44:41 PM »
HMMMMM how long would it take for you till kill an entire town with a few .30 cal bi-planes... :rofl :rofl :rofl

I doubt this would have a "WIN T3H W0R!!!" involved.   It'd be straight up ACM.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #159 on: January 25, 2009, 05:49:32 PM »
I doubt this would have a "WIN T3H W0R!!!" involved.   It'd be straight up ACM.   
Winning the war with feats of arms kinda goes against the whole WWI theme.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #160 on: January 25, 2009, 06:03:03 PM »
The thing is that the name of this game is Aces High, not WWII.  So technically we could have all era's of aircraft.

It could be a customer base of 20,000 members then.   EEEEEEKKKKK
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #161 on: January 25, 2009, 09:17:06 PM »
This would likely bring me back

Miska aka Vlasov

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #162 on: January 25, 2009, 09:31:10 PM »
Winning the war with feats of arms kinda goes against the whole WWI theme.

Indeed, the very definition of a good battle in the AHII mains is a stalemated quagmire with massive casualties on both sides.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #163 on: January 25, 2009, 10:32:36 PM »
I'd like to get a new terrain with the WWI arena as well. New Terrain, new Arena, and new planes.

Yeah im with you plus I miss a game called Flying corps and it gives AH to attract some players from Red baron 3D and the new terrain might grab some ppl from battleground europe

We need more ppl more planes and above all A WW1 Arena
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #164 on: January 25, 2009, 10:55:14 PM »
Maybe try to balance everything out somewhat as far as
what is available from that era..  Put a progressive perk cost on all the jets except entry level rides that wouldn't fair much better than piston rides..

My parameters would be 1)No missiles, 2)Make a "Jet combat" arena. No jets in our current arenas!
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok