Author Topic: Wasted Upgrade???  (Read 930 times)

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
Wasted Upgrade???
« on: February 17, 2009, 04:02:51 PM »
I updated my graphics card today to a GeForce 9800GT 1024MB, the old one wasnt bad, just wanted to upgrade it, which now I realize wasn't as bad as I may have thought.

Also, Installed a new power supply which upped the power from 305hz to 700hz and also upped the memory from 4x215mb = 1GB to 2x2GB = 4GB :(.

You would think that the picture and frame rate should skyrocket, but unless I do not have something set right, I really am not impressed and surely not worth the nearly 400 bucks I tossed in the crapper.  :cry

Any ideas of what I probably missed here, I have checked the settings and the picture is just a bit better than before, in game there wasnt really a recognizable difference from before at least nothing that I could tell.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

EDIT:
This card has two DVI connections, I had to use the DVI to VGA Monitor adapter, could it be that my monitor just isnt cutting the mustard...?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:17:00 PM by Dadsguns »

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Re: Wasted Upgrade???
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 04:21:58 PM »
Maybe AH is not the real test. It's more cpu intensive than graphic intensive. Try it in a more graphic intensive game. Also, visit waffles settings and see what is there.http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,231506.0.html

Make sure have completely deleted the old drivers too. You may need to run a driver cleaner and reinstall the drivers. Also, you may want to download the latest drivers from the manufacturers website. Another thing, compare clock speeds and core speeds from the new to the old. Another thing you can do is if it has an auto tune program use it. It appears to me that cpus and graphics cards work off each other. Now I'm no expert on that. It does appear that way. Noticed a trend while over clocking and then adjusting my vc. Oh make sure you have all the optimal items checked in game video settings and if you haven't, down load the 1024 package.

Last thought, I don't think fps is quite the way to judge a card. For instance my fps is almost always 60 because that is my monitors maximum refresh rate.

What is your cpu btw?

These are just my thoughts and I am no expert. I am very interested in what folks post about this.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:31:51 PM by Getback »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 04:26:53 PM »
Is your vsync on? 
"You rebel scum"

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 04:29:33 PM »
Depends, what did you update from?  9800 is good, but if you already had something decent/good it wouldn't do much.
This game as mentioned is more CPU intensive, and as of current isn't the most beautiful game out there (No offense HTC) yet, the coming upgrade will help that.
What FPS did you get/settings did you use, before?  Now?  FPS/FR will not "skyrocket" if V-sync is on and you already had good FR.
Make sure all drivers are updated.  And a VGA monitor on a DVI adapter won't make a difference (I use the same thing).
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 04:32:42 PM »
Is your vsync on? 

:rofl  I am not sure what that is?

Depends, what did you update from?  9800 is good, but if you already had something decent/good it wouldn't do much.
This game as mentioned is more CPU intensive, and as of current isn't the most beautiful game out there (No offense HTC) yet, the coming upgrade will help that.
What FPS did you get/settings did you use, before?  Now?  FPS/FR will not "skyrocket" if V-sync is on and you already had good FR.
Make sure all drivers are updated.  And a VGA monitor on a DVI adapter won't make a difference (I use the same thing).

The card that was installed came with the computer from dell,, AVI I believe.   I was getting 40-70 in game before, no noticeable difference with this new card roughly the same.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:35:38 PM by Dadsguns »

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 04:36:31 PM »
:rofl  I am not sure what that is?

V-Sync:  Keeps Frame rates from exceeding the Refresh rate of the monitor, typically 60, 72 or 75.  Without V-sync the Frame Rate will increase to above the listed numbers, but will cause Screen tearing.  Highly recommended to not turn off.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 04:39:50 PM »
V-Sync:  Keeps Frame rates from exceeding the Refresh rate of the monitor, typically 60, 72 or 75.  Without V-sync the Frame Rate will increase to above the listed numbers, but will cause Screen tearing.  Highly recommended to not turn off.

I currently have the NVIDIA set for 60, options are 70,72,75.  The resolution for the monitor is set at 1280x1024 60HZ
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:41:53 PM by Dadsguns »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 04:41:25 PM »
If your frame rate is dropping below 60 with the 9800GT, then your computer may be CPU bound.  What CPU does it have?

With Aces High II, you normally get more bang for your buck from a faster CPU.  We do focus on the flight model quite a bit which is very CPU intensive.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:43:16 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 04:45:39 PM »
If your frame rate is dropping below 60 with the 9800GT, then your computer may be CPU bound.  What CPU does it have?

With Aces High II, you normally get more bang for your buck from a faster CPU.  We do focus on the flight model quite a bit which is very CPU intensive.

Pentium 4 CPU 3.40GHz
3.39 GHz, 3.00 GB of RAM
32 BIT

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 04:47:54 PM »
When you downloaded the new drivers they should have installed he Nvidia control panal.  It sounds like you need to go there and do some tweaking.

You should be able to set antialiasing and anistropic filtering to 8-16x.  Turn vsync on and turn on triple buffering.  Set image quality to "quality".  Force mipmaps.  There's a ton of settings in there and you won't get great quality until you play with them.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 04:48:25 PM »
If that is a Prescott Pentium 4, then your computer is definately CPU bound.

How many background processes are running?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 04:52:02 PM »
If that is a Prescott Pentium 4, then your computer is definately CPU bound.

How many background processes are running?

Says Intel Pentium in the system information.  There are 60 process running  :confused:

Sitting Idle CPU usage is at 54%

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 04:54:32 PM »
I think we found the culprit. 

Idle is at 54%!!!  I assume that is with no applications running, including the game.  It should be at 0%, with an occasional bump to 1%.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:56:36 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 04:56:33 PM »
Says Intel Pentium in the system information.  There are 60 process running  :confused:

Sitting Idle CPU usage is at 54%

yikes!
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 04:58:39 PM »
I think we found the culprit. 

Idle is at 54%!!!  I assume that is with no applications running, including the game.  It should be at 0%, with an occasional bump to 1%.

Yikes, one word. FSautostart if using xp.

I'm also willing to bet you have spyware, adware etc on that computer. You probably need to do some serious cleaning if not a restore.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 05:03:04 PM by Getback »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter