Author Topic: I love the Pony... but...  (Read 3434 times)

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
I love the Pony... but...
« on: March 11, 2009, 12:41:53 PM »
I can't seem to get consistant kills in it...  I get plenty of alt and speed before I enter a fight but still can't capitalize.  I think every one has caught on to the whole bnz thing.  All they need to do is a little sweep either direction and I over shoot.  Or I'll burn all my E trying to saddle up then I get picked...  Hmmm...

So I have been flying the Yak-9U.  Gosh I love this plane.  Not much ammo but it forces me get close.  It turns well and goes fast.  I feel like I am cheating on my pony though... 

Any thoughts...?
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Ratpack1

• Nickel Member
      • The Ryan Sayer Show @ OnTilt Radio
Re: I love the Pony... but...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 12:46:53 PM »
Just tell your pony you have to work late. :rofl
When you get where you're going, that's where you are! -Mike Brady
172nd Rabid Dawgs
"The Real" Commander of Awesome (Stick "Ozzie Nelson" Pig)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 12:50:33 PM »
I would establish a second identity for when you are the Pony.  God forbid if they ever met up! :uhoh
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 01:10:31 PM »

Not much ammo but it forces me get close. 

Are you doing this in your Pony?  The most important thing I learned from flying a Yak is to get close.  What convergence are you using in a Pony?  Maybe get closer to your intended victim before opening up on them.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 01:32:54 PM »
I know how ludicrous this sounds but.... you could actually try fighting with it.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 01:47:26 PM »
I know how ludicrous this sounds but.... you could actually try fighting with it.
:lol that does seem to work the best  :lol
Lighten up Francis

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 02:23:03 PM »
You're probably not setting up high probability shots.  If you're like most 51 pilots I see, they're impatient and force the issue too quickly, getting nothing but a weak front quarter shot which they totally blow, and then run away.  Instead, when you see the bandit begin his break turn, pitch up into a high yo-yo and use your roll in the vertical to match his turn.  Then you come down right on top of him and not even an A6M can turn hard enough to out-match your roll rate for lining up the shot.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 02:27:12 PM »
The pony isn't a "one trick" pony unless all you use it for is one trick ( BnZ)  Use yo-yos to keep your speed, but press the attack. Make a pass, anticipate where the target will be, pull into the turn to keep your lead, take your shot, and yo-yo watching what he does. Move right in on the next attack. Repeat till target is dead, or you start getting below too many of his friends. Then reset. Attack with it, don't just fly around cherry picking.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 03:16:26 PM »
You don't need plenty of alt, please do not buy into the stereotype that all a pony can do is hover over a fight and BnZ.  If people are avoiding your attmepts, chances are you are just taking bad angles and also allowing them to be fast. This is a very simplified response but start there.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 03:19:42 PM »
The pony is a lousy choice for a bnz ride - the guns are too weak for it unless you're a good shot.  Keep it moderately fast, make your direction changes in the vertical, use a zero-G pushover for quicker acceleration when you get slow and don't pull high G for extended periods of time. Energy management, SA and planning are the keys to successful fighting in a pony. The P51's aren't the best at anything in the game but they are good enough at everything to be a very dangerous fighter in the right hands.

The pony's picked up a bad rap in the game because most players (maybe it just seems like most) seem to want to only HO-bnz with it. It sounds like that's what you've been (mis)using it for. Try fighting it - it will suprise you.

Cheers
asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 03:34:13 PM »
I can't help with how to do what I have come across but the Pony is scary in the right hands. You just need to find somebody who can fly them...like the guy laughing up there (Uptown), Grmrpr, AKDG,....just a few names and there are more. When you come up against somebody that uses a pony properly it certainly makes you fear them, and see that it is actually a formidable opponent even if you are in a good turner.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 03:41:46 PM »
A big part for me is knowing when to lead someone in a turn, or to follow their turn.  Most will try to keep their gunsight on the enemy no matter what.  However the problem with this is you blow tons of E in a high-g small radius turn, while they are in a low-g large radius turn.  Makes it easy for them to go vertical after one or two turns and bait you into a stall.  Wait for them to blow their E, follow their turn PATH, don't just point your guns at them.  Once they give you the opportunity to get a good burst in em is when you should pull lead. :)
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 03:54:17 PM »
Pull your convergence way in. Don't shoot until d400 or less.  Also look at what you are doing wrong.  I am in a slump and its all me...just having a hard time shaking the monkey.  Taking bad angles, crappy merges, etc.
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 03:59:08 PM »
I think its my gunnery with the 51.  I can fight in them too.  I actually think I can do pretty good turning with it with just about anything.  I can't seem to get my bullets on thier target...  By the time I finally land enough lead I am getting picked.  

I also am not a cherry picker or an alt tard,  I try not to HO.  I really try to saddle up.

I have been messing with convergance.  1st I had them out to 500 now between 250-300.

You're probably not setting up high probability shots.  If you're like most 51 pilots I see, they're impatient and force the issue too quickly, getting nothing but a weak front quarter shot which they totally blow, and then run away.  Instead, when you see the bandit begin his break turn, pitch up into a high yo-yo and use your roll in the vertical to match his turn.  Then you come down right on top of him and not even an A6M can turn hard enough to out-match your roll rate for lining up the shot.

^
That makes the most sense.  I am not yo yo-ing enough.  I burn my E within like 3-4 merges then I am defensive.  Thanks.  Thats probably why other 51s kill me...

SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 04:05:01 PM »
It's all about concentration of fire. If your convergence is to far and only 3 of your 50s are hitting your target while the other 3 are flying past it takes twice as long to get lethal damage.  It's not like tossing taters where 1 hit can drop an enemy.
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA