Author Topic: Bombing 101?  (Read 624 times)

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
Bombing 101?
« on: January 24, 2009, 11:55:21 AM »
Just wondering, I'm having a tough time as of late bombing.

Many times, I'm almost on my target and turn just a little with the bombers turn capabilities, I drop a bit early and a bit late and sure enough they will land WAY before or WAY after.  There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or a reason to it.  I can't pinpoint the issue.

Other times, I'm dead on and just wasted the other bombs.

Also, when you line up your 'general' target for calibration, as obviously you can't see your exact target yet, when you calibrate, do you hold it real far out or do you wait till you get close.

The annoying thing is that it 'resets' and takes FOREVER to push the scope forward to see your target and set your calibration.  I wish the scope would move forward faster!

Finally, when you calibrate, do you use the joystick to hold the crosshairs on the point while moving, or allow the crosshairs to move over the point while calibrating.  I would think that it would detect variating terrain if you allow it to move so I hold it on the target the best I can, then fine tune turn then drop. It worked for me pretty well forever but now...dunno.

suggestions? 

Is there a way to set a target speed on the aircraft after a turn so it doesn't speed up too fast, so that while your calibrating...as it takes awhile to get back up to speed after a turn, it doesn't exceed your intended calibration speed when you jump from f1 to f6?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Bombing 101?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 12:03:09 PM »
You are using the wrong calibration method.

You don't put your crosshairs on the target to calibrate anymore...  That was changed  many years ago (in the MA's). It's just getting into calibration mode and then holding down Y for some time.

Only in AvA and (rarely) in special events the old calibration method is still used sometimes
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 12:06:26 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline nipper

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 12:07:27 PM »
I quite liked the old calibration method, certainly a lot more challenging than the laser guided ordinance we have now.

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 12:42:06 PM »
You are using the wrong calibration method.

You don't put your crosshairs on the target to calibrate anymore...  That was changed  many years ago (in the MA's). It's just getting into calibration mode and then holding down Y for some time.

(Image removed from quote.)

Only in AvA and (rarely) in special events the old calibration method is still used sometimes

You can still do it.  Actually Im using it every time to see target area. Ofcourse it is not necessary...

Most important is that your speed is stable. I start calibrating about 30 seconds before drop and I press "Y" as long as possible.
I am a spy!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 12:47:44 PM »
You can still do it.  Actually Im using it every time to see target area. Ofcourse it is not necessary...

Just to clarify: You can do it, but it just doesn't "work" - what you do with the crosshairs has no influence. The only thing that's important for calibration is the Y key. BTW, to see the target area I just hop into front turret and do corrections with rudder from there.

Most important is that your speed is stable.

Yup. And even a small difference between calibrated speed and true speed can make your drop worthless.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 12:54:23 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline smokey23

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 01:00:14 PM »
After i drop on one target i jump to F3 look backwards at the base i just bombed and i wait until i see the smoke dissapear this usually puts you out near the edge of the radar ring.Then begin a gradual turn keeping youre speed up and not just yanking the plane around. after you get around and nose on the base again give it about 20 to 30 seconds then begin calibrateing holding the Y button down 5 to 10 seconds at a time. I like to do at least 3 calibrations before im ready to drop again. This has worked for me, you may give it a try its a preference thing.

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 01:13:37 PM »
Patience is important.  Get stable when you are well away from the target so you do not have to rush the calibration.  Check E6B and have the plane in level flight (auto).  When the climb is 0 or -0, calibrate. 

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 01:54:05 PM »
Its all about the speed. Calibration is just telling the bombsight how fast your going.
Granted you used to have to mark a spot on the terrain, so it could figure this out.

But HTC invented the automatic, elevation and speed computing laser bombsight.

Now all you need to do is have your speed stable when you calibrate.
Note calibrated speed as you leave calibration mode. Staying in the bombsight, pull up clipboard, open your E6b.
Then using rpm keys, make actual speed the same as your calibrated speed.

Do that and you'll hit right on every time.

If your at a reasonable altitude, and if you line up the target with external view (or by going to front gunners view)
Then calibrate, then adjust speed, you should have plenty of time to then zoom and drop on targets as they pass under you.

Of course a bit of practice makes perfect, and the TA can be a good choice for doing that. Especially the bombing range, fields 20 - 24 I think it is.

Spawning South from those fields in a level bomber will give you an airstart over the target.
Making runs quick and painless.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 02:52:08 PM »
A big hint on stable speed. On the E6B, look at climb rate. When it reads zero, your speed is stable. This was an add on a few updates back. Sometimes while in the bombsight, target will come up sooner than I may want, and if my speed is not stable, I will feather throttle ever so slightly to get that zero reading on climb rate.

An earlier reply mentioned "patience". You are absolutely right. If you want accurate drops, plan way ahead. Take the scenic route if you have to. GET ALT, or get jumped.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 04:04:04 PM »
I do several calibrations. I do one when I'm nearing target with doors closed. Then one with doors open. i check my E6B to make sure I'm within 2 knots of my true airspeed. If not..calibrate again.  I also rarely use 1000lbers but stick with the 500 lb load outs. Why? Because a B-17 with 12 500s can drop the same number of hangers as a B-24 with 8 1000s...and better survivability unlike the 24 candle o death.  Also try and spread your drop with the delay function. For example, if I'm hitting hangers I salvo 3 at a delay of .15 almost ensuring a kill unless calibration is off and it gives you some room  for error.  On a perfect drop 1 set hits right in front of hanger, 1 dead center, and one right behind it.  On carriers I salve 12 with delay .1-.15 and lead the ship by 1 boat length from 7-8k. Unless the CV driver is good its dead.  i won't reveal any gunnery tips due to the fact that many Bothan spies died retrieving that information. :noid
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 08:02:59 PM »
Bomb sight? theres a dam bomb sight?!!! why doesn't anyone ever tell me this stuff!!!!! I've been sticking my head out the window all these years!
<S> 999000

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 12:23:42 AM »
Hey wow, thanks for the ENLIGHTENMENT!

This is easier.

I was lining up, then if too far off I would recalibrate with pointer on target lol.  That took forever.

Not sure what folks mean by the e6b and matching speeds...

Are you talking about vs calibrated?  Doesn't ever seem to match up perfect.  If I see it's off 9 mph faster on calibration, I kick the throttle up and recalibrate.

5 targets in b-17s.  Took down two sets of fighter hangars, missed my VH...short - not sure why.  Last minute adjustment but I recalibrated....it was a minor movement too.  Next two were offset and a FH that popped...got both of them.

:salute

Thanks for the info!  My alt was 15k. 

Now if I could only find a way to find the target quicker.  You finally get to see it, you get sorta lined up but can't see your ACTUAL target for a long time.  Makes bombing ords difficult the higher you are.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 07:28:23 AM »
Not sure what folks mean by the e6b and matching speeds...

E6B = accuracy. 

On your clipboard, there's a button that labeled "E6B."  It displays airspeed.  If your calibrated speed and true airspeed are the same, when you salvo, the bombs will land what your crosshairs were upon.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 07:46:17 AM »
Sincraft, so after calibrating, your in E6b, and as you noted your now 9 mph faster than calibrated.

That means you bombs are going to be going faster, will hit ahead of the crosshairs.

Instead of recalibrating, just pull the rpm's down on your engines. Or if its over 20mph, cut throttle.
Keeping an eye on upcoming targets "Balance" the 2 speeds until they are the same. As you hit the keypad - cutting rpms, actuall speed will start dropping. This does take some practice, but normally 3 - 6 keypresses down on RPM will pull that speed down 10 mph in 10 -15 seconds. Once you get close, you'll have to add a couple of clicks up to to keep from going right past your target speed.

Try practicing this in the TA, Calibrate, get the speed, then using rpm make the plane speed STAY at that speed.
Don't sweat time or target. Just concentrate on getting the speed within 1 mph, and keep it there.

Once you have learned what that takes, you'll find its much faster to just correct a small speed error rather than recalibrate, and much much more accurate.

If you can't hold it perfectly stable don't sweat it, remember, you just need to be in the target speed, over the target, for 2 or 3 seconds. So as long as your ready to drop the bombs, and your speeds are going to match as your doing so, or within 1 -2 mph as you do so, you will hit the target.

Everything else is practice and confidence, and will fall right into line.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 02:03:33 PM »

Now if I could only find a way to find the target quicker.  You finally get to see it, you get sorta lined up but can't see your ACTUAL target for a long time.  Makes bombing ords difficult the higher you are.

Figure out the orientation of the base and compare it to the appropriate clipboard map.  That will at least get you close enough to where you can adjust with the J and L buttons while "under the hood."

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay