Author Topic: Survey -- your favorite and least favorite scenarios  (Read 28420 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: Survey -- your favorite and least favorite scenarios
« Reply #165 on: September 03, 2010, 04:43:29 PM »
Thanks, Jenks!

Also, many, many thanks to the players (who are the most-important part of scenarios) and the CO's who stepped up, took on the work and responsibility.  <S> to you folks!

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #166 on: September 03, 2010, 04:59:55 PM »
Coral Sea. Swapping sides was neat, gave everybody a taste of the other guys challenges. Very memorable because I happened to shoot my wingman/GL, Fencer down. A clean canopy shot, he never felt a thing. It was his fault BTW. ;)

Was not.  I was shocked you were attempting to shoot down that poor defenseless wildcat who was missing half a wing.  I was just down there to see if he needed help.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
« Reply #167 on: September 03, 2010, 07:02:09 PM »
Have been in many, but Kurland and Stalin's Fourth come to mind. I am not a GV nut by any means, but the fact that the side that realize the importance of the ground war and managed to work with it did better. That it impressed me. I was privy to some of the planning and although I did not have much to add, the dialog was engaging.
I cannot speak for the rank and file, but IIRC the boards tell that they were "less then advertised". That is unfortunate. These have potential as long as the participants understand what is in store and the terrain is not taxing (my problem with Stalin's Forth).

And then there is the 1st running of Coral Sea. Was on the side that figured a few things out and worked to counter them when the sides switched. From the boards i gather it was closer the second time around.
It has at least 2 things to it's advantage. Few 1 ping deaths and the sides start again for Frame 3. I think this is a formula that should be exploited as often as possible. What if BOB (most played so far) was set up as a side switch? I know that there are several that have a dedicated side in this one, but I think that most of them are also dedicated to keeping their chin up as well.

Oh, I was supposed to rate things:
Scenarios +5
FSO +4
Snapshot +3
MA- even money  

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 07:04:05 PM by RSLQK186 »
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #168 on: September 03, 2010, 08:12:41 PM »
Here is how I rate my enjoyment in each:

Tunisia:  Dawn of Battle (April, 2009) +4
Battle of Britain 2008 (November, 2008) +4
Rangoon, '42 (2008) (August, 2008) +4
Der Grosse Schlag (October, 2007) +5
Operation Husky (June, 2007) +3
Battle of Britain 2006 (September, 2006) +4
Operation Downfall (July, 2006) +3
Stalin's Fourth (April, 2006) +5
Fire Over Malta (November, 2005) +4
Coral Sea (April, 2005) +5
Rangoon, '42 (October, 2004) +4
Battle of Britain 2004 (August, 2004) +4

Here's how I'd rate additional ones:

Philippine Phandango (August, 2010) +5
The Final Battle (March, 2010) +3
Red Storm / Krupp Steel (October, 2009) +5
Coral Sea 2009 (July, 2009) +4

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #169 on: September 03, 2010, 08:58:47 PM »
I think Hacksaw flew on our side during the initial Coral Sea event Brooke.  That was alot of fun. :)

I, unfortunately, stood down from PP for the first scenario in ages.  I can't comment on it's outcome or success.  Don't read anything into this, it was simply Daughters Volleyball, Tennis and Summer took a far higher priority than the timing of the event.  

I do, however, have a strong fondness for side switch events.  One thing that switching sides does do, without fail, is prove that it is not the plane set or arena configurations that will rule the day, but it is the planning, team building and overall investment in time put forth by the players that will win the day.  There are no excuses in a side switch event.  You simply have no choice but to focus 100% of your time on dealing with the conditions at hand, and do the best you can with it.  That effort, applied to even non side switch events, does remarkable things to an event and their enjoyment.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #170 on: September 03, 2010, 10:39:04 PM »
I think Hacksaw flew on our side during the initial Coral Sea event Brooke.  That was alot of fun. :)

I, unfortunately, stood down from PP for the first scenario in ages.  I can't comment on it's outcome or success.  Don't read anything into this, it was simply Daughters Volleyball, Tennis and Summer took a far higher priority than the timing of the event.  

I do, however, have a strong fondness for side switch events.  One thing that switching sides does do, without fail, is prove that it is not the plane set or arena configurations that will rule the day, but it is the planning, team building and overall investment in time put forth by the players that will win the day.  There are no excuses in a side switch event.  You simply have no choice but to focus 100% of your time on dealing with the conditions at hand, and do the best you can with it.  That effort, applied to even non side switch events, does remarkable things to an event and their enjoyment.

Which was my point all along and Lute said earlier: "It isn't the planes".  

Great post bro!   <<S>>
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #171 on: September 04, 2010, 02:13:58 AM »
Which was my point all along and Lute said earlier: "It isn't the planes".  

Great post bro!   <<S>>

Unless you are a history junky and really dive into the particular group you are in.  I flew a side switch event back in Airwarrior and while I got into it initially, I just couldn't get myself immersed when we switched.  That doesn't mean I'm stuck with just an Allied ride as I GL'd a 109E group in a B of B scenario back then and had a blast.  I just like to get sunk into the history of the group I fly with and try and pass it on to the guys in the same group.

But that's just me :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #172 on: September 04, 2010, 07:16:01 PM »
Unless you are a history junky and really dive into the particular group you are in.  I flew a side switch event back in Airwarrior and while I got into it initially, I just couldn't get myself immersed when we switched.  That doesn't mean I'm stuck with just an Allied ride as I GL'd a 109E group in a B of B scenario back then and had a blast.  I just like to get sunk into the history of the group I fly with and try and pass it on to the guys in the same group.

same here
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #173 on: September 04, 2010, 08:25:51 PM »
I like both ways.

I like non-side-switch scenarios for those reasons (getting more into "character").

And I like occasional side-switch scenarios because you get to see what it's like on both sides and it's by definition 100% balanced.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #174 on: September 05, 2010, 12:18:38 AM »
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #175 on: September 05, 2010, 12:39:48 AM »

;)

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #176 on: September 05, 2010, 12:59:23 AM »
Didn't you always wonder in the back of your mind though?

:neener: Just messing
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #177 on: September 13, 2010, 05:00:44 PM »

I would have loved to have switched into Ki-61's Dan.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2010, 12:37:55 PM »
Operation Downfall: +2
DGS: +2
Rangoon: -1
Coral Sea: +3
Final Battle: +4
Phillipines: +3

OD was my first scenario so it was obviously very fun for me. DGS was great until Frame 3/4 for Axis. Rangoon... . Coral Sea was good, I didn't like the switching countries though. Final Battle was awesome except for a few things. Phillipines had the Axis at a disadvantage but still fun, my second time being a GL.

perdweeb
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Nutzoid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2010, 12:05:43 PM »
DGS: +5  P51  The action and immersion was the best. Thanks to Fencer, Brooke and all who made it possible.
Philippine Phandango: +4 B25  Awesome First time 25's were used and what a blast!
Red Storm/Krupp Steel: +3 190F8  Intense
Battle of Britain '06: +3 MK1 Spit
Operation Downfall: +2
Battle of Britain '08: +2
Final Battle: +2
Operation Huskey: 0

A big thanks to all who participated and those who put it all together!
C co. 1st Bn 7 CAV 1st Cav Div  " Garry Owen"