Author Topic: 30mm damage  (Read 15649 times)

Offline Toof

• Copper Member
Re: 30mm damage
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2009, 11:41:49 AM »
This post won't be constructive to the points everyone has previously made in any way, but if you want a Tater....Go 37mm :) 9T all the way! Not much of anything in the sky (save the occasional Lanc or 24) that will shrug those off.

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2009, 01:01:13 PM »
Agent Smith if I am not mistaken.

(just a guess, but it looks like the same actor (actress <G>)

(edit: Hugo Weaving is the actor.  And I JUST NOW figured out he played Elrond in the ROTK movies.)

(edit:edit:  AND he was the V character in V foor Vendetta.  didn't know that either)
Yep, he's all those characters. That particular picture is from

"The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" (1994)

which also featured Terence Stamp (on the right), another actor better known for playing Real Bad-Ass characters.

(I believe that's SHawk on the left, before his mullet-augmentation surgery of course.  :D)
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2009, 02:17:34 AM »
you killed this thread
-AoM-

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2009, 07:31:27 AM »
on the contrary, i think the three pretty women in the pic breathed new life into this thread!  :O  :O  :O

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2009, 08:40:13 AM »
This post won't be constructive to the points everyone has previously made in any way, but if you want a Tater....Go 37mm :) 9T all the way! Not much of anything in the sky (save the occasional Lanc or 24) that will shrug those off.

I got lucky once in the midwar and found a set of Lancs while flying the P-39.  I thought, "Oh boy!  Spud-launcher time!" :t

The results were disappointing.  I didn't find the 37mm to have any great advantage over the 30mm Mk 108, and the RoF left me respecting the 108 a little more.  I know the 9T's cannon has better ballistics, and I enjoy it against fighters, but the 4-engine bombers can soak up a lot of 37mm before they show any damage.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2009, 11:02:48 AM »
I got lucky once in the midwar and found a set of Lancs while flying the P-39.  I thought, "Oh boy!  Spud-launcher time!" :t

The results were disappointing.  I didn't find the 37mm to have any great advantage over the 30mm Mk 108, and the RoF left me respecting the 108 a little more.  I know the 9T's cannon has better ballistics, and I enjoy it against fighters, but the 4-engine bombers can soak up a lot of 37mm before they show any damage.

I know the Mk 108 round carries a pretty large explosive charge (85 grams of HA41), but if I'm reading Tony William's data correctly, the NS-37 HE rd should have over twice the explosive charge. Weird indeed.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2009, 11:04:26 AM »
I know the Mk 108 round carries a pretty large explosive charge (85 grams of HA41), but if I'm reading Tony William's data correctly, the NS-37 HE rd should have over twice the explosive charge. Weird indeed.

I have film, should I post it?

Edit:

Here's the film.  http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?kd2donjnyjg  My aim sucks at first, but it was disappointing to only see the flaps come off after the hits on the left wing.  Apparently the explosive shells can only damage one thing at a time, depending on where they hit.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 11:19:14 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2009, 11:25:11 AM »

I love the 9T.  But the bug ongoing with taters applies to it as well.  Hit an AFK Stuka with 7 solid 37mm hits to wing....nothing.  I mean NOTHING.  No flaps, ailerons..nothing.  Fired each round singly, into wing from at or under D200.

37mm HE round should kill with one round.... at least it USED to.

Switched to other wing, used the 7.62mm only....that wing came apart after maybe 15-20 hits.  That does not make any sense whatsoever.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2009, 12:09:48 PM »
Mosquito PR.Mk XVI hit my two or three 30mm rounds from an Me262:

And note that the wooden structure and skin of the Mosquito was resistant to explosive damage compared to aluminum aircraft.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 12:11:23 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2009, 12:41:02 PM »
And note that the wooden structure and skin of the Mosquito was resistant to explosive damage compared to aluminum aircraft.
I recall reading in the past that the Mossie's wooden skin also leaked fuel less when punctured. This was because the plywood skin punctured "cleanly", without the jagged tears produced by cannon rounds in aluminum skin. This apparently minimized the "venturi" effect, which served to suck fuel out thru the puncture. Another benefit was the reduced affect on aerodynamics produced by the clean holes, as opposed to the drag and disruptive flow caused by jagged, torn skin.

Btw, don't stare at the tail too much and miss the damage to the flap... Ouch! :uhoh

Is it me, or does the left elevator look down, and the right elevator up?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2009, 12:45:06 PM »
Yes, I am sure that didn't do good things for the hydrolics.

After being hit the pilot dove the Mosquito past the safe diving speed listed in the handbook in order to escape and then spend about 30 minutes dodging the Me262's attack passes before the Me262 gave up.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2009, 01:06:28 PM »
Yes, I am sure that didn't do good things for the hydrolics.

After being hit the pilot dove the Mosquito past the safe diving speed listed in the handbook in order to escape and then spend about 30 minutes dodging the Me262's attack passes before the Me262 gave up.
That's a Hell of a long time to avoid passes. Kinda like paying dodgeball with bazooka's. Bet the 262 ran outa ammo.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2009, 02:51:06 PM »
Is it me, or does the left elevator look down, and the right elevator up?
What right elevator?

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2009, 03:08:25 PM »
What right elevator?
Look closely. That light colored "line" could be the trailing edge of the right elevator. (it's not the rear of the right horizontal stabilizer; it's too high) My guess is the left elevator torque tube was severed and the left elevator is simply hanging freely.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 03:11:01 PM by Cthulhu »

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2009, 09:11:48 AM »
Another tater to a spits wing with no damge, the 3 to the fuselage seemed to work though.

http://dasmuppets.com/public/Tec/DudTater.ahf
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH