Author Topic: English Tanks  (Read 1342 times)

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
English Tanks
« on: March 11, 2009, 11:35:48 PM »
 United Kingdom:  WW2 Tanks.

Crusader MK III
Crusader MK III, AA II
Cromwell ?
Churchill MK VII
Comet

POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: English Tanks
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 11:42:01 PM »
Yes, they are.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 09:15:58 AM »
I think there are other gaps that need to be filled prior to adding any of those tanks.  Just my opinion of course.

When they do, I hope HTC considers the Churchill or Cromwell as first choice.  Just keep in mind that the neither would offer any advantage vs another tank in the MA, save maybe for not costing any perk points.   :)   Actually, they both would be at a disadvantage due to the 57mm main gun, that is, unless HTC finds a way to manipulate reload times and make it similar or better than tht Pzr IV.  The 57mm would be fine vs the Pzr IV within typical AH2 ranges.

Either way... there are other gv's that should be added prior, imo.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 10:04:53 AM »
I think there are other gaps that need to be filled prior to adding any of those tanks.  Just my opinion of course.

When they do, I hope HTC considers the Churchill or Cromwell as first choice.  Just keep in mind that the neither would offer any advantage vs another tank in the MA, save maybe for not costing any perk points.   :)   Actually, they both would be at a disadvantage due to the 57mm main gun, that is, unless HTC finds a way to manipulate reload times and make it similar or better than tht Pzr IV.  The 57mm would be fine vs the Pzr IV within typical AH2 ranges.

Either way... there are other gv's that should be added prior, imo.
HTC would have to pay us perks to drive a Churchill  :uhoh. The Cromwell however, with it's speed and gun (it's a 75mm, though about on par with the Sherman's), could be fun.

Comet
The Comet would be a lot of fun, but it would definitely be perked.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 01:46:57 PM »

Crusader MK III
Crusader MK III, AA II
Cromwell ?
Churchill MK VII
Comet

all way inferior to all other countries WW2 armor. Comet was a decent tank but  saw very little action.

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 03:46:12 PM »
Just throwing stuff out there its just a wish list. :salute
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 04:10:34 PM »
Yeah, it's always good to ask for something new here, but if you follow some of the other recent GV threads in this forum then you'll see the above comments are the common retort ("we really need more GVs, just not those GVs").

The truth is that there are a ton of WWII GVs that aren't in the game yet, and when you only have ~5% (guesstimation) of WWII GVs currently in the game, it's a beast to figure out which 2.5% you're going to add in the next GV patch/upgrade (*wink-wink* Tiger II & IS-2 *nudge-nudge* :pray ).  Of course soon after that patch/upgrade people will be back on here throwing ideas around for the next GV because the game will still only have 7.5% of the possible total.

Don't let the disgruntled and deprived GVers get to ya (though you could of added more in the OP than just the title and listing those tanks in the body.  As it is only the people that have been reading this forum regularly and that are paying attention to the numerous GV requests have the vaguest idea that this is another GV/Tank request thread).
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 04:46:12 PM »
I would like to see at least one American tank before another British tank is put in game.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 05:41:36 PM »
I would like to see at least one American tank before another British tank is put in game.
Yeah, but which one Larry?

1) M3 Grant => Straight to the hanger
2) Stuarts might be fun, but they'd probably get slaughtered.
3) Firefly's are cheap, so why would anybody want a plain-jane M4
4) American TD's would stay chronically turreted by aircraft. (unless HTC adds the folding roof, which still wouldn't stop aircraft AP rounds)
5) And no way are we going to see the M26 until a bunch of other tanks are added first.

So which one would you add?

Personally, I think the Panther is coming next, but at a high perk cost)
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 06:37:28 PM »
I hope we see a TD added (STuG Please! :pray ) and maybe some improvements to the armor penetration/shell-bouncing model (maybe the new terrain is the first step since a big component of armor penetration has to do with the angle of your armor (and if your on the side of a hill then there is that to factor in) and the direction your tank is facing when you take a hit) before the Panther rolls into AH.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 06:54:46 PM »
HTC would have to pay us perks to drive a Churchill  :uhoh. The Cromwell however, with it's speed and gun (it's a 75mm, though about on par with the Sherman's), could be fun.
The Comet would be a lot of fun, but it would definitely be perked.

Ah, I just checked the numbers and you're right, there were more Cromwell's with the 75mm that saw battle than there were Cromwell's that saw battle with the 6lb'er (57mm).  I thought it was the other way around.  However, something tells me the 75mm that the Cromwell had was not the same as the 75mm that the US M4 Sherman had.  Can anyone comment on this?  From what little info I have on the Cromwell's 75mm gun says it had a large portion of compents that were interchangable with the British 6lb gun.

Also, I didnt realize the Cromwell could move along as well as it could either.  At 36mph it would be shoulder to shoulder with the T34 series.  Nice.  Also, according to one of my sources, "the gun (75mm) proved to be easy to lay and fast firing".  Perhaps the Pzr IV has met its match?   :)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 07:35:44 PM »
Ah, I just checked the numbers and you're right, there were more Cromwell's with the 75mm that saw battle than there were Cromwell's that saw battle with the 6lb'er (57mm).  I thought it was the other way around.  However, something tells me the 75mm that the Cromwell had was not the same as the 75mm that the US M4 Sherman had.  Can anyone comment on this?  From what little info I have on the Cromwell's 75mm gun says it had a large portion of compents that were interchangable with the British 6lb gun.

Also, I didnt realize the Cromwell could move along as well as it could either.  At 36mph it would be shoulder to shoulder with the T34 series.  Nice.  Also, according to one of my sources, "the gun (75mm) proved to be easy to lay and fast firing".  Perhaps the Pzr IV has met its match?   :)
It wasn't the same gun -- in fact, IIRC it was a modified 6 lbr.  But the reason they did so was so that it could use the same ammunition as the ubiquitous M4.  So, not the same, but very similar, and in game terms, likely identical.

And I wouldn't dis the 6 lbr as an AT weapon.  It was quite potent given its size, and the US adopted it as their standard towed AT gun (not that the US relied very heavily on towed AT guns).  IIRC its penetration power was on par with or slightly superior to the 75mm and Russian 76.2mm.  The Brits also developed APCR and APDS rounds for it, making it more lethal still.  But what it lacked was a decent HE round, which is why the 75mm was chosen for the M4 and later Cromwells.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 08:32:43 PM »
Someone must have been watching Tank Overhaul last night.  Comet restoration.  Nice latewar Brit tank
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 01:46:55 AM »
Yeah, but which one Larry?

1) M3 Grant => Straight to the hanger
2) Stuarts might be fun, but they'd probably get slaughtered.
3) Firefly's are cheap, so why would anybody want a plain-jane M4
4) American TD's would stay chronically turreted by aircraft. (unless HTC adds the folding roof, which still wouldn't stop aircraft AP rounds)
5) And no way are we going to see the M26 until a bunch of other tanks are added first.

So which one would you add?

Personally, I think the Panther is coming next, but at a high perk cost)

I think a regular M4 would be nice. Sure some people wont drive it because of the M4/FF but you still see the M8, Pnzr, and T34/76s running around, and I think a lot of people would still drive it like those tanks. And lets not forget that it would play a huge roll in MW, AvA, and SEAs.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 08:57:58 AM »
It wasn't the same gun -- in fact, IIRC it was a modified 6 lbr.  But the reason they did so was so that it could use the same ammunition as the ubiquitous M4.  So, not the same, but very similar, and in game terms, likely identical.

And I wouldn't dis the 6 lbr as an AT weapon.  It was quite potent given its size, and the US adopted it as their standard towed AT gun (not that the US relied very heavily on towed AT guns).  IIRC its penetration power was on par with or slightly superior to the 75mm and Russian 76.2mm.  The Brits also developed APCR and APDS rounds for it, making it more lethal still.  But what it lacked was a decent HE round, which is why the 75mm was chosen for the M4 and later Cromwells.

If that is the case, I'd like to the Cromwell introduced with the 6lb'er instead of the 75mm becuase it is something "different".  It would still have the capability to go head to head with the rest of the tanks, but it would suffer sightly in taking down OBJ with an HE round effective somewhere between the 37mm of the M8 and the 76mm of the T34/76.  The benefits of the Cromwell would be its fast speed, sound armor (hopefully no turret made of cheese like the T34x), and an average AP (or improved with APDS rounds) but fast firing 6lb'er cannon.  The down side would be reduced ability to bring down OBJ as quick as the 75mm+ cannons.

I'm in.  Order it up, HTC!!!   :D