Author Topic: Russian Bombers intercepted....  (Read 2981 times)

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
Russian Bombers intercepted....
« on: February 28, 2009, 09:54:28 PM »
I was sitting at Logans Roadhouse earlier today eating a delicious Southwestern BBQ grilled chicken with a loaded baked potato and some Mac. I was sitting near a TV and I was with my little cousins. So I watch CNN instead. Im reading the bottom. And I see russian Bombers intercepted by Canadian jets. Im like wtf. Does anyone have anything else about this?
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Russian Bombers intercepted....
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 09:58:25 PM »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 10:04:46 PM »
The russians are coming.

"Emergency! Everyone to get from street!"

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 10:39:27 PM »
Happens all the time, much more often in the last couple of years though.  They recently sent a Bear right through the middle of a major naval exercise and buzzed a carrier just a couple of hundred feet right over the deck.  On top of that, they sent a small fleet to South America and did an exercise with Venezuela and Cuba to prove they could project power into our backyard and that they have friends on our continent.

I think it's posturing in the face of the growing realization that energy economics will drive international relations and global pressure in the coming decades.  They are a major energy exporter with a general weak economy and currency, and they do not want other nations to think that they are in any way susceptible to external pressure.

I suspect that the only real military aim of the Russian flights, aside from continuing to prove the presence of a real deterrent and to test our reactions, is to give them a bit of leverage over the issue of the US basing ballistic missile defenses in Europe.  That whole concept really bugs them because it throws 60+ years of both officially negotiated policy and unofficial posture out of whack, and for them to reasonably and equally respond to BMD systems in Europe would require restarting the arms race that bankrupted the Soviet Union in the first place.  Their only conceivable response to BMD in Europe would be better ballistic missiles (think stealthy and maneuverable boost, midcourse, and re-entry vehicles), and that would require a corresponding upgrade of both our own missile deterrents and missile defenses.  Expensive race with no finish line.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline KgB

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 10:46:26 PM »
I was sitting at Logans Roadhouse earlier today eating a delicious Southwestern BBQ grilled chicken with a loaded baked potato and some Mac. I was sitting near a TV and I was with my little cousins. So I watch CNN instead. Im reading the bottom. And I see russian Bombers intercepted by Canadian jets. Im like wtf. Does anyone have anything else about this?

Breaking news!
During routine training flight prehistoric Russian bombers were spotted by two f-18 in international air space!120 miles from Canadian air border they turned around  and returned to base,as they always do.
You guys can blow any little bullcrap out of proportion.Its amazing.

P.S.My apologies to Americans.
"It is the greatest inequality to try to make unequal things equal."-Aristotle

Offline CAVPFCDD

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 10:47:41 PM »
putin has been slowing giving himself power, russia is getting shady again, esp after the whole georgia war.

and the russian air force is nothing to worry about, saw this a couple weeks ago  

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSTRE5152J020090206
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace." - Duane Allman

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." Jerry Garcia

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 10:50:03 PM »
Breaking news!
During routine training flight prehistoric Russian bombers were spotted by two f-18 in international air space!120 miles from Canadian air border they turned around  and returned to base,as they always do.

Yea defiantly blowing it out of proportion
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 10:53:18 PM »
putin has been slowing giving himself power, russia is getting shady again, esp after the whole georgia war.

and the russian air force is nothing to worry about, saw this a couple weeks ago  

At least 1/3 of the USAF F-15 fleet is also in pretty bad shape.  All F-15s (except most of the F-15Es) have fairly restrictive operational limits right now because they're so old.  Our fleet is in terrible shape and the only reason why we aren't seeing the same problems the Russians are is because we "retired" so many that we have a lot of spare parts for our dramatically reduced fleet.

And of course we're going to shut down the F-22 line after building less than half of the number we really need (in my opinion)...
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 11:18:30 PM »

You better include our own little air force into that.  What was wearing thin previous to Gulf War part Duex is now in real shambles.  It's no wonder they're trying to transition many pilots into Predators.

Remember, all F15's grounded a year (2?) or so ago, (after that accident where one came apart in-flight, in Missouri I believe, though could be wrong) put a lot of stress on an already aging -16 fleet.  Even with all our maintenance, I'd be really surprised if we weren't too far behind the Russian's problems.  Remember also, they put much less stress on their existing airframes in the 90's, when they couldn't afford to fly them and just maintained 'em in readiness.  Meanwhile, we flew the crap outta our birds, in three warzones (Gulf 1, 2, and Afghan) and one conflict (Serbia). Our fleet of fighters have real issues.

The Viper is a great plane, but its' legs make it suspect. In-Flight gas just makes another tempting target for a real foe to take out, which is why you want something with legs, if possible. As Eagl said, we didn't even contract out for less than half the prior build on the F-22.  I don't know how we're going to control the airspace over any near term conflict, honestly, if we're contested seriously.  With smaller nations beginning to get generation 4.5 jets (J-10, J-11, Typhoon, Rafale, Gripen, SU-30 MK)...... it really could get messy.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 11:24:31 PM by MORAY37 »
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 01:00:01 AM »
Breaking news!

Actually, I think noone is "blowing this out of proportion."    They were spotted by NORAD, get your facts straight.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 02:27:13 AM »
Actually, I think noone is "blowing this out of proportion."    They were spotted by NORAD, get your facts straight.   

I think ridley was being humorous KGB. Canada feels like the Russians shouldnt be that close (190km) since they set the limit at 200km but it is not a breach of international law. Putin would say 'just checking!'  :D
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline KgB

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 09:33:08 AM »
Ah! The good ol' "get you facts straight" ,i think its even worse than "go read a book"

CNN news presented it as "intercepted",not "spotted".Not straight enough?
"It is the greatest inequality to try to make unequal things equal."-Aristotle

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 09:40:49 AM »
They have been flying the old bears around for the past year and a half buzzing U.S. airbases
there are some vids on youtube
The Bear Returns
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline CAVPFCDD

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 09:53:40 AM »
And of course we're going to shut down the F-22 line after building less than half of the number we really need (in my opinion)...

well right now our airforce is more than capable, and i don't forsee us needed all that many of them, with the economy I don't think its a bad thing that they're shutting down the line, those things cost a pretty penny... which we don't have.

i still believe, or at least would like to believe our airforce is far superior to Russia, like i said, Putin has slowly been gaining power, and they're becoming much more secretive, I'll bet even more planes they have can't fly. Remeber they went broke in 89' and we kept spending, so I'd like to believe we're still miles ahead of them.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace." - Duane Allman

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." Jerry Garcia

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 10:20:25 AM »
LOL, the Canadians actually have fighter jets?  WTG guys up north. 

I don't think that Tu-95 has a chance to win against CF-18.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group