Author Topic: "Gridiron Greats-NFL's current players ignoring retired vets' needs"  (Read 560 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
If youve followed the NFL with any kind of consistancy this year you've heard of the "Gridiron Greats" organization set up to help former NFL players in need.

Set up by Matt Birk and often championed by Mike Ditka. The idea is to get current players involved in helping out the older and now retired players who may be in need of health benifits or other needs. Many of whom come from before the era of megakagillion dollar contracts.
Players who played no small part in making the game what it is today and helped lay the groundwork for things such as free agency and the resulting huge contracts.

One would think current players. for all the rhetoric we see them spout over their reverence for former players. And in recognition of the fact that they will to a man one day also be a former player. Would be a bit more active in helping out now and in turn helping lay the groundwork for an organization they themselves may one day be in need of.

Nope
To quote from the article itself
"Vikings center Matt Birk sent a letter that was express-mailed and delivered to every NFL player right after Thanksgiving. He asked they donate a portion of their game check from the Dec.21 games to Gridiron Greats, the charity that benefits former players in need.

There are 53 players on each team. There are 32 teams. That's 1,696 players.

According to Jennifer Smith, the executive director of Gridiron Greats, as of Thursday a total of 10-15 players have sent in checks in response to what they were calling Gridiron Guardian Sunday.

The response was not 10-15 players per team. That's 10-15 players total. That's not even one player per team. The money collected has reached $175,000, but $50,000 of that came from Birk himself."

This is disgraceful.
As Mike Ditka points out

"Suppose every player in the league wrote a check for $1,000. I'll assume it would even be tax-deductible as a charitable contribution. That would be $1.696 million. Can they afford it? Forget about the four players who have $100 million contracts. Let's focus on the players making the minimum base salary. For a rookie this season that was $295,000. For a player with 4-6 years of experience that was $605,000. For a veteran with at least 10 years' experience just hanging on at the minimum, he still made $805,000. Does $1,000 seem like all that much?"

Just goes to show once again the current "Its all about me" attitude of these primadonas
For all we hear about the "charity work" Most wont even help their own kind.

Think about it. Much of the charity work most of them do is sponsored by the NFL, or the teams they play for. and probably mandated By the NFL or those teams as a PR move.
And of all the well publicized charity work we hear they do. Think about it again
There are 1,696 players currently in the NFL. Of that 1,696, How many of them do you actually hear of that do charity work.
My bet is less then 20
Pathetic.

Ohh thats right. what is it we always hear them say when they want a new big money contract?
"I've got a family to take care of."
Yea.. must be hard living on a meager base salary of $295,000. (League minimum)

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2009/01/29/2009-01-29_nfls_current_players_ignoring_retired_ve.html?page=1
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: "Gridiron Greats-NFL's current players ignoring retired vets' needs"
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 11:39:05 AM »
Greed.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline smkelly13

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 12:53:57 PM »
Yes it is greed, but it's their money, and if they don't want to donate, they don't have to.
forecast for tonight is alcohol, low standards and poor decisions
-
Soon you will be able to buy a GM product imported from China at a Wal Mart Super Center.

Offline Cougar68

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 01:07:27 PM »
Yes, there are some greedy players in the NFL that don't give a hoot about anything.  But the vast majority of them spend a huge amount of time supporting charities and giving.  To try and make all players look bad because the response to this charity was light is ridiculous. 

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 01:25:25 PM »
Yes, there are some greedy players in the NFL that don't give a hoot about anything.  But the vast majority of them spend a huge amount of time supporting charities and giving.  To try and make all players look bad because the response to this charity was light is ridiculous. 

We believe that because of what we see on TV.
But honestly is it true. Or do the non stop commercial spots and media coverage of the superstars just make it seem that way?
Count off the number of players that you know of that donate a large amount of time to charity.
Particularly the stuff that isnt specifically endorsed by the NFL. As im guessing that alot of that is compulsory.

As someone else put it. Yes it is their money. they can do what they want with it.
It is also a good example of how our society is.
The people with the least money and whom can least afford it typically donate to charities more, and more often then people who can easily afford it.

Now I'll stop there with that statement as to go any farther would more then likely lead us into a political debate.
which as we all know is strictly verboten here.
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 01:31:10 PM »
I quit watching football when the oilers left town. The NFL is full of useless babies. If they were all wiped off the earth today, would be absolutely no loss.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 10:02:36 AM »
The NFL is full of gang bangers, and, as every gang banger understands, if the boss ain't paying for it, and there isn't a gun stuck up your rear making you do it, it is just too bad for those old folks.

Gene Upshaw had the opportunity for many years to make this right; but he chose not too. Not too many former pro players consider him the hero he has been made out to be.

Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 10:38:59 AM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 11:11:35 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 10:55:53 AM »
Even at that level of pay people tend to live beyond their income level. Just saying...
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 11:25:56 AM »
I wonder if anyone here is famous or knows anyone famous. I would bet most movie stars, sports stars, TV stars and lottery winners get dozens of letters a week from 'charities' and fund raisers asking for money. If I was rich, in fact when I'm rich. I WILL decide who gets what. That's my decision.

In fact, I do get lots of letters and phone calls from charities who for some reason think I actually have money. The letters get recycled and phone calls are politely rebuffed.

One thing for certain I would never contribute to any charity that tried to embarrass me into contributing by going to the media and complaining about my greed.

Finally when I first read the title, I assumed by vets, they meant military veterans which I thought laudable. But in fact we're talking about football veterans. Now I ask, what did these guys do with their money that they need help now?

Offline lowZX14

• Silver Member
      • Home of the 325th Checkertails VFG
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 11:42:45 AM »
Drediock,

Where did you get the information from?  This is all straight from the Gridiron Greats website...
"HOW THE FUND STARTED

Jerry Kramer’s Super Bowl I ring, which was stolen 25 years ago, helped start the fund. The idea was developed when Jerry Kramer’s Super Bowl I ring was found on an online auction. The auction company, Mastros Auctions, returned the ring. Kramer then asked them to auction off his Super Bowl I replica ring to benefit retired players in need.  The endeavor was a success, and raised $22,000, which was then used as the first capital to establish the Gridiron Greats fund. Jerry Kramer founded the organization"

Here's the link to the site
http://www.gridirongreats.org/index.html

And it was Kyle Turley of the K.C. Chiefs who sent the letter out to the active players
"December 23rd, 2007 has been designated by a group of active NFL players as Gridiron Guardian Sunday.  KyleTurley a nine year veteran of the NFL and active player for The Kansas City Chiefs has spearheaded this effort for active NFL players to help retired players in dire need through the Gridiron Greats Assistance Fund"

cpxxx
While some of these former athletes have squandered away money, the NFL and NFLPA has given a lot of them the shaft when it comes to pensions and post-career support.  Here's a link to a few excerpts from a Men's Journal article written in August 2007.  Plus, their retirement money from back then when they retired is absolutely pitiful compared to the retirement money and current wages in today's NFL.
lowZX14
325th Checkertails VFG
www.325thcheckertailsvfg.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 12:07:46 PM »
The early football years there was no such thing as there is today with multi-million dollar contracts and the guys of today do owe it to the guys that came before them (IMO). In my view the guys that started all this were better players anyway and today a lot of what we have are bad role models in the very least.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 12:22:05 PM »
<< not a Mr Moneybag by any means but between Church and Charities the wife and I shoot for 10% of what we make per year for donations, could you imagine if everyone did.

"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Cougar68

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 01:48:02 PM »
We believe that because of what we see on TV.
But honestly is it true. Or do the non stop commercial spots and media coverage of the superstars just make it seem that way?
Count off the number of players that you know of that donate a large amount of time to charity.
Particularly the stuff that isnt specifically endorsed by the NFL. As im guessing that alot of that is compulsory.

I live in Nashville and our sports radio is full of Titans players' charity events bascially year round.  I'm sure you'll say that it's the media coverage, but they have to advertise the events to get the word out for it.  Virtually all of the Titans players are heavily involved with charity work around our community.  It doesn't get reported in the national media because it's not controversial.  They get the satisfaction of their efforts and that's it. 

Thugs exist in the NFL, but the vast majority of players are good, decent people that appreciate what their physical talent has enabled them to do.  And in turn they give back to others less fortunate. 

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 06:55:09 AM »
Drediock,

Where did you get the information from?  This is all straight from the Gridiron Greats website...
"HOW THE FUND STARTED

Jerry Kramer’s Super Bowl I ring, which was stolen 25 years ago, helped start the fund. The idea was developed when Jerry Kramer’s Super Bowl I ring was found on an online auction. The auction company, Mastros Auctions, returned the ring. Kramer then asked them to auction off his Super Bowl I replica ring to benefit retired players in need.  The endeavor was a success, and raised $22,000, which was then used as the first capital to establish the Gridiron Greats fund. Jerry Kramer founded the organization"

Here's the link to the site
http://www.gridirongreats.org/index.html

And it was Kyle Turley of the K.C. Chiefs who sent the letter out to the active players
"December 23rd, 2007 has been designated by a group of active NFL players as Gridiron Guardian Sunday.  KyleTurley a nine year veteran of the NFL and active player for The Kansas City Chiefs has spearheaded this effort for active NFL players to help retired players in dire need through the Gridiron Greats Assistance Fund"

cpxxx
While some of these former athletes have squandered away money, the NFL and NFLPA has given a lot of them the shaft when it comes to pensions and post-career support.  Here's a link to a few excerpts from a Men's Journal article written in August 2007.  Plus, their retirement money from back then when they retired is absolutely pitiful compared to the retirement money and current wages in today's NFL.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/birk-committed-to-cause-199557.html
"Vikings center Matt Birk said he was surprised but not deterred by the poor response from NFL players who were asked to donate part of their game checks from a December game to assist former players who face severe health and financial hardships.

Taking a leading role in the Gridiron Greats program, Birk donated $50,000 and also sent a letter to every NFL player encouraging them to donate a portion of their Dec. 21 game check. Of the nearly 1,700 active players in the league, only about 20 donated to the cause, including eight of Birk's Vikings teammates."

The main point isnt who started it.
But how the current players have responded to it.

CPXXX
I get charity letters and phone calls too.
Most are from things or people I've never heard of.
Matt Birk isnt exactly an unknown. Neither is Mike Ditka (Another big time supporter of this cause.
And the cause itself is well known.
As for running to the media.
He probably didnt. The media has been on this for a long time now. Ditka Mentioned it just about every week.
How this turned out was probably news for them as it was something they had already been following.
Finally . Not everyone in the NFL made big time money.
The Era of huge money in the greater scheme isnt all that old. And not everyone gets the big endorsement deals either.

There are all sorts of legitimate reasons some could be broke other then p$$in g it all away.
For example. All it takes is one major illness to drain money away..really really fast.
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty