Author Topic: Dive bombing in Lancasters  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Twist

• Nickel Member
Dive bombing in Lancasters
« on: February 06, 2009, 04:10:14 PM »
OK, enough is enough, I mean come on already, hasn't this gone on long enough? The B24 was fixed sometime ago so any hanky-panky in it and pop goes your wings. Why not do the same with the Lanc's? I watched someone do an Immelman in a Lanc while under 2k alt this morning. That's absolute BS folks.

I know I'm not the first to bring this up judging by comments in the MA this AM. So what I'm asking is why hasn't this been addressed yet?

I once filmed a group of B26's on the deck pulling up near a CV and slinging the bombs at it, also BS, sent film, no reply.

Saw a Lanc do the same thing not long afterward, didn't send film, why bother?

Do I need to start a petition? Call Texas? Drive down there and march out front with a sign? What?

Seems to me a fix for this is a matter of a few simple tweaks. Charge me a tweak fee if you must, just fix this please.

Razer
Razer

Hellcat FG

"They porked the Hellcat? Why did they do that?"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Dive bombing in Lancasters
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 04:12:32 PM »
It's gamey, true. There was no point in sending a film to them, I don't think they'll do anything about it.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 04:15:25 PM »

I once filmed a group of B26's on the deck pulling up near a CV and slinging the bombs at it, also BS, sent film, no reply.

LOL...i used to do that before the new CVs.  Now, as I have a new outlook on AH  ;), I don't even bother sinking them.  Matter of fact I say keep em up  :aok
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 04:16:27 PM »
LOL...i used to do that before the new CVs.  Now, as I have a new outlook on AH  ;), I don't even bother sinking them.  Matter of fact I say keep em up  :aok
I used to also. Frankly, I'd rather up a 234 and climb to 15K and try to sink the bugger (knowing I WILL NOT hit it) just for the fun of it.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 04:17:54 PM »
I used to also. Frankly, I'd rather up a 234 and climb to 15K and try to sink the bugger (knowing I WILL NOT hit it) just for the fun of it.

Never was able to sink a CV with high alt bombers.  Never really bothered doing that anyway.  Like I stated in my other post, I couldn't care any less if an enemy CV was sunk.  It just gives me more Hurri 1 time  :aok
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 04:30:06 PM »
OK, enough is enough, I mean come on already, hasn't this gone on long enough? The B24 was fixed sometime ago so any hanky-panky in it and pop goes your wings. Why not do the same with the Lanc's? I watched someone do an Immelman in a Lanc while under 2k alt this morning. That's absolute BS folks.

I know I'm not the first to bring this up judging by comments in the MA this AM. So what I'm asking is why hasn't this been addressed yet?

Do I need to start a petition? Call Texas? Drive down there and march out front with a sign? What?

Seems to me a fix for this is a matter of a few simple tweaks. Charge me a tweak fee if you must, just fix this please.

Razer

slinging the bombs, i think did occur in reality.

in all honesty, i wonder what it'd be like if they gave us the skip bombs that lancs used  sometimes.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 04:32:36 PM »
Never was able to sink a CV with high alt bombers.  Never really bothered doing that anyway.  Like I stated in my other post, I couldn't care any less if an enemy CV was sunk.  It just gives me more Hurri 1 time  :aok
And more 109F time for I. :) I can't hit squat with buffs in calibration with CVs...and I don't intend on actually practicing any time soon. I know how to do it, but I don't care to do it...

FlyKommando.com

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 04:54:34 PM »

Toss/Loft bombing is an actual tactic that is used pretty much by all air forces.  Here is an example of one form of loft bombing, the "Over the Shoulder", it's what I used to use in the P-38J when hunting Osties and WWs.

The only possible 'gamey' part would have been using a B-26 but I'm pretty sure the Marauder was capable of performing the most basic loft bombing technique, such as the Pop-Up, Level Toss or even a Dive Toss.

In its most basic from, loft bombing is the act of pulling upwards as you pickle your bombs which gives the bomb additional flight time by starting its ballistic path in an upward vector.  It's a great tactic to use when you're coming off the deck, ensures that you can pickle at low altitude and have your bomb travel the necessary distance to arm itself.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 05:24:30 PM »
     I'm not sure the over-the-shoulder tactic was used in WW2.  Lead computing gunsights and
ballistic computers were in their infancy in the 50s.  It was used by the Phantoms I worked on,
mostly for tactical huke practice deliveries.

Also the only "skip" bombing I've ever heard of Lancasters doing was the 617 squadron dam raids,
and technically that would be "spin" bombing  :D  I do think 4 engined US bombers did skip bomb in
the pacific however.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 05:29:18 PM »
The Brits had round "ball" bombs that they used to skip bomb ships. I don't know if they were used or even if the lanc carried them.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 05:35:12 PM »

Razer

Why do you care? Buffs doing this are going to be low and easy kills.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 05:39:30 PM »

Yes.  And take pictures.  :)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 06:05:20 PM »
Toss/Loft bombing is an actual tactic that is used pretty much by all air forces.  Here is an example of one form of loft bombing, the "Over the Shoulder", it's what I used to use in the P-38J when hunting Osties and WWs.

(Image removed from quote.)

The only possible 'gamey' part would have been using a B-26 but I'm pretty sure the Marauder was capable of performing the most basic loft bombing technique, such as the Pop-Up, Level Toss or even a Dive Toss.

In its most basic from, loft bombing is the act of pulling upwards as you pickle your bombs which gives the bomb additional flight time by starting its ballistic path in an upward vector.  It's a great tactic to use when you're coming off the deck, ensures that you can pickle at low altitude and have your bomb travel the necessary distance to arm itself.

ack-ack

That looks like a very tough way to get any sort of accuracy.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 06:52:49 PM »
Heck if you hit someone like that, you should get a LOT more points!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 06:54:04 PM »
     I'm not sure the over-the-shoulder tactic was used in WW2.  Lead computing gunsights and
ballistic computers were in their infancy in the 50s.  It was used by the Phantoms I worked on,
mostly for tactical huke practice deliveries.

Considering loft bombing was really development post WW2 as a somewhat safe way of delivering tactical nuclear ordnance, doubt the over-the-shoulder method was even used during the war.  However, through trial and error (when it comes to learning how to "aim") it's a method that works quite well in AH.  

I've even used the "Pop-Up" and "Level Toss" methods in the B-25H with some success, though with 3 1,000lb bombs, you really don't have to be all that accurate just need to get close.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song