Author Topic: Eny  (Read 1573 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Eny
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 10:59:29 PM »
You obviously are a spit16 pilot.

:rofl

I'm sure I could beat you in every plane in the game, but that's beside the point.

I know enough about the dynamics of the game and have been around long enough in flight sims to be able to voice a thought without some ignorant fool taking a thoughtless jab at me.  I bet you are a P51D pilot.

Did you even read my post?  Your response doesn't even make sense.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 11:08:24 PM by grizz441 »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 09:41:33 AM »
Takes thoughtless jab...... DOH hit my foot again!
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 09:59:52 AM »
Hello Grizz,

I definitely say ENY should be set by the potential of an aircraft, not it's popularity.  I am assuming that by popular you mean it's level of use in the MA's.  Popularity is not a good measure of what an aircraft's ability can do to help a pilot to overcome his opponent.  It is a measure of the MA populations top 10 list so to speak.  I think there are probably planes both popular & unpopular that run the range on ENY from low potential to high potential.  Although I will concede that most low ENY planes are probably quite popular.  (Waiting for Lusche to come up with stats...) Some AH pilots can meet or exceed any aircraft's ENY potential, while a new pilot flying a high potential, popular, low ENY ride may never reach his/her chosen aircraft's true capabilities.  So a measure of what an aircraft can do in a good pilot's hands truly is the best measure for establishing ENY.

Have a great day,

Way
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 02:49:59 PM »

I definitely say ENY should be set by the potential of an aircraft, not it's popularity.  I am assuming that by popular you mean it's level of use in the MA's.  Popularity is not a good measure of what an aircraft's ability can do to help a pilot to overcome his opponent.  It is a measure of the MA populations top 10 list so to speak.  I think there are probably planes both popular & unpopular that run the range on ENY from low potential to high potential.  Although I will concede that most low ENY planes are probably quite popular.  (Waiting for Lusche to come up with stats...) Some AH pilots can meet or exceed any aircraft's ENY potential, while a new pilot flying a high potential, popular, low ENY ride may never reach his/her chosen aircraft's true capabilities.  So a measure of what an aircraft can do in a good pilot's hands truly is the best measure for establishing ENY.

Thanks for your thoughts.  I feel like I am looking at this from a different perspective from others and let me try to explain my view from a different light if I can.  I see Eny as a tool to limit the overpopulated side's ability to just run over another chess piece with superior aircraft.  I think we can all agree on that.  So Eny in principle deals with population control.  I'd say there's usually a side imbalance but the eny range is typically between 5-8 but can obviously be much higher as we have seen.  If Eny's purpose is to deal with population control, then it seems to me plane popularity needs to be a factor there.  If planes like the Typhoon and Fw190D9 (which are two of the most popular planes) are still readily available to the overpopulated side, it's just the same as not having Eny.  Speed and Guns dictate gameplay in the MA.  A gang will still dominate using B&Z tactics and these planes are 2 of the most deadly in this regard. 

On a side note, the only thing that got me thinking about eny is when me and m00t try to take up the Ta152 and eny is at 7 and we can't fly it.  Rather frustrating.  If the 152 was set to 15 or whatever (some number out of range of typical eny control) then how would it really affect the imbalance of the arena?  3-4 extra pilots would be able to fly a plane that most would argue isn't that great under 20k.  Side note end.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 03:27:34 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts.  I feel like I am looking at this from a different perspective from others and let me try to explain my view from a different light if I can.  I see Eny as a tool to limit the overpopulated side's ability to just run over another chess piece with superior aircraft.  I think we can all agree on that.  So Eny in principle deals with population control.  I'd say there's usually a side imbalance but the eny range is typically between 5-8 but can obviously be much higher as we have seen.  If Eny's purpose is to deal with population control, then it seems to me plane popularity needs to be a factor there.  If planes like the Typhoon and Fw190D9 (which are two of the most popular planes) are still readily available to the overpopulated side, it's just the same as not having Eny.  Speed and Guns dictate gameplay in the MA.  A gang will still dominate using B&Z tactics and these planes are 2 of the most deadly in this regard. 

On a side note, the only thing that got me thinking about eny is when me and m00t try to take up the Ta152 and eny is at 7 and we can't fly it.  Rather frustrating.  If the 152 was set to 15 or whatever (some number out of range of typical eny control) then how would it really affect the imbalance of the arena?  3-4 extra pilots would be able to fly a plane that most would argue isn't that great under 20k.  Side note end.

Hello Grizz,

I am withholding any judgement on either the D9 or the Typhoon as I am still actively getting to know them and their capabilities.  As far as the 152 (Love it) it is one of those ones that falls through the cracks.  It has awesome potential with a good pilot flying in it's high altitude envelope, although there are great pilots that make her sing at low alt.  Since most action in the MA's occurs less than 20k, then this plane will for the most part not be used to it's best potential.  I would agree that it's ENY is too low as far as low altitude dogfighting is concerned, for high alt work we both know that she is an absolute monster.  See what I mean about fell through the cracks?  I think an ENY of 10 or so would be good, as it is the best balance of it's high potential at high alt and lowered potential at lower alt.

Have a great day,

Way
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 03:42:26 PM »
:rofl

I'm sure I could beat you in every plane in the game, but that's beside the point.

I've been clobbered by you before (and most everyone else) and don't doubt this. Sincraft was making a joke there, I believe. I guess that's off limits.

More to the point, why do you need a 152 to fly when you could kill easily in a high ENY plane? If it means that much, you could fly for the low # side.

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 03:44:49 PM »
I like your list, except f4f and fm2 eny needs to get higher, shouldnt be equal with zeke much less k4

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 05:08:44 PM »

I've been clobbered by you before (and most everyone else) and don't doubt this. Sincraft was making a joke there, I believe. I guess that's off limits.

More to the point, why do you need a 152 to fly when you could kill easily in a high ENY plane? If it means that much, you could fly for the low # side.

I dunno, I was annoyed by his comment I guess, I typically have a good sense of humor.  I didn't understand the joke I guess?

As for the 152, the fact that it's Eny is 5 is only because it is so good above 20k, other than that it might as well be a 15-20 Eny plane.  And I do fly the low # side, but sometimes #'s fluctuate through primetime and when all the Muppets switch to one side, next thing you know the Eny spikes and you are stuck on a side with a 7 eny and can't fly what you want. 

But more importantly I think Eny doesn't do a good job at stopping poor game play which is what it is designed to do.  With popular fast planes like the Typh and 190D9 (I know I've brought these two planes up plenty because I think they are keys to poor game play in the LWs) always readily available to fly regardless of Eny, Eny doesn't serve any purpose in slowing down the timidness of the MA.  If the timid player who typically flies the P51D all of a sudden can't fly it due to Eny, he'll hop in a Typh, if not that, a D9, all fast enough to support his timidness and lack of development as a pilot. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 05:17:34 PM by grizz441 »

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 05:19:04 PM »
... next thing you know the Eny spikes and you are stuck on a side with a 7 eny and can't fly what you want. 

ENY spiked at 7???

You realize the only thing you can't fly at 7 is perked birds, Spit XVI, LA7, Ta152, and P-47N?  Is it really that bad???

Be a little flexible.  Spit dweeb?  Spit IX is still a nice ride.  It's all the cannon any way.  There are many other capable rides out there.  ENY moves around a lot anyway.  Maybe patience is the key?   

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 05:25:03 PM »
That doesn't sound like eny is the problem grizz.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 05:26:22 PM »
ENY spiked at 7???

You realize the only thing you can't fly at 7 is perked birds, Spit XVI, LA7, Ta152, and P-47N?  Is it really that bad???

Be a little flexible.  Spit dweeb?  Spit IX is still a nice ride.  It's all the cannon any way.  There are many other capable rides out there.  ENY moves around a lot anyway.  Maybe patience is the key?   

wrongway

Well considering all I fly these days is the 152, yes it's annoying :)  I think in the last 5 months i've flown a spitfire maybe 4 times :) But I don't really care about this as much as others being able to fly popular, fast, lethal birds, despite the eny. 

That doesn't sound like eny is the problem grizz.

My main point here is not about me.  Forget about me and the 152.  It's moot.  My point is that Eny does nothing to improve the gameplay of the main arena and I've explained why already.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 05:28:31 PM by grizz441 »

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 07:17:42 PM »
ENY spiked at 7???

wrongway
No thanks. The fact is that the 152 is unfairly restricted.  I don't want to fly other or easier planes. Especialy not spits. And no, it's not a nice ride.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 11:45:47 PM »
In the LW arena...

The P47N has a far too low of an ENY and the Fw190A-8 has far too high of an ENY.  Those 2 are both way off the mark, imo.

The P47N would have a more legit ENY if it were scored at 15 (the only real advantage it has over the other P47's is range).  The Fw190A-8 would have a much more legit ENY if it were scored at 20-25.  No other single engine plane can bring the amount of firepower to a battle like the Fw190A-8 with its dual 30mm, dual 20mm, and dual 13mm, and a single 500kg bomb.  THe 190F-8 has a 20 ENY... explain to me why the 190A-8 has a 31???

Others, imo, that HTC needs to consider changing to a lower ENY are: 109K-4 (down to 15), P51D (down to 5), 110G-2 (down to 5), IL-2 (down to 15).  Also, the following seem to be out of whack having too low of an ENY: Ta-152 (up to 15?), P38J (up to 25 due to lesser rockets and no dive recovery flaps, currently it is the SAME as the L model), P47D-10 (up to 30 ENY due to no rockets), SBD (up to 35-40).

That is it for now....   ;)     
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 11:50:35 PM »
15 is too high for the 152. 10 is fair enough.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 11:55:53 PM »
15 is too high for the 152. 10 is fair enough.

I never understood why it was ever perked at one time.
Lighten up Francis