Author Topic: "Gridiron Greats-NFL's current players ignoring retired vets' needs"  (Read 558 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re: "Gridiron Greats-NFL's current players ignoring retired vets' needs"
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 07:00:41 AM »
I live in Nashville and our sports radio is full of Titans players' charity events bascially year round.  I'm sure you'll say that it's the media coverage, but they have to advertise the events to get the word out for it.  Virtually all of the Titans players are heavily involved with charity work around our community.  It doesn't get reported in the national media because it's not controversial.  They get the satisfaction of their efforts and that's it. 

Thugs exist in the NFL, but the vast majority of players are good, decent people that appreciate what their physical talent has enabled them to do.  And in turn they give back to others less fortunate. 

Ok and how many of those carity events are ones sponsored BY the TITANS?
Meaning. Did the players volunteer? Or were they volunteered by the team?
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 03:11:28 PM »
See Rule #14

Oops, I wish I could remember what I said so I could retype it without the offhand political reference.  Sorry Skuzzy, I wasn't thinking.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 04:08:16 PM »
There was a big stink up a year or two ago over the revelation that almost all of the monies collected by Ditkas Hall of Fame charity was used to pay athletes to come to Golf outings and other events, "supposedly for the charity", and almost none of the money actually went to needy players. It netted about 1.3 million, which became $315,000 after the charity paid for its own "expenses", and in the end only $57,000 was given away to needy players. Think about that for a minute? 1.3 million and only $57,000 given away to needy players. :lol That means $1,243,000 was spent for other stuff. We were calling it "The Ditka Golf Club" because most of the money was spent paying Ditka and his friends to come in and play golf supposedly to support the charity. Would you send money in to be handled by this crew?

Questions? See below.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Cougar68

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 05:04:56 PM »
Ok and how many of those carity events are ones sponsored BY the TITANS?
Meaning. Did the players volunteer? Or were they volunteered by the team?

All of the ones I can remember were individual efforts.  The team sponsors several charities in the area as well and usually promotes those with the cheerleaders and a group of players.