Author Topic: Questions  (Read 2969 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Questions
« on: February 23, 2009, 06:02:32 PM »
I'm interested in participating in a KOTH sometime in the future.  However, I read the long list of rules and I can't for the life of me understand what's supposed to happen or what a typical event looks like.

Can someone post a good film of a typical KOTH fight?  Thank you. :aok
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
Re: Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 07:20:53 PM »
I still have a couple TOC films, and I think it was Battfink that post some training films in TOC. Look in the Help and Training forum and somthing about "FM2 fun at TOC" somthing similar to that. He probably has the best show there.

Hope that helps. <S>
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 03:00:54 PM »
Bosco, I looked for it, but could not find it.  So the request for film still stands.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 03:40:14 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 03:21:07 PM »
-Basically, we all takeoff in the same plane when the host CM enables flight.
-Players then climb to altitude, hard 6k cap, and separate to allow everyone a generally fair start. Fair being nobody is tailgating them and they are D5.0 away from the nearest contact.
-CM announces fight is on and then its fight to the death for that round. 1 life and no rearming allowed. These are not gentlemen fights, you fight to win the round. You get to an engagement, you engage.
-Host CM keeps track of players and gives a countdown for the last 5 or so until the 'Last Two' are flying. These last two fight to the death.
-Winner of that round picks plane for the next round.
-Rinse and repeat until someone has won three rounds and wins the event. These three rounds do NOT have to be in order and you can come and go to the arena as you please. In other words if you had to leave to get a beer, pay the rent, or anything like that your previous round wins will still be there when you return.
-Winners and wabbits, people who have won two rounds, get reservations for the year end Tournament Of Champions. Winner of that gets a plaque. You can see an example of this years plaque int he 2008 TOC thread.

Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 03:44:24 PM »
When the fight begins, do people tend to pair off and it's respected?  Does it frequently happen that you get 7-8 players in a every-man-for-himself furball?  It just seems like it would be a conga-line...  I would like to see film. ;)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 04:03:21 PM »
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
United States Marine

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 04:09:27 PM »
When the fight begins, do people tend to pair off and it's respected?  Does it frequently happen that you get 7-8 players in a every-man-for-himself furball?  It just seems like it would be a conga-line...  I would like to see film. ;)

It all depends...  If you keep track of your radar and spawning patterns, and maybe delay your climb for a minute or two after takeoff, you can usually set yourself up for having your first fight be a 1v1, but that is not guaranteed to last very long.  It all depends on the ebb and flow of other people's battles.

I will say I've found it pretty rare to go through a single round without having at least 90 seconds (assuming I survive) of 1v1 time.

You're not allowed to sit on the sidelines and let someone else finish up a 1v1, though.  You HAVE to attack.  So, no, 1v1's are not "respected."
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 04:18:21 PM »
You're not allowed to sit on the sidelines and let someone else finish up a 1v1, though.  You HAVE to attack.  So, no, 1v1's are not "respected."

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  By "respected" I meant that people fight their own 1vs1 (if they have that option) instead of those same two guys jumping into another 1vs1.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 05:04:10 PM »
Sorry, I should have been more clear.  By "respected" I meant that people fight their own 1vs1 (if they have that option) instead of those same two guys jumping into another 1vs1.

Well, you're not supposed to run from a fight, you're not supposed to pass up one fight to get to the next, and you're not supposed to gang anyone other than wabbits, so, yes, people will generally fight their "own" 1v1 instead of both intervening in another nearby.

Just come check one out.  If you enjoy good fights, you'll enjoy KoTH.  It's my favorite special event by far.  Most of the people in it are interested in good fights and so that's what you'll mostly get.  Now and then you'll find a guy skirting the edges and rules, trying to find any way to win at all cost, but for the most part I think the majority are in it more for the experience than the result. 

It's great fun :aok
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 05:05:12 PM »
There is always going to be one guy after another. It usually ends up that you will get more than just you and the other guy that you are fighting, you will have some guy win his 1v1 and come in a pick the guys fighting. Always be ready for that. I always say somthing before I get into a fight with more that two, were I have the advantage.

When TOC was going on, that was the best fights I've had in KOTH. They tried more to get involved in 1v1 then get into some other fight, and I remeber that Bruv did that a couple of times wile I was fighting. Also, after I win the fight and go to a fight that I don't want to interrupt, I bring back the RPMs, so that you can conserve fuel, and try and let them finish it out. Usually, I still get there before they are finished, but somtimes there is nothing you can do.
I'm pretty sure that you know this, but HOing isn't realy nice and most players don't like it. I would try not to HO most of the time, unless it's an angle that you think that he couldn't take. I would try and take every advantage I could take, other than a HO.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
United States Marine

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
   Remember, you should be IN a fight or HEADED TO closest fight at all times. People do not wait until a fight is finished they must engage when they arrive.
It's a test of peoples Situational Awareness. They should see you entering and if engaged you should be vigilant for that 3rd person in.
   KOTH is a you against them at all times where fights can range from just fighting the single player next to you. At its best/worst if you're a wabbit it can be you against everyone around you as they are all trying to win the round, keep the event going and give themselves a chance to win the event.
   Wabbit being a player who already has won two rounds and will win and end the event with their next round victory.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 05:33:56 PM »
Gavagai, it's a pretty big cage and by the time the fight starts there is usually a lot of separation between most players.  The key is killing quickly.  If it takes you 5 minutes to kill somebody in a 1v1 chances are you are going to get ganged.  If it takes you 30 seconds to kill somebody, chances are you are going to be flying to the next fight with the upper hand.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 06:19:09 PM »
Thankyou for the explanations.  I think I have some idea of what's supposed to happen and will give it a try.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 05:40:12 AM »
There is always going to be one guy after another. It usually ends up that you will get more than just you and the other guy that you are fighting, you will have some guy win his 1v1 and come in a pick the guys fighting. Always be ready for that. I always say somthing before I get into a fight with more that two, were I have the advantage.

When TOC was going on, that was the best fights I've had in KOTH. They tried more to get involved in 1v1 then get into some other fight, and I remeber that Bruv did that a couple of times wile I was fighting. Also, after I win the fight and go to a fight that I don't want to interrupt, I bring back the RPMs, so that you can conserve fuel, and try and let them finish it out. Usually, I still get there before they are finished, but somtimes there is nothing you can do.
I'm pretty sure that you know this, but HOing isn't realy nice and most players don't like it. I would try not to HO most of the time, unless it's an angle that you think that he couldn't take. I would try and take every advantage I could take, other than a HO.

it was only the once bosco, you were on the deck having it large with murdr for a few minutes,  I killed AKdogg quick by surprising him, going low and fast caught him out.  I had 5k when you two were on the deck.  I had been observing Bearkats doing alot of in and outs of other fights and would have felt like a hypocrite if I had gone straight in and picked you both.  I turned back for the nearest enemy and ran into suns, so instead of a cluster shreck we had 2 good 1 vs 1's.  IMO if you have the choice to do that and it doesn't effect others you should.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 06:05:54 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 02:58:33 PM »
That's how I feel about it, and I still remember that the most. I said it before and I am still appreciate it.

But, to be the devils advocate, you are supposed to be going or in a fight at all times.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
United States Marine