Author Topic: Observations on the CH fighterstick  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Re: Observations on the CH fighterstick
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 01:26:33 PM »
Thanks for the post. I ordered a CH fighter stick and throttle last nite. I've been using the X52 for 3 years now and the JS is about shot. I think what I'll do is use the X52 throttle with the CH JS.  :aok

hope you ordered some type or rudder pedal, if you did not know, the CH sticks are not twisty sticks.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 01:41:45 PM »
Already have them  :aok
Lighten up Francis

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 02:41:15 PM »
To correct, I am snomhf over at the ch hangar:  http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/

Check out my web site:  http://snomhf.exofire.net/

I am constantly adding articles, tips, project details, etc. there so hopefully you'll find something there that's helpful.

When you go to the CH Hangar, be sure to check out Ken King's very well done doc called Control Manager for Dummies  http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2017

Good luck with that CH gear.  The pots and gimbals in the stick I am using are almost 10 years old now and still going strong!  I know I'm biased but NOTHING out there matches CH in overall value and performance.
The Hay Street Boys

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 03:05:13 PM »
I cut a small piece of pipe insulation and taped it to the top of the lower lip on my CH stick. Raised my hand just enough to I can reach that pesky 8-way hat perfectly. I do however use both that and a hat on throttle for views.
Had a picture of it but can't find it now to post. Of course I taped it on with duct tape  :)
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Cobra516

• Copper Member
      • Virtual Thunderbirds
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 03:35:27 PM »
Does anyone else fly with the stick positioned down between your legs? 

I've made a makeshift Fighterstick support out of some old pieces of flat wood that I nailed/epoxy'd together.  Slide one end up under my butt on the seat and the other end sits on the floor and sticks up under the CH pedals - have the stick secured to the wood board by some trusty ol' scotch tape wrapped several times around. 

Not the best looking setup but it makes for a very solid feel, and feels much more natural than having it sitting on a desk.  I rest my right arm on my right leg - works very nicely, been flying this way for years.
Slipping the surly bonds.

"Ray" #3 Right Wing
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 11:25:46 AM »
WOW! you must have little tiny girly hands !!  :D which if you think about must look pretty funny on that frame of yours j/k

Homeboy does a lot of mods on the CH sticks, turns them into lefty sticks, and yes even shortens them a bit. Good luck with the new gear, you'll never look back !

Ditto

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 11:54:45 PM »
Does anyone else fly with the stick positioned down between your legs? 

I've made a makeshift Fighterstick support out of some old pieces of flat wood that I nailed/epoxy'd together.  Slide one end up under my butt on the seat and the other end sits on the floor and sticks up under the CH pedals - have the stick secured to the wood board by some trusty ol' scotch tape wrapped several times around. 

Not the best looking setup but it makes for a very solid feel, and feels much more natural than having it sitting on a desk.  I rest my right arm on my right leg - works very nicely, been flying this way for years.

But what would happen if you needed a whizz? That kinda setup would make peeing in a bottle very awkward and could lead to perhaps peeing on your joystick and or electrocution and possibly death! You wouldn't want that on your gravestone! :rolleyes:

Offline awrabbit

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 08:54:13 PM »
I am on my second full CH rig.  I love it .  if my first CH rig would of worked with the PC I would still be using. after 10 years it still work like new on my Mac.

So... I can use the saitex x52 throttle with my Ch stuff? this could be useful for some stuff.

I said in another post that I have had almost all of major brand sticks and I went back to CH with out a second thought.  I tried to save a buck  on these brand  X sticks and none of the really ever lived up to the  CH.

Rabbit
Rabbit

Offline Buzzard7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 09:21:58 PM »
Anybody know where I can get those 100k pots a little cheaper than from CH I have a pot going bad. Seems to spike at the worst times. Gonna try some contact cleaner first though.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 11:39:51 AM »
So... I can use the saitex x52 throttle with my Ch stuff? this could be useful for some stuff.
AFAIK, you can use any combination of sticks, throttles and rudders.  As long as they calibrate in Windows and AH2 shows them all, you only need to tell AH2 which controller does what.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline awrabbit

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 11:53:45 AM »
I was thinking about dual throttle controls.  can we do this?

Rabbit
Rabbit

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 03:40:43 PM »
I was thinking about dual throttle controls.  can we do this?

Rabbit

yup

Offline watanna

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2009, 10:59:52 AM »
     Been using CH app. 3 yrs.  My view setup is one I never seen used or discussed by anyone else.  I use the stick hat for my 360 degree views.  On the throttle I use the three buttons on the front side as 1 up, 2 dwn, and 3 home.  As most of my planes I have seat paged up the home view works great for sbao run or to read some of the gauges.  Also have all my trims set of on the throttle.  Takes awhile to to develop finger memory but used to be musician so not a major problem.  Be interested to know if anyone else has ever tried this configuration.   Good Luck  BLT280

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2009, 01:43:46 PM »
Got my peddals yesterday and had a bit of time to try em out. What really sucks is now I'm gonna have to learn a whole new set of muscle memories to make this work. Developing the delicate control is gonna be a challenge. Another problem I'm haveing is that my mind keeps thinking of the peddals as a steering wheel meaning that if I push my right foot forward i'm thinking left turn and I keep cross controling. It's easy enough to do when cruising but when it gets hectic my feet forget what they are supposed to be doing. Missing a lot of shots and stalling into the ground because of this. I'll assume at this point it will just take time to learn a new controller all over again. On the bright side, this settup is smooth and precise. Once I get the hang of it It's shaping up to be the best controll setup I've ever had.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2009, 02:33:33 PM »
Using rudders...step on where you want to go.   Want to turn left? Step on left foot.  You're right, it sound counter-intuitive to driving an ATV with steering wheel, but doesn't take long to get that "muscle memory".  Just remember to rarely step full rudder in either direction unless you're trying to skid the plane sideways to lose airspeed (like when coming in hot for a landing), or trying to snaproll during combat.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals