Author Topic: Question for squadron leaders and members  (Read 4529 times)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
Re: Question for squadron leaders and members
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2009, 06:51:46 AM »
From the JG54 website and I quote: :lol

Larry I did enjoy the schooling you gave me the other night in the AvA. Man I have a long way to go, your great in that 110! I like what the AvA has to offer lately and will be back for more. I was a little disappointed when the first 2 fights ended before I got my gear up, but after that things went better.
<S>
spelling...

edit
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 07:15:10 AM by captain1ma »

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2009, 09:42:02 AM »
So the point of the story is that the AvA is a hardcore training arena. Because #1 we're good pilots, #2 We fight one way and thats to improve our skills #3 You will become a better pilot when you learn from the regulars.

Fudgums, every arena is a training arena in some sense, ;) but I get what you're saying.  1vs1 fights are a lot of fun, but to be a working standard of AvA combat there's a narrow range of conditions that have to be in place:

• Fewer than 10 players in the arena
  • Everyone wants 1vs1 fights
  • An Axis-Allied aircraft matchup where most performance traits are similar

That last point is underestimated.  Unless you call e-fighting the crap out of a SpitV with a 190A-5 a good 1vs1 fight, that matchup will never work,  yet it's historical and shows up now and then.  Or, A6M vs F6F?  That's also a historical matchup and makes for lousy 1vs1 fights, unless, again, you call e-fighting the crap out of the other guy a good duel.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2009, 12:48:03 PM »
  Unless you call e-fighting the crap out of a SpitV with a 190A-5 a good 1vs1 fight, that matchup will never work,  yet it's historical and shows up now and then. 

depends on who's flying the 190!  :)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2009, 01:44:28 PM »
Unless you call e-fighting the crap out of a SpitV with a 190A-5 a good 1vs1 fight, that matchup will never work,  yet it's historical and shows up now and then. 

Ah, rolling back the years!

Back at the beginning of 2006 we had a staff member named Sable, who created an ETO rolling plane set that covered the entire period from 1940 through 1945.  It was compressed, of course - I can't remember the manner in which he figured out how to keep the compressed time proportional to real life - but still it took more than a month to run it.  One of the remarkable things was seeing how long the British were fighting Spit 5s against 109Fs and 190A5s; it seemed to take forever before that plane set changed.  True to history, the FWs - once the Luftwaffe people learned how to fly them - absolutely dominated the Spit 5s, and it wasn't until the IX showed up that things evened out again.

Not that the RPS story directly relates to your discussion here, but it was a lot of fun and it occurred back when we had a few different squads who regularly came to the AvA.

- oldman

Offline trap78

• AvA Staff Member
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2009, 06:01:27 PM »
A long time ago there was a two week rolling plane set created by peril. It's been used quite a bit over the years and does a good job of recreating the "swings" as one side introduces a new design and then the other counters. I'm sure the timeline could be compressed into one week, but this wouldn't really allow players much time to enjoy the generational ebb and flow of each new match up; and yes I remember the Spit drivers getting beat up during the 2-3 day dominant period of the 190 within the two week set up. I also remember how the zeke dominated the early war PTO only to be dominated itself by the later war USN planes.

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2009, 06:06:03 PM »
I generally try not to post much in the forums anymore, but I do have to say that I disagree that the AvA has to be a 1v1 area.  The problem is that generally the only larger squad in the AvA is JG-54, so squad tactics generally can't be performed without it being a real pain for everyone else.  Many times we'll split between the sides and try squad tactics with whomever happens to be on similar sides.

There is a misnomer that the AvA must be 1v1's to be fun.  I don't think many people are really saying that.  There's a difference in a 2v1 or 2v2 etc and someone racing in from the wild blue just to pick and run away.

One of the best fights I've had in the past month was a 3 vs me in the Late war arena.  2 Ki-84's and a Spit 16 against my C.202.  The trio had a good teamwork setup.  

The thing is, I knew I was going into a 3vs1 so I was prepared.  I think the main gripe in the AvA is they see a high con circling so they assume they are in a 1v1 and ignore the other guy, then he comes in for the pick.

If a few squads can be formed out of the squadless guys who frequent the AvA, I think we can have a lot of fun doing 5 vs 5 etc.  I thought we'd see some of that when this big squad came into the AvA for their squad night.  (I forge the name)  But they left shortly after coming in.
P-47 pilot

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2009, 06:22:47 PM »
 I thought we'd see some of that when this big squad came into the AvA for their squad night.  (I forge the name)  But they left shortly after coming in.

The one that PMed and told some of on range to leave because they were having a squad training night?
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2009, 02:46:27 AM »
Larry,

Not to step on Republic's answer, but I believe that you had a similar experience that I did.  The PM was polite and I was on my way to work in a matter of minutes so I replied, and told them to enjoy their practice and to come back.

My first initial feeling was, "Who gave them the right?"  But since, we had been talking on country vox previously and he had explained what they were doing, I found that his request was merely to leave the area in which they were engaging.   In this case the AvA was no different from any other night, if I had chosen to stay and look for fights from any of the other numerous bases. 

You and I had a brief encounter (which I loss rather quickly) and if my schedule had been any different, it would have been my pleasure to oblige you with some target practice.  :D

I think that you and I, and the majority of the regulars to the AvA, enjoy the kind of adventure provided by multiple contacts.  So, seeing the numbers above 20 in the arena, and logging in and being asked not to participate was quite a tease.  :noid

But one thing that the squad's activity did, was draw more attention to the arena as an alternative to the others and consequently brought more players in than an arena showing 0- 3 players logged in.

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2009, 07:40:15 AM »
I never understood why they didn't just move to a corner of the map...instead of upping right where we were already fighting lol

It was a huge map, many places to fight.
P-47 pilot

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2009, 04:20:29 PM »
The arena is back to 0 whenever I log on.  :confused:

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2009, 06:39:28 AM »
However, you get what you give. certain groups will ho if you ho first, will gang if you gang, will pick if you pick, etc. etc, etc.

the planeset scare people because they have no advantage. the idea is to level the playing field. i go up against guys and have a decent shot at winning. i fly in the MA's with the same plane and im dead before i get started.

give the arena a chance. some nights are good, some nights are not. just depends on players and attitudes.

Seeing as you were HO'ing, ganging and picking after you posted your "Etiquette thread."   You shouldn't really be having a say on this.    I was on the side with Republic, Larry and B4.   We weren't HO'ing, were outnumbered (ganged) and picked.   

If you're gonna post this kind of hypocritical stuff to flip your nose to Gavagai, make sure you are covered.   In this case, you aren't even close.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2009, 07:14:09 AM »
Seeing as you were HO'ing, ganging and picking after you posted your "Etiquette thread."   You shouldn't really be having a say on this.    I was on the side with Republic, Larry and B4.   We weren't HO'ing, were outnumbered (ganged) and picked.   

If you're gonna post this kind of hypocritical stuff to flip your nose to Gavagai, make sure you are covered.   In this case, you aren't even close.

ah yes, another ray of sunshine from someone that never flies AVA.  :aok

as for me hoing ganging and picking, i pretty much doubt that. ask anyone who knows me! ah but then again thou knowest all!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 07:16:25 AM by captain1ma »

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2009, 08:10:52 AM »
ah yes, another ray of sunshine from someone that never flies AVA.  :aok

as for me hoing ganging and picking, i pretty much doubt that. ask anyone who knows me! ah but then again thou knowest all!

You did and your hypocrisy is why a lot of folks do NOT fly in there.   Your lying here is not helping your "quandry."   If you changed your crappy attitude, you'd get more people in there.   

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2009, 08:47:21 AM »
Karaya you need to just stop now. As you remember he was asking people a while back to try and fly a certain way. Then came the whines from everyone saying he cant tell them how to fly. Shortly after that the tread was locked. So the F what if he HOed, picked, did what all those other people that whined in that thread do. Why should he fly a certain way when no one else is willing to do? People don't fly the AvA because of people like you who come in here and cry about things that happened MONTHS ago. You say he shouldn't have a say in this. Why not? Seeing he flies the AvA and you don't why should you have a say in this?
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2009, 11:10:13 AM »
Karaya you need to just stop now. As you remember he was asking people a while back to try and fly a certain way. Then came the whines from everyone saying he cant tell them how to fly. Shortly after that the tread was locked. So the F what if he HOed, picked, did what all those other people that whined in that thread do. Why should he fly a certain way when no one else is willing to do? People don't fly the AvA because of people like you who come in here and cry about things that happened MONTHS ago. You say he shouldn't have a say in this. Why not? Seeing he flies the AvA and you don't why should you have a say in this?

Most people in life have a hard time accepting the cold hard facts.   This is yet another example.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC