Author Topic: 5'' guns preventing you from a capture?  (Read 1319 times)

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
Re: 5'' guns preventing you from a capture?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 06:41:14 AM »
Doesn't the SB actually have to hit the troops? I thought its shells were AP?
If so, it seems unlikely someone would've nailed all 40 troops with 1 SB! (I doubt even 40 sb's would do the trick!)

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 07:34:35 AM »
 :cry
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 07:54:31 AM »
Doesn't the SB actually have to hit the troops? I thought its shells were AP?
If so, it seems unlikely someone would've nailed all 40 troops with 1 SB! (I doubt even 40 sb's would do the trick!)

hint: dont land a goon next to the maproom if its ranged by SB, those shells are pretty effective against a parked C47 :D
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline smokey23

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 10:35:40 AM »
Dry spawning LVTs and shelling a maproom are two entirely different things. Dry spawning a LVT is exploiting a bug in the game. Shelling a maproom is a good tactic for defending your base.

If this is youre example then i'll have to counter with SB's were meant to destroy ships at sea not fire onto youre own base I concider this an exploit as well. after destroying the VH and all the gv's that are on a port, as well as deacking all 8 guns and stop GV's from approaching from a spawn point the shore batt should not be a factor that the assaulting country should have to deal with.

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 10:53:21 AM »
If this is youre example then i'll have to counter with SB's were meant to destroy ships at sea not fire onto youre own base I concider this an exploit as well. after destroying the VH and all the gv's that are on a port, as well as deacking all 8 guns and stop GV's from approaching from a spawn point the shore batt should not be a factor that the assaulting country should have to deal with.
the SB wont be a factor if you kill it.

Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 11:16:18 AM »
If this is you're example then i'll have to counter with SB's were meant to destroy ships at sea not fire onto you're own base I concider this an exploit as well. after destroying the VH and all the gv's that are on a port, as well as deacking all 8 guns and stop GV's from approaching from a spawn point the shore batt should not be a factor that the assaulting country should have to deal with.

Shore batteries were meant to defind the shores against the enemy. If it was just meant to kill ships then why aren't the shells AP instead of HE. I don't know about you but any time I'm attacking a base that has a shore battery that and ord are the first thing I hit because I know what they can do. From what you're saying killing troops from a maned ack at a V base or port is an exploit to since they're main task was to shoot down enemy aircraft.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 11:49:01 AM »
I'm positive it was not the shore battery, I saw the shells landing every 2-3 seconds.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 12:06:19 PM »
Yeah it wasn't a shore battery because P86 SBs cant range the base.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 01:40:57 PM »

Sounds like good defense to me, and poor planning (as Larry kinda hinted at) on the part of the attackers.
IMHO, each shore base should have at least 4 SB's, and at least one of them should be sited to cover the town, with the ability to depress and fire into the town as needed.  I would gladly take the time to check each map for HTC to see how many needed "adjustments" to meet that criteria.  Well, not to add SB's, but to resite at least one to cover the town at each and every base located near the shore.
But that's just my opinion, I spend more time defending bases that attacking.  Attackers seem to run in hordes, and I don't like being a part of that.    :salute

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2009, 02:00:54 PM »
  I was there with Belial and tried to get troops in but they were definitly killed by the ship's 5". Very frustrating considering the attack on the port was going well but thier CV respawned very quickly and shelled the Map Room.  :confused: Ports are very hard to capture these days when Ships are near. OH well went somewhere else to fight.  :salute
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2009, 02:44:42 PM »
howbouts on baltic map.. shorebattery on one of the islands can shoot across the channel to the port... really mess with peoples heads! :uhoh

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2009, 05:11:17 PM »
howbouts on baltic map.. shorebattery on one of the islands can shoot across the channel to the port... really mess with peoples heads! :uhoh

You can do the same from A43 to A42 on the Baltic map.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song