Author Topic: Next war???  (Read 3442 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Next war???
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2009, 09:07:12 PM »
Nonsense.  The first gulf war was "about oil" in the sense that a trading partner was invaded in an area that had suffered an upset in stability, but we didn't go in there and take any oil.  We re-established regional stability and restored sovereignty to an allied trading partner, but we didn't establish any new supplies or procure special economic favors.  The second gulf war showed what happens when you badly scare the US after it's suffered an attack on US soil.  Trust me, being in the military I saw a whole lot of stuff that "proved" that Saddam was very close to being able to threaten not only the persian gulf region, but the entire world with chem/bio/nuke weapons.  I guess he was too damn good at bluffing because he scared a lot of people very badly, so badly that we called his bluff.  But did we get anything out of it?  I would argue that we got NOTHING out of it except the incentive to transform our military away from a cold-war footing that just isn't fully appropriate anymore.  But the cost has been enormous and we haven't gotten anything out of it.  It wasn't about oil, it was about frightening the civilian and military leaders of a nation that was under attack.

But thank you for commenting...  Your snippy remark is typical of people who are completely blinded by partisan political bickering and posturing, so much so that they refuse to examine and think about the real facts.  You attributed some pretty simplistic motivations (oil greed) to what was a hell of a complex situation when our nation had been attacked and we were faced with threats and posturing by opponents of all types and sizes.  Only one nation scared us enough to get pounded, and that was Iraq.  But it's just dumb to claim it was about the oil.  If it was, we'd have let Baghdad go to hell, brought in Exxon to set up oil fields, and secured a 1 mile wide strip of land for a pipeline while we filled up tankers.  Nobody could have stopped us.

Eagl, you may be able to provide the name of the installation that was one of the many reasons we went over there in 1990.   The installation that the Saudi's built in the Reagan Era.   The installation was modeled after an American HQ, so when we went over there, they'd have the identical things.   Eskan Village?  

Not to mention the 5 AWACS the Saudi's had/still have.  
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2009, 09:08:44 PM »
Oh the irony.

No irony at all.   You're flat out wrong.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2009, 09:19:15 PM »
Well how nice of you to tell me, but I know you are wrong. So forgive me if I differ from your american perspective.

I will not argue over this, like I said it will lead us nowhere.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2009, 09:23:30 PM »
huh, just looked on wikipedia, found a lot of stuff on the subject for Iraq. Very interesting, true or not. I still have no opinion either way, I can say this much though, Saddam got what was coming to him.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2009, 09:26:57 PM »
Well how nice of you to tell me, but I know you are wrong. So forgive me if I differ from your american perspective.

I will not argue over this, like I said it will lead us nowhere.

You made the statement about "oil".   What "American perspective"?   Most Americans would probably agree with you.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2009, 09:29:34 PM »
Well let's just say that it goes way beyond just oil, but oil is part of it.

"In GOD we trust"

Gold
Oil
Drugs

They who control the money, control the world. Very simple yet people fail to understand what it really means.

Truth has no agenda.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2009, 09:34:46 PM »
Well let's just say that it goes way beyond just oil, but oil is part of it.

"In GOD we trust"

Gold
Oil
Drugs

They who control the money, control the world. Very simple yet people fail to understand what it really means.

I suggest you write the next script for the "National Treasure" movies.   You could propose that the US Mint has inserted microchips into the "damn pennies"?

Again, when Saddam overran Kuwait, he was less than an hour from the Installation in Saudi Arabia.   THAT had NATO and Saudi Arabia worried.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2009, 09:40:59 PM »
You impress with your intelligent remarks. I stand in awe of your conversational abilities.

Seriously, there is no doubt that whoever disrupt the supply of oil, or even threaten to, is in a world of hurt.

Truth has no agenda.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
You impress with your intelligent remarks. I stand in awe of your conversational abilities.

Seriously, there is no doubt that whoever disrupt the supply of oil, or even threaten to, is in a world of hurt.

So, when NATO removed Saddam from Kuwait, the US ignited the Oil fields, "in an attempt to disrupt the oil supply?"    If "oil" is to be any mention in Desert Shield/Storm, is that Saddam wanted to control a large chunk of the World's Oil supply.   

But to make as broad of a statement that you did, is wrong.   That has been my stance all along.   I'm probably one of the few folks that can discuss things without insulting.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2009, 09:55:55 PM »
You make emotional and suggestive argumentation.

When did I say that the US ignited the oil fields? I never did.

"Saddam wanted to control a large chunk of the world's oil supply" Did I ever question that?

Truth has no agenda.

Offline EagleEyes

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/bassim
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2009, 10:13:30 PM »
:rofl
Why?No resources,surviving only on USA payments in exchange for military bases on their territory.Its your burden now.

<<S>> KGB you know i got nothing but respect for you sir!

However, are there not people in Russia who want the old Empire back?? With its old territories?? And natural resources??

If Russia is not worried about Ukraine, then why are they so against Ukraine joining Nato??
Joedog31

GL IV./JG4 for Red Storm Krupp Steel
***The Flying Circus*** MA
334th FS "The Eagles" - FSO

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2009, 10:16:38 PM »
next war, masher & vortex

Lets get in on!  :rock
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2009, 07:53:11 AM »
"Saddam wanted to control a large chunk of the world's oil supply" Did I ever question that?

yea, your other messages imply that you did.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2009, 09:09:47 AM »
Where?

Truth has no agenda.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2009, 11:10:49 AM »
I did not say HAD weapons, but they all have programs in R and D.

I say...Nope.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)