Author Topic: Russian Bombers intercepted....  (Read 2980 times)

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
Re: Russian Bombers intercepted....
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2009, 07:51:48 AM »
See Rule #2
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 08:11:17 AM by Skuzzy »
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2009, 08:23:35 AM »
As a side note, Capt Riel Erickson was the first woman in history to intercept a Bear in Norad Airspace during this "incident".

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 08:26:32 AM by Gman »

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2009, 08:58:56 AM »
Isn't that the Riel Erickson who was featured on the Discovery channel programme 'Jetstream'.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2009, 09:36:27 AM »
Poking around like that as well as intercepting, - all a waste of time and money. I thought that the Russkies had something else to do with it  :devil
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2009, 10:26:48 AM »
Well, a young German once did that....in a Cessna :D

Didn't he land in Red Square?
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2009, 10:27:44 AM »
So this brings up a question that's had me think... Does a prop planes engine give off enough heat for a A2A heatseaking (i.e. aim-9x) to lock on to? Or would it be up to the Radar Guided Missiles?

Car engines give off enough heat.....so I think the answer would be yes. ;)
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2009, 12:26:04 PM »
It landed on the red square, yes.
The Russkies plotted it several times, however the chain of command never gave fast enough permission to shoot it down before it was gone. Well, it was a flight on the deck.
Anyway, an IR should do it. Gets a tad more tricky if you're hugging the deck though.
BTW, a Raptor gives much more IR. And even looking into tank warfare, the target of choice would be the Abrams....
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2009, 07:49:59 PM »
As a side note, Capt Riel Erickson was the first woman in history to intercept a Bear in Norad Airspace during this "incident".

(Image removed from quote.)

I doubt this is true.  The USAF has had many female F-15C pilots stationed in Alaska for more than a decade, and it's unlikely that none of them participated in the many intercepts in the last couple of decades.

Can't prove it, but I don't believe the claim.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2009, 03:30:40 AM »
The intercept in Icelandic airspace were, if memory serves, counting by the hundreds during the last decades.
The interceptors would usually fly close to the Bear, and the papers frequently posted pictures from close up.

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2009, 09:21:10 PM »
Capt Riel Erickson was the first Canadian Female fighter pilot to intercept a Russian aircraft.

It was not this latest Obamamessiah media frenzy though. It actually happened over a year ago IIRC.

Cheers,
RTR
The Damned

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2009, 11:11:14 PM »
the commy russians are gonna nuke us!! RUN AND TAKE COVER!!  :O :O :huh :furious :noid

:noid

-BigBOBCH

<--- post 800, WOOT
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »
LOL, the Canadians actually have fighter jets?  WTG guys up north. 

I don't think that Tu-95 has a chance to win against CF-18.

I hope that comment was made in jest.