Author Topic: Dive bombing in Lancasters  (Read 2072 times)

Offline ColKLink

• Nickel Member
Re: Dive bombing in Lancasters
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2009, 02:52:41 AM »
Lancs, far as i know, which is .....*ch 555 on star choice* , I get all my pertenant information from military or history channel. They always tell it like it wasnt,.....errr was.... <S> I only recall lancs toss'n what looked like a barrel filled w/ tnt. skip bombing dams to flood the area.
Live each day like it's your last, and one day, you will be right.---- rush 2112,--->" and the sheep shall inherit the earth"......

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2009, 04:47:05 AM »
Heck if you hit someone like that, you should get a LOT more points!

:rofl :rofl :rofl

I don't really care how they fly lancstukas.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2009, 04:48:25 AM »
The Dambusters Lancs didn't toss.  They dropped spin-stabilized bombs, that looked like barrels, from low level.  The spin allowed the bombs to skip along the surface of the lake and over the torpedo nets protecting the dams.

No diving, no lofting.  60 foot altitude straight in.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2009, 05:39:25 AM »

SNIP
I know I'm not the first to bring this up judging by comments in the MA this AM. So what I'm asking is why hasn't this been addressed yet?
Razer

Went on a mini crusade about dive bombing heavy bombers about 5 years ago.....that's right  5 years ago.  Was hoping F6 to be made DEFAULT drop position as a bear minimum to stop these gamey idiots.  Although it wouldn't stop them out right it would make it harder for the skilles STUPID gamer type to be accurate.

From what I gather through reading through the lines of some posts, HTC is happy with the flight model but he can't code out ...."STUPID".  In other words he's done his bit but if an individual player wants to "ride it in" then that's the players choice.  However, I feel there's more to it than that.  Perhaps it allows newbies to feel they are contributing to their side by suiciding cv's and stuff.....rinse repeat untill addiction complete.  Perhaps the coding is too ingrained in the flight model to be bothering with coding bomb bay bomb hang ups.   What ever the reason/s it's one of the longest lasting bug bears.  Considering other gamey aspects have been coded out i.e runway spawn point bombing, I'm stumped as to why this hasn't been addressed.......good luck with it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 05:43:25 AM by LYNX »

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2009, 09:28:33 AM »
We should make a list of gameplay features that we know are more or less incorrect.  This one can be at the top of the list. ;)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2009, 10:14:48 AM »

no dive bombing in these pics! just a good hit from about 10,000 feet
hard turn right after pickle to make myself a smaller target, for ack

Flying since tour 71.

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2009, 10:29:50 AM »
The Avro Lancaster started life as the Avro Manchester, a design to a 1936 Air Ministry specification for a twin engined medium bomber. Oddly the specification also included a requirement that the aircraft be able to carry out dive-bombing at angles of up to 30-degrees and the ability to launch torpedoes.

I guess Hitech simply perfected what Avro didn't.   :lol

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2009, 11:33:30 AM »
The Dambusters Lancs didn't toss.  They dropped spin-stabilized bombs, that looked like barrels, from low level.  The spin allowed the bombs to skip along the surface of the lake and over the torpedo nets protecting the dams.

No diving, no lofting.  60 foot altitude straight in.

So you think they went on at low level after dropping?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline choker41

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2009, 11:43:05 AM »
I just want to admit something so I feel better. My ingame ID is Choker41 and I have been known to do one sortie in a month of dive bombing last hanger on a VBase.  I do level bomb first pass then I do an Immelman and dive bomb last hanger.  Pheeeeeeeeewwwwwwyyyyyy got that of my chest. Now lets go play
Formerly known as choker41
Proud member of the Swampdragons
IN GAME ID:   FUBAR

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2009, 11:53:09 AM »
So you think they went on at low level after dropping?
I have it on good authority that NO 4 engined bombers ever did a mission under 3-4k.

:noid
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 12:08:52 PM by Bronk »
See Rule #4

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2009, 11:56:54 AM »
Just remove  F3  view mode and this crap will settle down a bit ! Doing this will also make the A20s and IL2s a bit more realistic   :aok

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2009, 11:59:20 AM »
Doing this will also make the A20s and IL2s a bit more realistic   :aok
Could you explain what you mean by this?
See Rule #4

Offline Edgar

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2009, 12:05:18 PM »
I have it on good authority that NO 4 engined bombers ever did a mission under 10k.

:noid

B-17's WERE used in the pacific for skip bombing attacks on the IJN fleet. There are even books written on it by people that were there. They would approach at about 200 feet (at night or in bad weather) and skip bomb modified 1000 pounders into the ship. Here is a publishers note from the book "Skip Bombing" by James T. Murphy:

"Murphy was one of a very small number of volunteer pilots who, with their flight crews, started bombing at low altitudes in B-17 flying fortresses in the Southwest Pacific. The aircraft were flown at a 200-foot altitude and at 250 miles per hour at night. One-thousand pound bombs, equipped with four-to-five second fuses, were dropped from the B-17s. On March 3, 1943, the Japanese made a desperate move to re-supply their forces on New Guinea. Twenty-two cargo, transport, and war ships proceeded toward New Guinea using bad weather for cover. They were found in the Bismarck Sea. The Allied Air Forces--using skip bombing--sank all twenty-two Japanese ships. Murphy was credited with sinking nine Japanese ships during his year of combat, including one in the Bismarck Sea battle. Skip bombing became a tactic that helped the U.S. win the war in the South Pacific."

It wasnt done in high numbers, but it was done.

<S>
Edgar
XO
VMF-222 ~Flying Deuces~
http://www.vmf-222.com/

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2009, 12:39:15 PM »
Could you explain what you mean by this?

It's easy,  try and keep up :aok If F3 mode was disabled, the ability for the "dogfighting" A20s and IL2s would be greatly curtailed, simply because the views would be realistic!  :cool:

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2009, 12:47:53 PM »
no dive bombing in these pics! just a good hit from about 10,000 feet
hard turn right after pickle to make myself a smaller target, for ack

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

10K--> ? <  that's a dive bombing run if I've ever seen one !  :rofl :rofl :rofl The tracers give away the LIE  :aok