Author Topic: 30mm damage  (Read 15679 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: 30mm damage
« Reply #165 on: July 07, 2009, 03:52:21 PM »
Just for the record: I don't have any problems with my 30mm's. Certainly not more than 1 in 100 fighters I hit with a tater won't go down immediately.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #166 on: July 07, 2009, 03:52:53 PM »
my god you guys dont give up.
Has anyone got film evidence of a dud tater in Offline Mode??

The issue is that there IS damage inflicted with these 'tater duds' whether that be a fuel leak, oil leak, dead engine, etc.  If it was a lag issue, no damage would occur and you'd just see the tater hit sprite on your end.  

Do you find there to be a problem with the intent behind this thread?  I don't think it's a whine by any means.  Just a means to try to find a solution to a potential problem or to get an answer that explains it.  Neither has occurred yet.

Just for the record: I don't have any problems with my 30mm's. Certainly not more than 1 in 100 fighters I hit with a tater won't go down immediately.

It definitely occurs more than 1% of the time, in K4s especially where it is more noticeable.  I'd say it's more of a 10-20% occurance rate.  If you are flying the 262 or 152, you might hit a guy 4 times with taters and one might be a dud and the other three nail him so you don't notice.  Maybe that's why you don't have an issue.  Fly the K4 though and you will see this more often with the one engine cannon.

Edit: 20% might be too high but it's definitely >5% and possibly even slightly higher than 10%.  I'll say 5-12% occurrence rate.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 04:00:09 PM by grizz441 »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2009, 04:33:43 PM »

It definitely occurs more than 1% of the time, in K4s especially where it is more noticeable.  I'd say it's more of a 10-20% occurance rate.  If you are flying the 262 or 152, you might hit a guy 4 times with taters and one might be a dud and the other three nail him so you don't notice.  Maybe that's why you don't have an issue.  Fly the K4 though and you will see this more often with the one engine cannon.

The K-4 is my main tater deliverer vs fighters, and I'm very conservative on the trigger.
and when I see a hit, it's over. I'd say not even once per tour an enemy fighter survives the first hit. The last one I can remember was a Spit 16 that had an oil hit only... and that was several tours ago.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #168 on: July 07, 2009, 04:38:31 PM »
Just to cement your data points.. How many kills do you get on any given tour?  Can you safely say you land hits all over the targets, not just in specific spots?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 07, 2009, 06:25:48 PM »
Just to cement your data points.. How many kills do you get on any given tour?  Can you safely say you land hits all over the targets, not just in specific spots?

I'm not good enough to consistently hit only specific spots. With the awkward ballistics of the 108 I'm just glad to hti the plane ;)

When I attack a fighter in a K4 I have almost always "mode 2" engaged  - that means I fire only the MK 108. I try to fire single shots or very short bursts, the latter one mostly when doing off-angle snap shots.

The number of kills on any given tour vary.. from 30-300 in k4. Sailman is my handle since tour 100, since then I have
385 kills in G-14 (almost all with MK 108)
842 kills in k-4

I'd guess I didn't have more than 2 or 3 "whoa, he should be dead" experiences vs fighters during that time.

Ta152 doesn't matter in this context, as I'm using my weapons in a different way there.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #170 on: July 07, 2009, 06:59:52 PM »
Just for the sake of this thread  :D
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,256729.msg3178668/topicseen.html#msg3178668

Film:
http://www.mediafire.com/?tjzmzh3tzg5

30mm hits all over and it just flies away.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Buffs are another story entirely
Lotta evidence of them taking massive damage only to be able to RTB.
(I wish the damage to the buffs in game was visually better addressed.)

These planes made it home

20 mil damage
Enemy 20mm cannon hits ignited electrical equipment in the nose of "Belle of Maryland", including the pilot's instrument panel. Numerous fire extinguishers barely kept the fire under control until landing (with a burning engine as well). As soon as the B-17 came to a stop the nose erupted in flames, and while the crew escaped safely, the bomber was ruined beyond repair.
Source: Mighty Eighth War Diary by Roger A. Freeman

Tinkertoy, 'jinx ship' of the 381st BG, after the October 8, 1943 mission to Bremen, Germany.  Men point to holes made by 20mm cannon shells which decapitated the pilot.
SOURCE: The Mighty Eighth by Roger A. Freeman

A German 20mm shell peeled the metal covering off this bomber like skin off an onion. Note the small caliber bullet holes in the fuselage star.
SOURCE: Target: Germany by Life Magazine

This ball turret shows the effect of a 20mm shell which exploded against the faceplate. The gunner was wounded, but survived the jarring blast.
Text and photo source: Air Classics magazine, July 1972

According to a visitor (Patrick), this is a B17G (build by Lockeed Vega in California) 42-39988 QJ-A from the 96th BG, called "The Iron Ass", flown by 1st Lt Paul Herring. She was damaged by FW190 during a mission to Brunswick on the 21st February 1944. The crew member near the hole is Charles (Chuck) Haywood, the tail gunner of this plane. He was shot down four days later, flying with another crew. The Herring crew was shot down eight days later, flying B17F 42-30412 QJ-B "Mischief Maker"; they were on their 15th mission.

What happened here? Duel For the Sky (by Herbert Molloy Mason, Jr.) states that an Me-262's heavy cannon tore open the side of this Fortress, but according to the Mighty Eighth War Diary (by Roger A. Freeman) the B-17 was hit by an 88mm shell , blasting a special radio operator and the ball turret gunner in his turret out of the aircraft.

This is just stuff from fighter damage.
More damage of planes that RTB from larger caliber stuff (88's) here

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/b-17/contents.htm

Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #171 on: July 08, 2009, 12:24:55 AM »
or like when you unload 600+ rounds  on a plane and they get a gas leak

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #172 on: July 08, 2009, 06:05:36 AM »

Is it me, or does the left elevator look down, and the right elevator up?

well have a 30MM explode in your butt and I bet your arse gets in a twist too LOL
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #173 on: July 08, 2009, 07:47:18 PM »
The issue is that there IS damage inflicted with these 'tater duds' whether that be a fuel leak, oil leak, dead engine, etc.  If it was a lag issue, no damage would occur and you'd just see the tater hit sprite on your end.  

Do you find there to be a problem with the intent behind this thread?  I don't think it's a whine by any means.  Just a means to try to find a solution to a potential problem or to get an answer that explains it.  Neither has occurred yet.

hey grizz, good to see you around. Good point about lighter damage caused by tater sprites but i never saw it happen myself. Ive hit the engine block and made them ditch a few times. I love 109s as much as the next person, but first the flight model now the weapons...what will be asked for next when they sort this 'problem' out?

May I also remind you that for anyone being shot at by a 109 this is not a problem at all...

And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Hopper

• Silver Member
« Reply #174 on: July 10, 2009, 02:08:35 AM »
http://www.mediafire.com/file/y2ft2wdwmnt/30mm quit working.ahf

Same sortie on Titanic Tuesday this week.  3 30mils into a p-38 and he flies away.  HO at the end spit flies away and gets another kill in the full length film after getting a tater in the mouth.  Hopefully just a TT bug.
Hopper

JG/11

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #175 on: July 13, 2009, 12:34:50 AM »
Hopper first spit didnt take a 30mm at all, and P38 took 1 tator. :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #176 on: July 13, 2009, 01:54:18 AM »

hey grizz, good to see you around. Good point about lighter damage caused by tater sprites but i never saw it happen myself. Ive hit the engine block and made them ditch a few times. I love 109s as much as the next person, but first the flight model now the weapons...what will be asked for next when they sort this 'problem' out?

Heya batfink.
I posted a few pages back (page 9) a picture along with film in an Me262 hitting an La7 with 3 taters and him flying off with an oil leak.  You can watch it if you wish if you've honestly never seen a dud tater before.  (Btw in the DA the weakest tater I've ever seen is a dead engine shot)

I don't think anything is being asked for other than clarification to the rules we are playing by and contradictions to the supposed rules.  If HiTech came in here and said 30mm bullets are programmed to have varied lethality then the question would be answered.

As for the 109 flight model, I've never heard anyone around me ever complain about it, but...say for hypothetical analogy sake, from speed range 170-180, elevator controls randomly stopped working sporadically in the 109K4.  If there was a thread posted about it, would that be a complaint about the 109 flight model or kind of like what is going on in this thread?  Get my drift?

Offline Hopper

• Silver Member
« Reply #177 on: July 16, 2009, 12:47:26 AM »
Hopper first spit didnt take a 30mm at all, and P38 took 1 tator. :salute

How can you tell, when I watch the film I pause when i think it is a tater and compare to the 13mm hits.  When I do this I tally it up to what I posted.  Maybe I just don't understand the visual cues, but the puff is alot larger on the 30mil then 13.

I still see 3 on p38.  1 in 1 burst and 2 in another.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 12:50:51 AM by Hopper »
Hopper

JG/11

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #178 on: July 16, 2009, 01:24:21 AM »
How can you tell, when I watch the film I pause when i think it is a tater and compare to the 13mm hits.  When I do this I tally it up to what I posted.  Maybe I just don't understand the visual cues, but the puff is alot larger on the 30mil then 13.

I still see 3 on p38.  1 in 1 burst and 2 in another.
I played it in slow motion and only saw the 1 on the 38, I may be wrong but I know the 30mm it completely different from the hits from the smaller caliber weapons, they arent hard too miss :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #179 on: July 16, 2009, 06:26:58 AM »
Slow motion and fast forward will give different hit sprites from what happened.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you