Author Topic: Tuned vox & mega squads  (Read 18848 times)

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
Re: Tuned vox & mega squads
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2009, 10:46:55 AM »
ahh but when the bar gets over crowded its not as much fun. Its harder to hear what some of your "friends" are saying, and impossible to hear what others are saying. So by over filling the bar your hindering fun for others. You may like it that way, but your spoiling other peoples fun.

So while preaching "fun" as the gospel of your squad, would you say spoiling other peoples "fun" should be part of it? 

I guess perspective is the key...the short answer is of course "no"....but you are suggesting that my intent or effect is ruining someone else's fun...that has never been an objective for me personally...but anytime someone "loses" and some "wins" in essence someone's fun has been reduced....

I continue to think that AH is a game big enough for everyone's fun and not just one persons....
SECRET ANTI-BBS BULLY CLUB

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2009, 11:54:16 AM »
Not realistic my friend...the sad truth is that people play for awhile and leave...they take 1/2 year breaks etc....having a larger pool means more poeple on each night to have fun with...that is the point of a game...so small squads can be fairly lonely over time...

Now I don't want to get flamed for not agreeing with this quote. I have nothing against the BoPs, I think you're all great guys but, I'm in "The Flying Circus" we're relatively small, with ALOT of guys that have been around for 8,9,10 years. If you talk to most of us we'll tell you most of the reason why we stick around is because of the close-knit squad we have. You won't really see anyone taking 1/2 -  year breaks because; franky, we'd miss talking with eachother. It's just not the same in a large squad. I recently talked to a guy who left the BoPs, he said "you just get lost in a squad like that"

I've been in a big squad, it just wasn't my thing, I respect other people's opinions, was just stating mine
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 11:58:02 AM by B4Buster »
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2009, 12:00:03 PM »
Now I don't want to get flamed for not agreeing with this quote. I have nothing against the BoPs, I think you're all great guys but, I'm in "The Flying Circus" we're relatively small, with ALOT of guys that have been around for 8,9,10 years. If you talk to most of us we'll tell you most of the reason why we stick around is because of the close-knit squad we have. You won't really see anyone taking 1/2 -  year breaks because; franky, we'd miss talking with eachother. It's just not the same in a large squad. I recently talked to a guy who left the BoPs, he said "you just get lost in a squad like that"

Several ex-bops are in The Flying Circus and they are a great squad....please don't construe anything i said to suggest that I think all squads should be large to be successful....but ask around your squad and you will find most of your guys have been thru several squads before they found something that fit...at least the guys I am thinking of...

Everyone who has ever left BoPs has remained a friend...many FC still visit our squad ch when your numbers are low...they will always be welcome to...I have no problem with our squad ch being "the noisy neighborhood bar".  Thats the atmosphere I enjoy...baudy boisterous and loud :salute

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2009, 12:24:51 PM »
I guess perspective is the key...the short answer is of course "no"....but you are suggesting that my intent or effect is ruining someone else's fun...that has never been an objective for me personally...but anytime someone "loses" and some "wins" in essence someone's fun has been reduced....

I continue to think that AH is a game big enough for everyone's fun and not just one persons....

I'm sure its not your "intent" to ruins someones fun, but your squad and others mega squads have that "effect".

I have gone against the BOPS as well as other mega squads many a time. As one example, Bops came in with a huge numbers advantage 4-5 to 1. I was co-alt and decided to mix it up. Bad tactical choice, but hey, its a game and Im here to have fun. Most of the fighters were Tiffies, and I was in my 38. Did the tiffs try any wingman tactics... the old bait and drag move? No the main tactic was to try and HO me. I'm no "super cartoon pilot", but while avoiding the HOs I did manage to take out a couple of tiffs before I was to low on "E" to avoid the numbers that continued to close on me. I then tried to re-up once, and got vulched.

Not one guy tried to saddle up on me. In the whole 3 minute fight all I had to use was front and front quarter views. Why do you think that was? Then even with a 4 to 1 numbers advantage they had to vulch. Thats the way the game play has gone. No its not just the Bops doing it, many other squads do the same thing. Larger squads promote this, not because their leaders are saying "OK gang every plane you run into, HO every plane you see" but because its the only way they can get ahead. They gang because its the only kill around, the HO because they must kill quick or their squadmate might get the kill, they vulch because its to only kills they can get.

In a 4 on 1 that I described above, against skilled players the best I should have been able to do is ping someone, maybe one kill due to a lucky shot. None of them "fought", they just threw more bodies at me than I could handle.   

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2009, 12:33:01 PM »
I'm sure its not your "intent" to ruins someones fun, but your squad and others mega squads have that "effect".

I have gone against the BOPS as well as other mega squads many a time. As one example, Bops came in with a huge numbers advantage 4-5 to 1. I was co-alt and decided to mix it up. Bad tactical choice, but hey, its a game and Im here to have fun. Most of the fighters were Tiffies, and I was in my 38. Did the tiffs try any wingman tactics... the old bait and drag move? No the main tactic was to try and HO me. I'm no "super cartoon pilot", but while avoiding the HOs I did manage to take out a couple of tiffs before I was to low on "E" to avoid the numbers that continued to close on me. I then tried to re-up once, and got vulched.

Not one guy tried to saddle up on me. In the whole 3 minute fight all I had to use was front and front quarter views. Why do you think that was? Then even with a 4 to 1 numbers advantage they had to vulch. Thats the way the game play has gone. No its not just the Bops doing it, many other squads do the same thing. Larger squads promote this, not because their leaders are saying "OK gang every plane you run into, HO every plane you see" but because its the only way they can get ahead. They gang because its the only kill around, the HO because they must kill quick or their squadmate might get the kill, they vulch because its to only kills they can get.

In a 4 on 1 that I described above, against skilled players the best I should have been able to do is ping someone, maybe one kill due to a lucky shot. None of them "fought", they just threw more bodies at me than I could handle.   

I can't defend an attack i don't remember but in general if we are in a mission it is with some intent other then just dogfighitng...the obvious reasons i could think of for "ho'ing" would be we were heavy, had goons, had other enemy in the vicinity etc.  You suggest that ANYONE playing this game hopes to die as an outcome..let alone a veteran squad...I'm sorry if those tactics made it less fun for you in that instance but was the rest of the map and arena so horrible you picked that situation to up into?  We definitely do not advocate hoing as ACm but sometimes we do what we can to get the troops into the maproom...

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2009, 12:36:44 PM »
If that is true then it is the worst way to do it...there are much cleverer ways such as multiple similar small arenas like air warrior...small maps....no ability to hide under dar....limited vox channels.... etc

Me thinks you are assuming something that is not true.....I think the size of a squadron was made more because of historical reasons and perhaps programming....the griefers use the number a s away to try to remodel the game to their liking...

I doubt your squad is as big as it is due to "historical reasons", it's just a haven for the unskilled lemmings.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2009, 12:46:22 PM »
I doubt your squad is as big as it is due to "historical reasons", it's just a haven for the unskilled lemmings.

ack-ack

I am 9,700 posts behind you and can never close that "insult" gap enough to be an effective insulter....You are at least 10k above me in that as well as in the MA ;)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2009, 01:00:18 PM »
I can't defend an attack i don't remember but in general if we are in a mission it is with some intent other then just dogfighitng...the obvious reasons i could think of for "ho'ing" would be we were heavy, had goons, had other enemy in the vicinity etc.  You suggest that ANYONE playing this game hopes to die as an outcome..let alone a veteran squad...I'm sorry if those tactics made it less fun for you in that instance but was the rest of the map and arena so horrible you picked that situation to up into?  We definitely do not advocate hoing as ACm but sometimes we do what we can to get the troops into the maproom...

I'm sorry, I know it sounds like I'm picking on the Bops, but I'm not, I talking about the general play that results due to mega squads.

Yes I could have fought someplace else, the knights had their big squads up too.  :D In the situation I mentioned, with your squad having such a huge number advantage there really was no treat to stopping your mission, or killing your goon, but those player felt they HAD to HO, HAD to gang. Like I said, not one tried to fight, they just used over whelming numbers. They could have easily handled my poor little 38 working wingman tactics, but instead went for the skilless attack. I don't mind going against uneven numbers as long as I fight someone who fights back with some skill.  A squad attacking a base SHOULD be a great place to find a fight, instead the mentality is to dump a wall of bricks on the defenders. Whats fun about that, for either side?

Honestly which is more fun... 15 guys run an NOE and take a base after 6 minutes of fighting (fighting = vulching the 4 guys who tried to up to defend), or.... 15 guys run an NOE, 4 guys up and defend you loose 8 of your crew, the 4 defenders die at least twice each, but you still capture the base.

Sure letting guys up posses a problem, they might get the goon! If your crew is well taught, and they have skills then they should be able to handle 2 to 1 odds don't you think?

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2009, 01:05:37 PM »
I'm sorry, I know it sounds like I'm picking on the Bops, but I'm not, I talking about the general play that results due to mega squads.

Yes I could have fought someplace else, the knights had their big squads up too.  :D In the situation I mentioned, with your squad having such a huge number advantage there really was no treat to stopping your mission, or killing your goon, but those player felt they HAD to HO, HAD to gang. Like I said, not one tried to fight, they just used over whelming numbers. They could have easily handled my poor little 38 working wingman tactics, but instead went for the skilless attack. I don't mind going against uneven numbers as long as I fight someone who fights back with some skill.  A squad attacking a base SHOULD be a great place to find a fight, instead the mentality is to dump a wall of bricks on the defenders. Whats fun about that, for either side?

Honestly which is more fun... 15 guys run an NOE and take a base after 6 minutes of fighting (fighting = vulching the 4 guys who tried to up to defend), or.... 15 guys run an NOE, 4 guys up and defend you loose 8 of your crew, the 4 defenders die at least twice each, but you still capture the base.

Sure letting guys up posses a problem, they might get the goon! If your crew is well taught, and they have skills then they should be able to handle 2 to 1 odds don't you think?

Both situations happen quite a bit...sometimes 15 up!!!  The beauty of the MA is you never know how something  will turn out.  I've upped aginst Noe's and died 5x  or killed 5x...its a potluck.  There is no glory in shooting down guys trying to capture base..they are often sitting ducks because they are heavy or in planes (tiffies) that cant turn with nikis, spits etc...when you up against one you take a risk either way

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2009, 01:11:09 PM »
The point is that a "mega squad" has the numbers to dictate the type of fight it will be. Todays mega squads seem to go with the first option, where as the second option would be fun for more people.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2009, 01:12:25 PM »
What's a Mega-Squad?

:uhoh
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2009, 01:24:35 PM »
What's a Mega-Squad?

:uhoh

Any squad with more than the allowed limit of 32 people   :eek:

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2009, 01:31:14 PM »

ack-ack

<-- One "unskilled lemming" (that term is laughable). I used to play a lot more than I do now. Therefore my skill is sh**. Every time I hear that term mentioned, it makes me think that those who put it that way treat AH like they were getting paid to play. What was it William Shatner said? "Get a life!"
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2009, 01:32:50 PM »

Surprisingly, I don't hold that view personally.  I can be found on channel and flying with squads like Chicken Hawks, or the Damned on occasion.  There is a line that divides reasonable and excessive.  There's no point in quibbling on exactly where that line is, but there's no denying that somewhere there is a tipping point.  I might even go so far as to say that it's not necessarily a number, but how squads conduct themselves within the game.  For instance, I have no bad impressions whatsoever with a squad like the 71 RAF.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2009, 01:55:34 PM »
And here I thought my sig would give away the idea that I was joking.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.