Author Topic: A-10 warthog too close to Brits.  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Re: A-10 warthog too close to Brits.
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2009, 08:39:03 AM »
As a Brit i can honestly say i dont hold anything against Americans who kill friendlies. I just imagine how many of the enemy we would have to kill without American help, and of crouse, how many Brits would be killed by the enemy who have been killed by American CAS missions.

S! USAF
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2009, 01:56:25 PM »
Dont be hating on the Apache, it is by far the best helicopter in the world

I wouldn't - the Army loves em :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2009, 04:42:49 PM »
These witch hunts on soldiers who kill friendly's just sucks, people die and 9 times outta 10 the man/woman pulling the trigger has no idea the people they are killing are not enemy, you know dang well not a single one of those pilots climbed into that cockpit knowing they were about to kill a "friend".

Friends, enemy, civilians, supporters of any cause.

$|-|1T happens people, you had all better learn to live with that fact, or your never gonna get outta this life alive.  :rock
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2009, 06:31:39 PM »
I don't have skin in this thread, but since we are talking FF - lets take 2 examples of how it happens. You really need to go through the full chain of events from the sensor to shooter end to see how these things can happen. The first 2 links are, oddly enough from A-10 CAS aircraft who during OIF were working with a FAC trying to ID some GV's with Orange panels. They did turn out to be British, but pay attention to the comms by the FAC when the A-10s asked if there were any friendly ground assets in their box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK10pqBpz8g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3THYnJ-PK6U

The second example is a USA AH-64 during the 1st Gulf War which was directed towards what was thought an enemy GV group. The data he was being relayed didn't match with what the computer was telling the pilot. Both cases are tragic, but its extemely important again to see how the shooters decision was made at the time. In the Apache's case, wind drift changed his perspective and track over the ground so it appeared he was looking at the bad guy - when the computer was telling him no twittleing way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8-wr8_qRBQ

Anyway, Stony - you know me well. I'm a C4ISR guy - you know my work history and who I worked for. I'm all about getting the right information to the right people at the right time.

Awe @#$%... The A-10 one is horrible. I mean, they did what they could! They were told no friendlies in the area, what can you do from there? Anyone know the outcome for those pilots? It sickens me reading those youtube comments of people who just don't get it... It seems to me NOT to be the ineptitude of the pilots. That was DEFINITELY a comm. breakdown. No question, and I can think of nothing more those pilots could have done.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 06:35:54 PM by Serenity »

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2009, 12:09:01 AM »
I wouldn't - the Army loves em :aok
yes im bias
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2009, 12:45:22 AM »
For Serenity.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/feb/07/military.topstories3

Thanks Tec. Even though they were absolved of guilt, they will probably take their own private guilt to the grave. I really don't see how anyone having seen that video could possibly blame the pilots. Multiple times it was confirmed there were no friendlies in the area... and in a world where information is spread so quickly and freely, I wouldn't be surprised to hear of enemy vehicles using the same friendly identifiers on the tops of their vehicles...

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2009, 04:35:36 AM »
serenity you should probably read this too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/190th_Fighter_Squadron,_Blues_and_Royals_friendly_fire_incident_-_March_28,_2003

whereas some of these incidents are unavoidable, most, like this, are avoidable and only occur because proper proceedure isnt followed. I cant help feeling that the incident would not have happened the way it did if the pilots had been full-timers rather than reservists.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli