Author Topic: Warping problem/spiking FPS  (Read 686 times)

Offline Kteich716

• Zinc Member
Warping problem/spiking FPS
« on: February 12, 2009, 08:57:50 PM »
I have recently been having problems with warping pretty bad. I noticed that my frame rates where bouncing around from 30 to 90 and whenever i got into close combat with people my framerates would start acting up and the planes would warp. I set my max frame rate to 45 but still my frames spike well into the 90's somehow. I used to have problems with warping because i run vista. But i fixed that and have been running fine untill now. Anyone know a fix?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Warping problem/spiking FPS
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 06:32:39 AM »
Could be background process related.  Could be your Internet connection coming under attack.

Check in the in-game "Variance" line in the "Net Status" (right click on the clipboard map for the option).  It should be flat.  If it is bouncing around, that would normally indicate the CPU is being taken away from the game to do other things.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Kteich716

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 07:26:23 AM »
What do you mean by my connection coming under attack? I checked my ping and it is normal at a steady 100 ping. The line doesnt bounce at all either.  But if it is under attack that doesnt sound like a good thing. And do you know why my frame rates would still be jumping around like that even though i set it for 45? Because i think that may be athe source of my problems. y fps will jump from 45 to 90 to 60 to 80 and so on. It is only steady when i am flying on a straight heading with not much action around.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 07:33:07 AM by Kteich716 »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 10:34:31 AM »
If the "Variance" line is not bouncing around, then the CPu seems to be doing fine.  It could be the video card then.  Are you running the Aero desktop?  Did you install the game in the "Program Files" folder?  Is the SuperFetch service still running?

If you answer "Yes" to any of the above questions, then it could be a source of erratic frame rates.  The DXDIAG output will be most helpful.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 11:24:51 AM »
The fix for my warping was much easier.  Find your power settings on your computer and make sure that it is not set on "energy star".  If it is set it to "home office/desktop".  Energy Star robs power from the system and won't allow your computer to use the power it needs to run the game.  This very true with HP computers running XP.  I think it also helped abcd(player name) with his warping and he uses Vista.
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 11:32:42 AM »
I keep forgetting about that one.  Thank you stroker71.

Yes, it is important, particularly on laptops to disable any power management settings.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Kteich716

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 02:06:34 PM »
I rechecked my net status and it is actualy acting up. Almost resembles shingles the way it rising and dropping. I dont understand why it would start acting up out of nowhere. I havnt downloaded anything new or change my services. I have done pretty much everything you put on the vista help page skuzzy. I checked my power settings and they are set for full. I ran adaware and spyware and my computer is clean. i have 29 processes running with CPU % at 0-2 and pyh. memory at 19%
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 02:18:11 PM by Kteich716 »

Offline Coogan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 02:19:49 PM »
   I'm using dial up and get that same thing on occasion.  I've found that if I just disconnect from my ISP, then reconnect, the issue is gone.  I usually get a stair type effect in my variance display, then I notice I am warping.

Coogan

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 02:24:28 PM »
Sounds like something is firing off in the background if the Variance is bouncing at a steady rate.

A number of things can cause that.  Maybe you inherited an IP address from some P2P user.  If so, it will clear in a day or two.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Kteich716

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 02:58:03 PM »
 Ya im starting to think that it may just be my connection. I will wait a couple of days to see if it is solved. I also think i may have disabled a servise that allows me to use pingplot because it wont work for any trace.

Offline Kteich716

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 09:50:22 AM »
3rd day of bad warping and still no fix. Im still confused on how whenever i warp mmy framrates go up to 90. My variance is all over the place up and down. Its not a steady up and down any more. I have made sure thta the game is running at its fastes and my computer is running at its fastest and still no luck. My internet connection seems to be working fine. Im wondering if updating or downgrading my drivers would help. And also If freeing up disk space would help.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 10:53:10 AM »
on your desk top, hit cntrl, alt, delete to bring upi the windows task manager. Click on the "processes" tab at the top. In the lower left corner it will tell you how many processes you have running (lower the better, mid 20's for a clean system). To the right of that is CPU usage. On a clean system it should jump to 2% max at idle steady like a heartbeat with no programs running. If its going higher, you have to find what is grabbing the CPU. You can also get "ping plotter". Its a free program you can use to ping the servers at HTC and see how good your connection is. The address you ping is in the sticky at the top of the tech forum.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 11:05:16 AM »
He mentioned all of that above.....

I rechecked my net status and it is actualy acting up. Almost resembles shingles the way it rising and dropping. I dont understand why it would start acting up out of nowhere. I havnt downloaded anything new or change my services. I have done pretty much everything you put on the vista help page skuzzy. I checked my power settings and they are set for full. I ran adaware and spyware and my computer is clean. i have 29 processes running with CPU % at 0-2 and pyh. memory at 19%

Have you enabled V-Sync for your video card?
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Kteich716

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 11:10:34 AM »
Where do i fin v-sync? Also I found out the my disk defragmenter hasnt been working i tried to run it manualy but when i double click on it nothing happens. I have a feeling this may be my problem because last time i ran defragmenter was almost a month ago. So does anyone know how i can get it to work. Is there a service i may have disabled? Or if you know of any free disk defragers that would be helpful too.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 11:14:54 AM »
Your V-Sync options will be in the advanced options of your video-card. To reach this region right-click your desktop, go to Properties. Now at the top go to, "Settings." The option for V-Sync will be somewhere in the, "Advanced" options.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.